Poll: Bush still blamed for economy

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Former President George W. Bush gets more blame for the country’s economic troubles than his successor or the Democrats who control Congress, according to a Harris poll out Wednesday.

Thirty-one percent of the 2,344 adults surveyed said Bush deserves the most blame for a rough economy, leading the second-place Wall Street by 6 percentage points.

Democrats in Congress were blamed by 16 percent of those polled, while President Barack Obama was blamed by 14 percent. Republicans in Congress were blamed by 9 percent of respondents, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke was blamed by 4 percent.

A majority of Democrats — 53 percent — blamed Bush for the economy. Republicans, meanwhile, blamed Democrats in Congress more than Obama.

“The memory of President George W. Bush and the state of the economy he left as part of his legacy still sticks in the craw of Americans,” wrote pollster Louis Harris in his analysis.

Republicans were also split when asked to identify the most powerful figure in the GOP.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney rated highest with 14 percent, but he was swamped by the 44 percent of respondents who were either “not sure” or would have picked someone other than the eight Republicans listed.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished second among Republicans with 13 percent. She was trailed by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader John Boehner and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor.

Read more: Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Former President George W. Bush gets more blame for the country’s economic troubles than his successor or the Democrats who control Congress, according to a Harris poll out Wednesday.

Thirty-one percent of the 2,344 adults surveyed said Bush deserves the most blame for a rough economy, leading the second-place Wall Street by 6 percentage points.

Democrats in Congress were blamed by 16 percent of those polled, while President Barack Obama was blamed by 14 percent. Republicans in Congress were blamed by 9 percent of respondents, and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke was blamed by 4 percent.

A majority of Democrats — 53 percent — blamed Bush for the economy. Republicans, meanwhile, blamed Democrats in Congress more than Obama.

“The memory of President George W. Bush and the state of the economy he left as part of his legacy still sticks in the craw of Americans,” wrote pollster Louis Harris in his analysis.

Republicans were also split when asked to identify the most powerful figure in the GOP.

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney rated highest with 14 percent, but he was swamped by the 44 percent of respondents who were either “not sure” or would have picked someone other than the eight Republicans listed.

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finished second among Republicans with 13 percent. She was trailed by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, former Vice President Dick Cheney, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, House Minority Leader John Boehner and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor.

Read more: Poll: George W. Bush still blamed for economy - Andy Barr - POLITICO.com

Yeah, let's see - Bush was in power for 8 years. President Obama has been in there for a little over 1 year and 3 months.

How could anyone think that Bush's messup would still be hanging around now?

Dont really care who to blame for it. I just dont like the fact that rather than promoting policies to fix it, the current administration is making things worse.

Unlike alot of people, blame games just really dont have a point to me.

And when Obama is voted out in 12, they will still be blaming him.

who is going to defeat Obama in 2012 in your opinion?

Well, now, if I could look into the future and tell you who was going to be the candidates in 24 months, I probably wouldn't be sitting here talking with you assholes. LOL

But since you asked...in my opinion...ANYBODY WHO RUNS AGAINST HIM HAS A HELL OF A CHANCE.

Being the primary cause, 31% ain't that bad. Although are we discussing the cause or current economy?

Funny... when Clinton left a horrible mess, it was all put on Bush by the DEMs.. shoe goes on the other foot, and the line of thinking changes...

I think the poll has one thing right though, from the REP respondents... Congress has more to blame on 'the economy' than the bum Obama does.. one hing is for sure, Obama is doing a lousy job with his supposed plan to 'fix' it

sheesh, clinton DID NOT leave a horrible mess....gosh almighty.....

yes, we had a tiny, tiny, tiny recession that began in March of 2001 and ended in November of 2001 Dave, after Bush took office, but can be attributed to Clinton, but Clinton also left President Bush, with a project budget surplus as well...President Bush began on better footing financially than any president in our recent history.

Dont really care who to blame for it. I just dont like the fact that rather than promoting policies to fix it, the current administration is making things worse.

Unlike alot of people, blame games just really dont have a point to me.

Unless, of course, you can clearly blame some "librul".

Stock market remaining in positive territory, jobs figures now starting to follow. Looks to me like the current administration is doing quite well considering the stinking pile they were handed when the assumed office.

Funny... when Clinton left a horrible mess, it was all put on Bush by the DEMs.. shoe goes on the other foot, and the line of thinking changes...

I think the poll has one thing right though, from the REP respondents... Congress has more to blame on 'the economy' than the bum Obama does.. one hing is for sure, Obama is doing a lousy job with his supposed plan to 'fix' it

My, my, another person trying to revise history. Clinton left a balanced budget, the longest economic boom in history of this nation, and a minor and inevitable adjustment to the market.

Bush left two failed wars, and an economy on the brink of the Second Great Republican Depression.

And when Obama is voted out in 12, they will still be blaming him.

Well, now, if I could look into the future and tell you who was going to be the candidates in 24 months, I probably wouldn't be sitting here talking with you assholes. LOL

But since you asked...in my opinion...ANYBODY WHO RUNS AGAINST HIM HAS A HELL OF A CHANCE.

Yep, about the same chance as the proverbial snowball.

From where you sit doesn't count with the majority of the people in this nation. And if the economy keeps recovering, and more people realize that the lies about the Health Care Bill were just that, Republican gains may be very minimul.

And if the Teabaggers continue their idiocy, we might see enough of a reaction that the Dems actually see some gains.

Yep, about the same chance as the proverbial snowball.

From where you sit doesn't count with the majority of the people in this nation. And if the economy keeps recovering, and more people realize that the lies about the Health Care Bill were just that, Republican gains may be very minimul.

And if the Teabaggers continue their idiocy, we might see enough of a reaction that the Dems actually see some gains.

It's pretty sad that Michael Steele is too dumb to realize that aligning the GOP with the Tea Baggers is hurting more than it is helping.

lying headlines do not the truth make... 31% blame booooooooooosh that would be you lunatics... so that means that 69% DO NOT blame boooooooooooooooooooosh

sheesh, clinton did not leave a horrible mess....gosh almighty.....

Yes, we had a tiny, tiny, tiny recession that began in march of 2001 and ended in november of 2001 dave, after bush took office, but can be attributed to clinton, but clinton also left president bush, with a project budget surplus as well...president bush began on better footing financially than any president in our recent history.

clinton gave al quaida ten years head start.. Yeah for clinton

Forum List

Back