Politics: The Difference Between Jealousy And Envy

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

1.There is a book, “Jealousy and Envy,” by Nancy Friday, that makes an interesting point about both politics and economics, and apples to the current circumstances in which America finds itself today.

Dick Morris uses the allusion this way:

“She differentiated between jealousy, which she said was a positive emotion (I want what you have, so I’ll work hard to make enough to buy it), and the opposite, envy (I hate that you have all this. I just want you not to have it. I’d rather see you die than have it.).

The Russians tell the story of Ivan, a devout Christian farmer who died in a fire when his house burned down. St. Peter greeted him at the gate and said, “You’ve led such a virtuous life. Is there anything I can do for you?” “Yes,” Ivan answered. “My neighbor, Boris, I want his house to burn down, too.”

And it’s no coincidence that this is a Russian story, because communism and wokeism are both based on envy. I hate you for your success and want you to die rather than enjoy it. But American capitalism is based on jealousy. I love your new car. I’d like to own a car like that. So I’ll work extra hours or go back to school so I can buy a car just like that.”

2.The aims of the Democrat Party fit perfectly into that explanation, as they couldn’t care less about the damage they do to either America or the American people.

3. Under this Democrat regime:

“ No police. No cars. No free speech. Crime runs rampant. Open borders. Terrorists and druggies food in. All drugs legalized. Huge taxes. Everything is determined by affirmative action.

No standards for doctors or professionals. Anybody gets in. Mass government medicine. Not enough doctors. Medicare swamped. Political correctness reigns. Climate change deniers guilty of a crime. Locked up. Criminals go free. Anti-Semitism. Anti-Israel.

Biden is like vonHindenburg was in Weimar [Germany]. Incapable of controlling Hitler. Biden is incapable of controlling AOC or Pelosi. So weak that he becomes Pelosi’s puppet, and she, in turn, is run by the likes of AOC.” “Everyone knows the Left is nuts, and Biden is weak, so put them together: No coal. No oil. No fracking. Permissive schools. Anything goes. Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial renamed. They had slaves. Reparations.”

“And Biden can’t deny it without pissing off his base. His convention becomes a brawl as progressives try to get their platform.”

“Trump is safe and sane by comparison.”
Dick Morris, "The Return"

It's as though they want America and Americans to simply die.

Last edited:
1663414844029.jpeg

1.There is a book, “Jealousy and Envy,” by Nancy Friday, that makes an interesting point about both politics and economics, and apples to the current circumstances in which America finds itself today.

Dick Morris uses the allusion this way:

“She differentiated between jealousy, which she said was a positive emotion (I want what you have, so I’ll work hard to make enough to buy it), and the opposite, envy (I hate that you have all this. I just want you not to have it. I’d rather see you die than have it.).

The Russians tell the story of Ivan, a devout Christian farmer who died in a fire when his house burned down. St. Peter greeted him at the gate and said, “You’ve led such a virtuous life. Is there anything I can do for you?” “Yes,” Ivan answered. “My neighbor, Boris, I want his house to burn down, too.”

And it’s no coincidence that this is a Russian story, because communism and wokeism are both based on envy. I hate you for your success and want you to die rather than enjoy it. But American capitalism is based on jealousy. I love your new car. I’d like to own a car like that. So I’ll work extra hours or go back to school so I can buy a car just like that.”

2.The aims of the Democrat Party fit perfectly into that explanation, as they couldn’t care less about the damage they do to either America or the American people.

3. Under this Democrat regime:

“ No police. No cars. No free speech. Crime runs rampant. Open borders. Terrorists and druggies food in. All drugs legalized. Huge taxes. Everything is determined by affirmative action.

No standards for doctors or professionals. Anybody gets in. Mass government medicine. Not enough doctors. Medicare swamped. Political correctness reigns. Climate change deniers guilty of a crime. Locked up. Criminals go free. Anti-Semitism. Anti-Israel.

Biden is like vonHindenburg was in Weimar [Germany]. Incapable of controlling Hitler. Biden is incapable of controlling AOC or Pelosi. So weak that he becomes Pelosi’s puppet, and she, in turn, is run by the likes of AOC.” “Everyone knows the Left is nuts, and Biden is weak, so put them together: No coal. No oil. No fracking. Permissive schools. Anything goes. Washington Monument and Jefferson Memorial renamed. They had slaves. Reparations.”

“And Biden can’t deny it without pissing off his base. His convention becomes a brawl as progressives try to get their platform.”

“Trump is safe and sane by comparison.”
Dick Morris, "The Return"

It's as though they want America and Americans to simply die.

Great thread.

There is a book, “Jealousy and Envy,” by Nancy Friday, that makes an interesting point about both politics and economics, and apples to the current circumstances in which America finds itself today.

It “apples” to the current circumstances?
Shows what happens when you Home Skool

I guess it comes down to apples and oranges with Conservatives

1663417796372.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I buy the semantic point (jealousy vs. envy), but one of the most vile human tendencies is to resent it when someone you know receives some benefit, even though it has nothing to do with you. For example, "That guy had $20,000 in student loans 'forgiven,' and it pisses me off." That's YOUR problem. It has nothing to do with you.

There is a sentiment I'm seeing more and more on line, and it is to PRESUME that anyone who is "rich" (relative to you, I suppose) got rich by some nefarious or undeserved process or happenstance. The middle-class work ethic is undergirded by the belief - incorrect in SOME cases - that some combination of talent, hard work, and intelligent risk-taking bring about financial success. If that belief goes away...if people presume that most success is the result of serendipity...then who would be willing to work hard to achieve it?

The aims of the Democrat Party fit perfectly into that explanation, as they couldn’t care less about the damage they do to either America or the American people.

4. For Comparison, Trump's popularity is built on achievements, not media hype.

He actually governed to help real working Americans.

“…Trump discovered a new ethnic group who had lain hidden in our politics, unknown to the oddsmakers, consultants, pundits, and analysts in the news media and the political establishment: the white high-school graduate living in middle America. “Fly-over country,” the insiders sneered. The states that don’t matter, and the voters who don’t really count.

Hillary famously called them the “deplorables.” Obama mocked them, saying, “It’s not surprising, then, that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren’t like them, or anti-immigrant sentiment, or anti- trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Low wages, closing factories, shrinking towns, and shattered dreams were the grief that gripped these Americans. Illegal immigration that dragged down wages and created a class of working poor, ruinous and unfair competition with China, and trade deals that let Mexico steal our jobs—those were the grievances. And when Trump ripped up NAFTA, sanctioned China, and built a wall along the Southern border—those were the solutions.”
Dick Morris

Dick Morris, “The Return”

I'm not sure I buy the semantic point (jealousy vs. envy), but one of the most vile human tendencies is to resent it when someone you know receives some benefit, even though it has nothing to do with you. For example, "That guy had $20,000 in student loans 'forgiven,' and it pisses me off." That's YOUR problem. It has nothing to do with you.

There is a sentiment I'm seeing more and more on line, and it is to PRESUME that anyone who is "rich" (relative to you, I suppose) got rich by some nefarious or undeserved process or happenstance. The middle-class work ethic is undergirded by the belief - incorrect in SOME cases - that some combination of talent, hard work, and intelligent risk-taking bring about financial success. If that belief goes away...if people presume that most success is the result of serendipity...then who would be willing to work hard to achieve it?

R.442b51767ba66938862c85b6842a4ce2.jpeg

The aims of the Democrat Party fit perfectly into that explanation, as they couldn’t care less about the damage they do to either America or the American people.

5. To Democrats, worshippers of government, there are no limitations on what government can do to citizens. And their view mirrors the godfather of the international Left: "The way to crush the bourgeoisie is to grind them between the millstones of taxation and inflation."
Lenin

"Democrats' Proposals Increase Taxes on Millions of Americans"

https://www.finance.senate.gov › ranking-members-news
6 days ago — Millions of Americans making less than $400,000 per year would see tax hike. Washington, D.C.--The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT) ...

What if you find that based on Federal taxes, state taxes, local taxes, gas tax, sales tax, parking fees, license fees, speed cameras, tolls, hidden taxes of all sorts......
....and the most regressive and insidious tax, inflation.........amounted to more than half your income at least?
Taxation to the point of slavery......or, at least serfdom.

Biden is hiring 87000 new IRS agents - Cointelegraph
https://cointelegraph.com › news › biden-is-hiring-87-0...

Aug 19, 2022 — Biden is hiring 87,000 new IRS agents — and they're coming for you. The Internal Revenue Service is hiring a fleet of new agents.

Exactly who will be the targets of the Democrat’s new army of IRS investigators?

6. “The Democrats propose that the government figure out what your investments, your home, your farm, your house, and your other assets were worth at the start of the year, and what they are worth at the end. Then they want to tax you ten percent of your gain.

It’s not a capital gains tax that only taxes the gain when you realize it by selling. But a haircut that taxes your capital gain even if you never cashed in and it remains, at most, a theoretical number.

The initial proposal is to tax only billionaires. But these taxes, once passed, have a way of trickling down so that they hit people of more modest means. Look at the Alternative Minimum Tax. It was originally levied on the wealthy who pay little or no taxes. But then, inflation and tax increases made it apply to tens of millions of us.” Dick Morris

1663430100434.png

7. Those taxes………Whose money is it?

"As a Nairobi bureaucrat, Barack Hussein Obama Sr. advised the pro-Western Kenyan government there to “redistribute” income through higher taxes. He also demonized corporations and called for massive government “investment” in social programs.

“Theoretically,” he wrote, “there is nothing that can stop the government from taxing 100% of income so long as the people get benefits from the government commensurate with their income which is taxed.”

Therefore, he added, “I do not see why the government cannot tax those who have more and syphon some of these revenues into savings which can be utilized in investment for future development.”
Like Father, Like Son – Obama’s Father: Government 100% Taxation of Income OK

8. The same view can be found in the Democrat FDR administration:

The attitude of the FDR government can be seen in these words of A.B. “Happy” Chandler, a former Kentucky governor: “[A]ll of us owe the government; we owe it for everything we have—and that is the basis of obligation—and the government can take everything we have if the government needs it. . . . The government can assert its right to have all the taxes it needs for any purpose, either now or at any time in the future.”

From a speech delivered on the Senate floor

May 14, 1943
Happy Chandler's dangerous statism - The Bluegrass Institute for Public Policy Solutions

Forum List

Back