Political Cartoons & Intimidation

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Killing Cartoons into Submission
By Kathleen Parker, Townhall
March 30, 2007

With an unintentional irony that might even tickle the Prophet himself, a new book called Killed Cartoons killed a cartoon. Not because it was bad, but because it was just too good.

The book, edited by David Wallis and published by Norton, features political cartoons that other publications considered too hot to handle.

Except for one -- a drawing familiar to cartoon watchers, the omission of which merely reiterates the premise that made the book necessary.

Glaringly missing in a history of killed cartoons is one by Doug Marlette that sparked Muslim outrage a few years ago. I know it's shocking that Muslims were outraged, but try to stay focused.

The cartoon depicted a jihadi driving a Ryder truck with a nuclear bomb in back with the caption: "What Would Muhammad Drive?"

Wallis says he fought unsuccessfully for the cartoon's inclusion, but "I know why it didn't run, and you know why it didn't run." He did note with admiration that Norton was the only publishing house of 15 he approached that had the "gumption'' to touch the book.

for full article:
http://www.townhall.com/columnists/KathleenParker/2007/03/30/killing_cartoons_into_submission

whatwould.gif

"What Would Muhammad Drive?":muahaha:
Me like.

I recently looked at the wikipedia's List of newspapers that reprinted those Danish Muhammad cartoons and was surprised how low the number of mainstream newspapers/magazines in the US was that had done so.

Forum List

Back