Political Beliefs: Managing diversity and consensus

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Debra K posted this msg which I thought brought up enough points to start a new thread
-------------
Debra K said:
Our country has a population of 321 million people and counting. With the exception of infants, perhaps, all the people in this nation harbor personal beliefs. Perhaps a large number of small children believe in the existence of the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus. Perhaps a significant percentage of people believe in the existence of a "God". But there is a significant diversity of thoughts and beliefs about what "God" wants or expects from people.

There exist thousands of religions and many, many millions of people in this country who subscribe to some tenets of the various religions.

Despite our vast diversity in beliefs, we cannot allow millions of people in this country to act upon their beliefs to the detriment of others.

Yes, the point is to PREVENT the beliefs of one or a few to impose on the public as a whole.
This is already happening. My point is to address it so people take responsibility for their beliefs
as an individual or as a group, and don't impose the cost or consequences on others for their beliefs.
EXACTLY.

My question to you and also others
is what in my language is making you fear that defending the belief of one person means infringing or imposing on others?

Is it because of the past problems with religious fundamentalists, who although only representing a small faction, get such a massive image or dominance in the media that we FEAR this is going to impose on everyone else?

And also, are you going to falsely attack and accuse me of this, because of the problems with other people. Is that fair, to assume that I would abuse govt to impose the belief of a minority on everyone else, if you fear OTHER PEOPLE have done this is the past or threatened to. When this is the VERY issue my whole POINT is to prevent and address. To STOP this type of imposition by separating these beliefs from govt and not allowing a minority interest to impose their beliefs on everyone else by fear driven politics.

That is a separate issue.

Debra K can you answer both
A. do we AGREE we are saying similar, we don't want beliefs by a person or group imposed on the rest.
B. we don't want govt abused to allow or enable this
C. the FEAR of groups doing this is also being associated with me for trying to address the problem,
even though I am trying to explain I believe in consensus not coercion, there is still FEAR that such a consensus process WILL be abused by these religious bigots and fundamentalists to overrule consent of others. This appears to be a separate issue. But if this fear is so prevalent, then it is blocking the consensus process from even being tried for FEAR that mediation will be hijacked and abused anyway
by religious fundamentalists who will still use it to push their beliefs on everyone else.

And you are including and associating me with people pushing and coercing others, and not forming real consensus by free choice as I believe in, but by political or social pressure but calling it democratic.

Debra K said:
There must be laws that are generally applicable to everyone so that we may "live in peace" side by side and to encourage our society to thrive for the benefit of all of us. Thus, the concept of liberty in this county does not mean "liberty to do whatever you please based on your own beliefs or self interests". Our founders organized this nation under the concept of ORDERED LIBERTY. Without law and order, there is no liberty ... there is no domestic tranquility ... there is no promotion of the general welfare ... there is no justice ... there is only survival of the fittest.

The supreme law of the land is the United States Constitution: "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The First Amendment to the supreme law of the land protects everyone's right (LIBERTY) to believe whatever sane or insane thing they want to believe.

Thus, I really don't know what your point is about "BELIEFS".

The law doesn't touch "BELIEFS"; the law governs "ACTIONS" a/k/a "CONDUCT", (which sometimes might include "inaction" when a duty to act exists).

Example: An insane person might engage in conduct that constitutes a threat to himself and/or others. Our concepts of ORDERED LIBERTY allow state governments to enact laws to involuntarily commit insane persons to treatment facilities for their own welfare and the general welfare of everyone else in society. Although involuntary commitment infringes upon the insane person's liberty interests, the state has a legitimate interest in protecting the insane person and the general public from harm. Under those circumstances, an insane person's CONSENT to the commitment doesn't matter.

Can we agree with those basic concepts about "BELIEFS" and "CONSENT"?

Dear Debra K
you bring up two or three areas we can address one by one
1. one is what if someone is legally or mentally incompetent, what about coercion or consent in the case of personal safety or public health and security
2. govt and securing peace - we can discuss where people's consent and participation
meets govt, and the relationship between people and govt that not all people frame the same way
3. what if someone's beliefs harm others, how do we balance liberty/religious freedom
with protecting the general welfare

1. To address issues of legal or mental competence, including mental illness criminal sickness, and what causes crime and abuses, I would require research and knowledge of spiritual healing that distinguishes the difference between what can be changed, prevented or cured, and what cannot, and also what cases are so dangerous the people need to be detained or supervised and not able to act as equal citizens.

We would have to establish this scientifically so we do not become like "minority report" and convict people on belief that they are dangerous. We won't have the legal games going on now, if we can perfect the process of diagnosis, treatment and cure. What I learned from people in the spiritual healing process, is that even if they aren't fully cured physically yet of their diseases or criminal/abusive disorders,
if they are healed in spirit first, then they will self-report when they are in danger or crisis and ask for help.
So this at least changes their situation where they are willing to seek and comply with authorities instead of being so criminally sick and self-destructive that they run from help or self-sabotage it or destroy themselves and others. At the very least, the spiritual healing methods recover their minds where they seek help and try to work through their problems instead of denying rebelling and making them worse.

This whole process is faith based right now, and needs to be medically researched, documented case by case, to establish the process of diagnosing which people are dangerous, or what stage of recovery or relapse they are in. The people healed spiritually can self-report, but the ones in denial require assistance.
This is a whole level of law that isn't even established yet, because there hasn't been concerted effort to research and develop the methods of spiritual healing that have worked to diagnose, treat and/or cure this level of mental and criminal illness. But the same methods have healed people of abusive or addictive disorders, both the offenders and the victims, so they break the cycle of mental and social disorder.

the way spiritual healing applies to the consensus process
is that the same therapy based on forgiveness and opening up to natural healing
also heals Relationships around the person.
So this includes political relations and conflicts that can be healed and resolved
by applying the same methods to the people and parties involved.

that is also faith based and would require studies to show how this works.
And even if there is proof that it works statistically, it remains faith based
where people still must choose the path of forgiveness and healing relations for it to work.
it can never be forced on people. it only works by free will because the changes are internal.
they cannot be coerced or decided from outside in, but must be made by the person by their free will.

2. the difference I find between people taking a conservative approach
and people taking a liberal approach to govt, is
the conservatives focus on people claiming their own authority and responsibility first,
so what they depend on through govt is kept to a minimal. the concept is rewarding citizens
with liberty, tax breaks, etc for investing in solutions and services through private sector programs.
they trust people to work things out by their free will and free market,
and want to keep govt for just the extreme issues of national security, and policing for crimes,
but not regulating social programs and finances for citizens who ought to learn to manage themselves.

I believe there should be tracks and access to credit and mentorships
in order to expect people to grow to that level of self govt and financial/political self-reliance,
but I do agree it should be the goal for everyone to have equal respect and support to develop to that level.

the liberals tend to focus on the people left out of the current system
where other people may have access to building their own businesses and enjoying
all the liberties and resources available, but not all people, not the poor and underserved
at the bottom of the social classes who deserve equal help and protection as those with more resources.

The problem I see is that instead of building schools and business/charity systems to help more people move up out of poverty, the shortcut is to turn to govt to create or mandate a program.
Why not create an educational system, and/or microlending system that works first,
and then model govt after what is proven to work. Instead we have people experimenting
with govt to provide "temporary" social security, benefits, welfare, etc. but this punishes
people for trying to become independent and rewards people whose financial needs are greater
than their means. It isn't a perfect system, and it gets abused by people not looking to become independent but who continue to depend on it.

Same with the problem of abusing tax breaks or deregulation, and instead of taking responsibility off govt, too many corporate interests take advantage instead, and cause damage to people or environment without check, in the name of freedom and profit, without counting the social or environmental costs in that equation.

Both ways can lead to abuses of govt protected liberty.

What I propose is to form an agreement among citizens and corporations to enforce the same Constitutional standards as govt, but by free choice, by the natural law of the Golden Rule,
that if we want these liberties, freedoms, peace and security protected for us, we must respect the same of others; equal due process, right to petition to redress grievances, equal protection of the laws.

and consent of the governed, so if people consent or dissent, have objections or contest something as unfair or against their interests or beliefs, then we would agree to a mediation or facilitation process to cite the problem or complaint, and work to redress that grievance until a satisfactory resolution is reached.

I am looking for ways to meet the standards of both
liberals who want to promote the general welfare and provide equal access and opportunities
for all and
conservatives who want this through the free market and private sector and not
dependent or micromanaged by govt

3. to address and prevent the beliefs of one individual or group from infringing on others
I would require that any organization, whether business religious nonprofit or political,
that registers for license to operate through the state as an entity
have means or access to protect due process of individuals to redress grievances
in order to prevent abuse or oppression by "collective" authority, resources or influence.

We could set up commissions to address complaints of political, religious or corporate abuses
or "conflict of interests and beliefs"
where the process is not punitive but corrective. where parties are rewarded for correcting problems
instead of our current system that is so adversarial that even charging someone with complaints
cast negative blame and assumption of guilt on one side or the other.

by focusing on the conflicts as between the two sides, not blaming one or the other,
we have a better chance of resolving these instead of getting emotional and political about them.

4. Lastly what I really hope to address is how
political beliefs cross the line between religious beliefs in private
and the role of govt and equal right to participation and protection regardless of creed.

If two groups have conflicting beliefs on how govt should be used or not used,
then both are going to impose on each other unless the policy or program is decided by consensus
and both beliefs are equally satisfied without favoring one more than the other.

Because this causes conflicts between religious freedom and the equal protections of others,
I don't see how we can continue to operate WITHOUT address political beliefs that cross the line.

that is why I suggest addressing and resolving as many such areas by party,
and to AGREE what policies or solutions to pass through govt AFTER hashing them out
where the different parties AGREE in advance so that all beliefs are included and represented equally.

So Debra K about beliefs, there are different levels of beliefs,
and by organizing around the main issues (like abortion and health care, gun rights and controls, voting rights, gay marriage and managing benefits, immigration and prison reforms)
we will NATURALLY organize people by like beliefs and streamline people into groups.

It won't be so chaotic, or a competition for one person or group to defend or dominate against others,
if we set up the environment to be based on REAL consensus, not the political coercion it is feared to be.
The Greens have a record of using the consensus building process, that is only derailed when people don't seek to resolve objections, so I would define the different roles so everyone can participate but the facilitators are separate from the people giving input, and the ones voicing objections only and not offering solutions. The process should be structured to accommodate the four different styles of responding to conflict (competitive, avoidance, collaborative, and accommodating) to make sure all people's interests are protected, regardless of their style of leadership, so there isn't bullying or coercion.

5. for JakeStarkey I will add that this process of consensus building
DOES NOT SUPERCEDE OR REPLACE THE CURRENT GOVT PROCESSES

This is like a marriage counselor working out issues with the families
BEFORE the couple gets married. Not marrying and then fighting over the issues,
that could be resolved and written up in a prenuptial agreement BEFORE hand so it AVOIDS fights
after the fact.

JakeStarkey for the two parties to agree to marital counseling
and a prenup in advance does NOT supercede or replace marriage,
but helps the marriage work better by addressing and resolving issues in advance.

6. as for the process of going through parties to organize and form a consensus on
issues of political beliefs, I cannot dictate what people need to make that work, but
I would guess it will take organizing by precinct chair/district for each party that has
democratically elected reps, going through public radio TV and online, community
centers and public schools in each district that wants to participate, and teaching
the basic principles and policies and offering assistance in facilitation and mediation
to resolve conflicts, so people feel comfortable having a group to go to address complaints.

Emily, 1 in a 1000 may read all of or a major part of the above. Why would we?

"Political Beliefs: Managing diversity and consensus"

You may not like this, you may not understand this, and you may not agree with this, but in our Constitutional Republic, in our free and democratic society, not everyone is going to get what he wants, not every belief is going to be acknowledged or respected, and 'consensus' will never be realized – it's naïve, utopian, and sophomoric to believe so.

Although inalienable, our rights are not absolute, they are subject to reasonable restrictions by government in accordance with the Constitution and its case law. Government is authorized by the Constitution, and at the behest of the people, to enact laws, statutes, and like measures concerning matters of regulation and taxation to realize the goals of the people as facilitated by government, where government is nothing more than an instrument of the people.

There will always be a portion of the population who opposes every law enacted, every regulatory measure implemented, and every tax imposed – but as long as these laws, regulatory measures, and taxes comport with the Constitution and the appropriate, relevant case law as determined by the courts, the only recourse left to those in opposition is to seek to amend or repeal the measures they oppose through the political process; and failing that, accept the will of the people and decisions by the courts that the people have indeed acted in accordance with Constitutional jurisprudence.

Consequently, your quest for 'consensus' is unwarranted and futile, an advocacy devoid of merit – it's time to understand and accept the genius of the Constitutional Republic the Founding Generation created for us, the liberties and freedoms the Republic safeguards, including its faults, failings, and lack of 'consensus.'

D
"Political Beliefs: Managing diversity and consensus"

You may not like this, you may not understand this, and you may not agree with this, but in our Constitutional Republic, in our free and democratic society, not everyone is going to get what he wants, not every belief is going to be acknowledged or respected, and 'consensus' will never be realized – it's naïve, utopian, and sophomoric to believe so.

Although inalienable, our rights are not absolute, they are subject to reasonable restrictions by government in accordance with the Constitution and its case law. Government is authorized by the Constitution, and at the behest of the people, to enact laws, statutes, and like measures concerning matters of regulation and taxation to realize the goals of the people as facilitated by government, where government is nothing more than an instrument of the people.

There will always be a portion of the population who opposes every law enacted, every regulatory measure implemented, and every tax imposed – but as long as these laws, regulatory measures, and taxes comport with the Constitution and the appropriate, relevant case law as determined by the courts, the only recourse left to those in opposition is to seek to amend or repeal the measures they oppose through the political process; and failing that, accept the will of the people and decisions by the courts that the people have indeed acted in accordance with Constitutional jurisprudence.

Consequently, your quest for 'consensus' is unwarranted and futile, an advocacy devoid of merit – it's time to understand and accept the genius of the Constitutional Republic the Founding Generation created for us, the liberties and freedoms the Republic safeguards, including its faults, failings, and lack of 'consensus.'

Dear C_Clayton_Jones
I trust people to say when they can compromise for the collective and when they cannot.

What I find is that by using the consensus based process,
then people can distinguish the two and will be more likely to meet halfway
when they feel they are RESPECTED equally included and aren't pressured or coerced.

C_Clayton_Jones if you don't believe in consensus or consent of the governed,
you are free to vote for less and give up your rights.

But I'm sure when the shoe is on the other foot, if the rulings go against your beliefs,
then you would protest, petition to redress grievances and voice objections also.

So to protect your representation equally as others,
that's why I would make consensus the option,
and if people AGREE to 2/3 or 3/4 or majority vote as the law, then fine.

But if HALF the NATION is saying their beliefs are violated by ACA mandates,
or people are still arguing the gay marriage laws are overreaching and imposing on religious beliefs,
then it is the DUTY of govt to provide for REDRESSING GRIEVANCES.

So you have every right to say you have no more grievances to redress and are satisfied.

But by the same token, someone else who is arguing their beliefs are being discriminated
against has the right to seek better solutions that are more Constitutionally inclusive than what is good enough for you.

C_Clayton_Jones because the system is not going to be perfect,
and people will have to give and take, that is why it IS SO IMPORTANT
not to accuse and shut people down, threaten to silence them, which makes them more defensive.

The more both sides feel attacked and "discriminated against"
why do you think the gay rights advocates pushed so hard to change laws?
And why the opponents of gay marriage went so far as to try to push DOMA laws and bans on gay marriage?

This very fear of not being able to defend equal rights
CAUSES the very backlash back and forth that perpetuates the fear in a vicious cycle.

All the more reason to push for respect for political beliefs
and to recognize the need for a consensus on how laws are written
that affect or involve people's creeds.

CCJones I find it no surprise you don't have faith in consensus.
The same people who reject spiritual healing, reject Christianity,
don't understand the full process and how it can resolve conflicts
and allow people to make peace without forcing anyone to change their views.

Of course you don't have faith or understanding of this process,
which is the same as why people reject the notion that
spiritual healing has changed unwanted homosexual attractions and relations for people
who were meant to change.

Because of the lack of understanding of the spiritual process,
there is a bias against consensus. It is a faith based process
and can neither be forced on people by law, nor denied for people
who believe in it.

You have the right to believe in letting the majority overrule
and decide policies that violate YOUR beliefs if you feel that is the best you can expect.

But you have no right to impose this belief on others who have
equal rights to seek consensus if that standard is more Constitutional
in protecting all people of all views and creeds equally, as I believe is legally necessary.

Sorry you don't believe this is possible
but I find it is the only thing that will satisfy the rule of law.
"Equal Justice Under Law" and "Equal Protection of the Law"

Because I go by consent, then this ALSO includes any other system under
that including your views. So you can have your way under the broader system of respecting consent of the governed.
But your way does not necessarily include my standards of consensus, so your way excludes and discriminates against
people of different standards and beliefs.

If govt is going to include all beliefs and views equally,
it should go by the default way that includes all others.

Then where consensus is not possible, as long as the people
AGREE to less than consensus, and the terms and places to
"give and take" that is still operating by consensus if it is not coerced
but freely chosen. So this still accommodates what you are saying
is not a perfect system.

Dear JakeStarkey
I am going to take a wild guess here and pick out the point I think you and I are most stuck on

Q. the issue of why you kept saying that I don't respect the Constitutional Republican Govt
and why you think the process of consensus somehow derails or overrides the given system.

A. Is it because there are so many people abusing religious freedom to try to disobey laws on equal protection
that you think this is what I am trying to do also? Also, is it fair to assume this of me, because of what other people do that is unfair; isn't that like since SOME people have pedophile issues, then it is unfair to assume ALL homosexual people have a sick disorder, and allowing for them "opens the door" for abuse by sick people who really do have issues. Aren't you applying this same blanket approach to me, and basically saying since SOME people might abuse religious freedom to discriminate out of hate or unlawful contempt or desire to deny others,
then ALL people must lose religious freedom and not have the option of refraining from things conflicting with beliefs.
====================
As for C_Clayton_Jones
who expressed that since consensus is not possible and people have to compromise
then this is somehow in conflict with what I am saying either.

The consensus process takes that into account, and works toward acknowledging and accommodating
differences and which points cannot be compromised, so people don't feel threatened and are
thus better able to work through the communications more effectively, and thus solutions are more likely.

C_Clayton_Jones I may go back and post this on the other thread,
but what you said, which sounds like overriding objections because consensus "isn't possible anyway,
sounds too much like the argument people use who don't think it is possible for homosexuality to be natural for anyone, and thus overriding any notion that this is possible much less a necessary "choice" for people.

Forum List

Back