Polio VS Corona

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?

If you grew up in the late '50s you already had a vaccine for polio. Its last wave was around 1952, when Joni Mitchell and Neil Young contracted it.

I grew up in the late 50's early sixties. Polio. It was scary and much worse. The economy wasn't shut down then, why this hysteria NOW?
No, it wasn’t.

The polio vaccine was successfully tested in 1953.

If you grew up during the late 50s, you grew up in an America absent the threat of polio.

That’s why.

If you grew up in the late '50s you already had a vaccine for polio. Its last wave was around 1952, when Joni Mitchell and Neil Young contracted it.
I knew kids in the mid sixties that had polio, well after the vaccine was introduced. But you overlooked the point...the world economy didn't melt down, people didn't shelter in place. What the hell is going on here?

I’m not sure what to make of this. Most of the “but what about that virus” or “what about car accidents” morons shot their load last week.

Either her talking points arrived in the mail late this week....or she came up with this asinine shit all by herself.

In 1952 there were 58,000 new cases of polio in the United States, with some 3,000 deaths.

In 2020, after just three months, there are 325,185 confirmed cases of C19 in the US, with 9,267 deaths.

That’s why your thread premise fails as a false comparison.

Taking appropriate actions to save lives isn’t ‘hysteria.’

I knew kids in the mid sixties that had polio, well after the vaccine was introduced. But you overlooked the point...the world economy didn't melt down, people didn't shelter in place. What the hell is going on here?
The fight against measles would be a better comparison. There were very strict quarantines with that one.

In 1952 there were 58,000 new cases of polio in the United States, with some 3,000 deaths.

In 2020, after just three months, there are 325,185 confirmed cases of C19 in the US, with 9,267 deaths.

That’s why your thread premise fails as a false comparison.

Taking appropriate actions to save lives isn’t ‘hysteria.’
factor in population doubled '52>'20 Clay

~S~

The fight against measles would be a better comparison. There were very strict quarantines with that one.
far more contagious iirc.....
~S~

What the hell is going on here?

A media that wants attention, a government that wants control, an empirical medical community that is going to eat serious crow, a police state having wet dreams, ....for starters....

~S~
This sort of sophistry from the tinfoil hat/sky is falling crowd is just as ridiculous as conservatives lying about the outbreak being ‘contained’ and the virus a ‘hoax.’

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.
I can think of one that might fit....>>
Orson-Welles-War-of-the-Worlds-newspaper-headlines-1938-750x500.jpg

~S~

far more contagious iirc.....
~S~
Measles is the most contageous disease known to man. They used to go to your house and nail the door shut for 10 days.

What the hell is going on here?

A media that wants attention, a government that wants control, an empirical medical community that is going to eat serious crow, a police state having wet dreams, ....for starters....

~S~
This sort of sophistry from the tinfoil hat/sky is falling crowd is just as ridiculous as conservatives lying about the outbreak being ‘contained’ and the virus a ‘hoax.’
ignoring the obvious effects of public panic is every bit as ridiculous Clay

~S~

Then you knew kids who didn’t get vaccinated for polio for some bizarre reason.

Your thread premise still fails as a ridiculous false comparison fallacy, having nothing to do with the C19 outbreak.

I am not a health care professional. But I have been around the block. Polio was way worse. It crippled and it went on for years and EVEN our president had it. Somehow, we survived. Lock downs are not necessary.

Forum List

Back