Police Bigotry and the Drug War

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
To suggest that all cops and all judges are racial bigots would obviously be ridiculous. But it would be equally ridiculous to suggest that there are no racial bigots within law enforcement or even the judiciary.

In fact, the DEA, the state police, and local law enforcement all serve as a magnet for racial bigots. There is a simple reason for that. The enforcement of drug laws attracts racial bigots. End the drug war and you get rid of that magnet.

We all know that there are racial bigots in American society. Some of them are very open about their bigotry. They make no bones about it. They don’t seem to care that people are aware of their bigotry.

Others though are more circumspect about their bigotry. They want to hide it from others. The reason? They are embarrassed about it. They care about what other people say. They know that in the times in which we live, they will quite likely be subjected to criticism, moral condemnation, social ostracism, or economic boycott. Being an openly self-proclaimed racial bigot is not a popular thing today in American society.

But if a bigot joins the DEA, the state police, or a local police department, everything changes. He knows that he still cannot openly express his bigotry but he also knows that now he can exercise his bigotry to his heart’s content and not be criticized, condemned, ostracized, or boycotted for it. On the contrary, he knows that now he will be honored, praised, awarded, and glorified for doing his part to “win the war on drugs” and “ridding” American society of drugs.https://www.fff.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/drug-war-blacks.jpg

CNN’s David Simon interview

Don’t just take my word for the importance of ending the drug war in the context of police brutality against blacks and others. Watch this 16-minute interview by CNN reporter Christiane Amanpour of David Simon, the creator of the “The Wire,” a television series about policing in America. I cannot recommend this interview too highly.

Notice how Simon continues to emphasize his point that if you want to end police brutality and corruption, you have to end the drug war. But notice something equally important, something that characterizes many members of the mainstream press: Amanpour does not seize the opportunity to follow up on Simon’s point. She doesn’t ask Simon to explain the relationship between the drug war and police brutality. She doesn’t delve into why ending the drug war is the solution to police brutality. Throughout the interview, I got the feeling that Amanpour wanted Simon to simply address police brutality in the context of the continued existence of the drug war.

To Simon’s credit, he refused to go down that road, no doubt to Amanpour’s chagrin. He was masterfully steadfast in maintaining the central point — if you want to end police brutality and corruption, you have to end the drug war.

If only all Americans were to come to this realization, we could not only bring an end this Jim Crow program but also help restore some liberty and privacy to people of all races, colors, and national origins.

I wonder if the OP knows the reason that marijuana was outlawed in the first place? It was made illegal by a campaign headed by an FBI man named Anslinger who hated black and brown people and was looking for a way to lock them up. Since they were the main consumers of cannabis, he decided to make the plant illegal so he could round them up.

Then, he went to DuPont and Hearst, who didn't want competition from hemp oil or hemp paper, and he talked them into bankrolling his propaganda film "Reefer Madness". Incidentally, none of the behaviors exhibited in the film are of people smoking marijuana, they are more indicative of people who do cocaine, heroin, and hallucinogenics, not cannabis.

Anslinger then showed the movie to Congress, and talked them into making cannabis illegal. The reason marijuana is illegal today is because of racism and greed.

I wonder if the OP knows the reason that marijuana was outlawed in the first place? It was made illegal by a campaign headed by an FBI man named Anslinger who hated black and brown people and was looking for a way to lock them up. Since they were the main consumers of cannabis, he decided to make the plant illegal so he could round them up.

Then, he went to DuPont and Hearst, who didn't want competition from hemp oil or hemp paper, and he talked them into bankrolling his propaganda film "Reefer Madness". Incidentally, none of the behaviors exhibited in the film are of people smoking marijuana, they are more indicative of people who do cocaine, heroin, and hallucinogenics, not cannabis.

Anslinger then showed the movie to Congress, and talked them into making cannabis illegal. The reason marijuana is illegal today is because of racism and greed.
Anslinger didn't pass any laws; Congress did and if you don't want bigots passing laws simply don't elect them.

Anslinger didn't pass any laws; Congress did and if you don't want bigots passing laws simply don't elect them.

Anslinger is the one that lobbied Congress with his propaganda film to get marijuana made illegal. Anslinger is the one who started the whole thing and lobbied hard to get Congress to do what he was asking.

Anslinger is the one that lobbied Congress with his propaganda film to get marijuana made illegal. Anslinger is the one who started the whole thing and lobbied hard to get Congress to do what he was asking.
True. But that doesn't make what I said any less true.

• Banned

If you're replying to me, yes I knew that and have posted it in several other places.

Forum List

Back