Point of no return.

blackhawk

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2012
Deep in the heart of Texas.
We are in mid May now and the NBA and NHL still locked down with no end seemingly in sight so when do you think both leagues have to come to terms with the fact they have reached a point of no return and it’s not realistic to try and continue the season?

We are in mid May now and the NBA and NHL still locked down with no end seemingly in sight so when do you think both leagues have to come to terms with the fact they have reached a point of no return and it’s not realistic to try and continue the season?

I think that they just need to realize the season is lost, and next year they might have a chance for an abbreviated season with no fans.

Concentrating on the 2021-2022 season is probably the best idea.

If there's any hope of making money in it, they'll go for a shortened season or a round robin playoff tournament. Basketball is discussing the same and baseball is looking to come back for just about a full season starting off with no fans.

If there's any hope of making money in it, they'll go for a shortened season or a round robin playoff tournament. Basketball is discussing the same and baseball is looking to come back for just about a full season starting off with no fans.
I can see baseball trying that as their season has been locked down less time than basketball or hockey if the NBA and NHL can’t get something going in June seems to me they should give it up. But as you say any chance to make up some of that lost money they will jump at it.

Who cares?....who cares about a season with a giant asterisk attached to the victor.....just stay closed and come back next year....you idiots should have never stopped the season...now you are stuck with it.....

I haven't missed either one. I thought they had just decided to write off the rest of the season. I'm surprised to hear that they have not. I know they are professionals and will do whatever they are paid to do but I really wonder if the players "feel like playing". After 9/11, the NFL originally planned on playing week 2 games on the weekend of 9/16. The players were insistent that they not play the games. Mike Lupica (whom I really do not like) had a great line; "Every week, the NFL asks us, 'Are you ready for some football?', the answer is no." Eventually, the week 2 NFL games were played the week after the scheduled regular season ended.

Anyway, the powers that be in the NHL/NBA should realize that the player's minds are elsewhere. Not to mention that it is probably not the safest thing in the world to be bumping and grinding with others right now

The NBA and NHL are both leagues that make a major part of their annual revenues through playoffs. Lots of packed stadiums, higher ticket prices, more sports paraphernalia, more air-time, and so on.

Accordingly, they are both pondering whether holding playoffs - assuming standings as they were frozen when the restrictions came it - with only video access would be economically feasible. Could they get away with pay-per-view? Would sponsors pony up for adequate fees? Would the players expect (demand) to get paid for a full season? Could the players be made "safe"? Would those who care accept these championships as legitimate?

None of this is easy. The Owners are rich bastards, but not infinitely rich, and not economically stupid.

On the other hand, would the Owners seek to use this as a means of forcing Revenue Sharing and in effect salary caps?

The NBA and NHL are both leagues that make a major part of their annual revenues through playoffs. Lots of packed stadiums, higher ticket prices, more sports paraphernalia, more air-time, and so on.

Accordingly, they are both pondering whether holding playoffs - assuming standings as they were frozen when the restrictions came it - with only video access would be economically feasible. Could they get away with pay-per-view? Would sponsors pony up for adequate fees? Would the players expect (demand) to get paid for a full season? Could the players be made "safe"? Would those who care accept these championships as legitimate?

None of this is easy. The Owners are rich bastards, but not infinitely rich, and not economically stupid.

On the other hand, would the Owners seek to use this as a means of forcing Revenue Sharing and in effect salary caps?

Players have already been mostly paid...the NBA and NHL seasons were more than 90% finished.

Any one of us would play a sport that pays well. But we do not. It is time for the costs of being a fan to come down on all fronts. The stadiums have gotten way out of bounds in costs and sensibilities. Commercialized and like a light show with the sound turned up to rock concert madness to watch a sport being played. Its time to see some bankruptcies with teams and stadiums. People may be finding new things to do. And again. How long can the Cable TV industry keep stealing money with no sports programming that we are receiving.

Forum List

Back