Planets that are possibly Habitable, BUT are within our neighborhood.

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Planets that are possibly Habitable, BUT are within our neighborhood. ;) Within 25 light years!

Tau Ceti 11.9 light years

Tau Ceti e - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Tau Ceti f - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Kapteyn at 12.8 light years

Kapteyn b - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Kapteyn b is within the estimated habitable zone of its star.[2] It is the closest suspected habitable exoplanet to our solar system other than Tau Ceti e

Gliese 682 c at 16 light years!

Gliese 682 c - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Gliese 667Cc 22.7 light years
Gliese 667 Cc - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I wonder why we have not sent explorers there years ago. Who shut down space exploration? Bush? Or Clinton? Or Obama? I forget.

How much you wanna bet space exploration has NOT been stopped, but has continued on secretly for the uppity ups to have a planet to run to when this one becomes uninhabitable?

Planets that are possibly Habitable, BUT are within our neighborhood. ;) Within 25 light years!

Kapteyn b is within the estimated habitable zone of its star.[2] It is the closest suspected habitable exoplanet to our solar system other than Tau Ceti e

You forgot about planet B52-P-C

I wonder why we have not sent explorers there years ago. Who shut down space exploration? Bush? Or Clinton? Or Obama? I forget.
Well, when the Obama administration announced that NASA's new goal was "muslim outreach", it pretty much told us he is not too interested in exploring new worlds.

How much you wanna bet space exploration has NOT been stopped, but has continued on secretly for the uppity ups to have a planet to run to when this one becomes uninhabitable?
Well, Romney has his own planet awaiting.

• Banned
The problem isn't the want, the problem is the how. With current state of the rocketry, it'd take us 100,000 years just to travel to the star nearest our own, Proxima Centauri, 4.2 light years away.

How about anti-matter? They could get us up to 10 to 15% the speed of light.

We'd have to build and start it up a few million miles from the earth...

Matter-antimatter reactions are 1,000 times more powerful than the nuclear fission produced in nuclear power plants and 300 times more powerful than nuclear fusion energy. So, matter-antimatter engines have the potential to take us farther with less fuel. The problem is creating and storing the antimatter. There are three main components to a matter-antimatter engine:
Matter-Antimatter Engine - How Antimatter Spacecraft Will Work

Last edited:
I think we would be better off looking for resources on nearby planets in our own solar system to make this one a better place to live.

The problem isn't the want, the problem is the how. With current state of the rocketry, it'd take us 100,000 years just to travel to the star nearest our own, Proxima Centauri, 4.2 light years away.

Maybe thats where Nancy Pelosi came from

Hmmmm because we are still figuring out how to get to Mars?

Let alone how to send a space ship 25 light years away?

The obstacles are huge- smallest among them being that the persons sent would be travelling for something like 50-100 years just to get there.

The obstacles are huge- smallest among them being that the persons sent would be travelling for something like 50-100 years just to get there.

Yep, and the current form of space travel still takes a big tolll on the human body

Yep, and the current form of space travel still takes a big tolll on the human body

80% of an astronaut's time is spent in one form or another of physiological maintainence. We're going to have to build much more human-friendly spacecraft if we're going to explore and exploit the solar system. Artificial gravity is a must-have to avoid all the problems of muscle atrophy that now hamper humans in space. And there are many other problems besides, like radiation and psychological stresses. Add the high likelihood of mechanical/electrical/computer breakdowns. If a mission gets into irreversible trouble way out there, there is no saving them from earth. They're doomed. We're humans though. We're driven to explore the unknown regardless of the danger involved.

Check out this thoroughly fascinating BBC docudrama about mankind's first attempt at visiting our solar system's planets, moons other than our own, and even a comet. It's all based on current science and problems we know we're going to encounter. It's scary...but that's not going to stop such grand missions of exploration from going on, is it?

Voyage to the Planets (2 hours)

Part 1:
Part 2:

Forum List

Back