Pickup Trucks in Polite Society

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I was a Yoot in the 50's and 60's, NOBODY in my urban environment had a pickup truck as a "family" vehicle. Dads who had small businesses that required a truck had one, but that was it. When a kid had to drive the truck he was NOT happy about it. Pickup trucks typically were vehicles with a small cabin having one vinyl bench seat, an in-line six, and three on the tree. The box was 8 feet long. They were very quick to rust, got lousy gas mileage, were terrible in snow, and of course the handled like trucks.

Later there came a time when some married men decided that they wanted a truck, for no particular reason. Wives hated them. They often didn't fit in the garage, but the drawbacks were not addressed. An acquaintance of mine bought one in the '71-72 timeframe and we talked about what he DID with it. Basically, nothing. He confided that when they took the truck for groceries, the groceries were packed in the truck and he had to sit in the bed (his wife drove). Nice. LIke it or not, when you got a truck you instantly got a number of new "friends"...guys who were moving, buying furniture, or moving "stuff" around and wanted to borrow your truck, or - worse - wanted you AND your truck to assist with the project.

In the late 60's and early 70's, when fast cars were in vogue, a truck was the opposite of what most people wanted. No matter how much HP you put in your truck it was still slow, compared to the ponycars and muscle cars that people were driving at the time. And of course the mileage was even worse than a muscle car.

Fast forward 40 years.

Trucks have lost most of their utility. Most of them have four doors and a puny-ass 5' bed, which is nearly worthless for lumber, drywall, or plywood. You can't even get a load of mulch with them, because the front-end loaders at the nursery have 6' buckets. Not that anyone today would want to get the bed dirty. How vulgar.

Most manufacturers have produced mega-expensive trucks that have gi-normous engines, intended to make these monsters go fast." Why you would buy a truck when you want to go fast is beyond me, especially considering how horribly trucks handle. And they all have expensive hyper-luxurious models (e.g., "Denali"), and again, why would you buy a TRUCK if your desire is to drive a comfortable vehicle? Cars are more comfortable, period.

They still get miserable fuel economy (except for the Diesels, which are priced to overcome any possible fuel cost savings). The handling is still dreadful. In standard form, they are still slow, compared to most standard, 4-cylinder cars.

Interestingly, the biggest single reason for the popularity of pickups today is the technology that has allowed oil companies to find and extract so much crude oil that gas prices appear to be stabilized at an acceptable level for the foreseeable future. Without that, nobody would want a vehicle that gets an honest 13mpg in normal driving.

To the extent that they are used as "family" vehicles, trucks and large SUV's are a pox on the landscape as far as I'm concerned. They make driving more dangerous for everyone who is not driving one.

Maybe if Biden is elected he will figure out a way to get rid of them (for everyone but The Rich).

You Moon Bats will have to pry my Tundra from my cold dead hands.

I like driving a truck as my personal vehicle. If you don't like then you can kiss my Cracker ass. You can move to the UK. They don't drive around in pickup trucks much there. You will like it.

When I was a Yoot in the 50's and 60's, NOBODY in my urban environment had a pickup truck as a "family" vehicle. Dads who had small businesses that required a truck had one, but that was it. When a kid had to drive the truck he was NOT happy about it. Pickup trucks typically were vehicles with a small cabin having one vinyl bench seat, an in-line six, and three on the tree. The box was 8 feet long. They were very quick to rust, got lousy gas mileage, were terrible in snow, and of course the handled like trucks.

Later there came a time when some married men decided that they wanted a truck, for no particular reason. Wives hated them. They often didn't fit in the garage, but the drawbacks were not addressed. An acquaintance of mine bought one in the '71-72 timeframe and we talked about what he DID with it. Basically, nothing. He confided that when they took the truck for groceries, the groceries were packed in the truck and he had to sit in the bed (his wife drove). Nice. LIke it or not, when you got a truck you instantly got a number of new "friends"...guys who were moving, buying furniture, or moving "stuff" around and wanted to borrow your truck, or - worse - wanted you AND your truck to assist with the project.

In the late 60's and early 70's, when fast cars were in vogue, a truck was the opposite of what most people wanted. No matter how much HP you put in your truck it was still slow, compared to the ponycars and muscle cars that people were driving at the time. And of course the mileage was even worse than a muscle car.

Fast forward 40 years.

Trucks have lost most of their utility. Most of them have four doors and a puny-ass 5' bed, which is nearly worthless for lumber, drywall, or plywood. You can't even get a load of mulch with them, because the front-end loaders at the nursery have 6' buckets. Not that anyone today would want to get the bed dirty. How vulgar.

Most manufacturers have produced mega-expensive trucks that have gi-normous engines, intended to make these monsters go fast." Why you would buy a truck when you want to go fast is beyond me, especially considering how horribly trucks handle. And they all have expensive hyper-luxurious models (e.g., "Denali"), and again, why would you buy a TRUCK if your desire is to drive a comfortable vehicle? Cars are more comfortable, period.

They still get miserable fuel economy (except for the Diesels, which are priced to overcome any possible fuel cost savings). The handling is still dreadful. In standard form, they are still slow, compared to most standard, 4-cylinder cars.

Interestingly, the biggest single reason for the popularity of pickups today is the technology that has allowed oil companies to find and extract so much crude oil that gas prices appear to be stabilized at an acceptable level for the foreseeable future. Without that, nobody would want a vehicle that gets an honest 13mpg in normal driving.

To the extent that they are used as "family" vehicles, trucks and large SUV's are a pox on the landscape as far as I'm concerned. They make driving more dangerous for everyone who is not driving one.

Maybe if Biden is elected he will figure out a way to get rid of them (for everyone but The Rich).
It's actually yutes....not yoots

1601567567290.gif

I worked on an Engineering project at a nuclear facility where we partnered with teams from the UK and from France.

Each team had about a dozen Engineers move to the US for the five year project. Educated guys in the 30s and 40s mostly. They moved here with their families.

Almost all of them bought pickup trucks. They loved the trucks. They thought it represented American Liberty.

By the way, the kids became Americanized real fast. The wives were always bitching about something or another. The guys loved the US.

The single biggest factor in trucks becoming family vehicles was the manufacturers deciding to add the crew cab as an option.

I drove various trucks for 20+ years while in the utility construction industry. I currently drive an older Chevy Suburban.

While I am sure some people want the big engine so they can go fast, most of us want it so we can handle heavy loads and tow larger trailers. Our current camper isn't that big, so the Suburban does quite well, and gives us plenty of storage for the trips. But when I retire I will be switching to a Ram pickup.

As for why people will drive truck when you don't have to, who knows when you need one? If I buy a piece of furniture or something large, I don't have to bother my friends who drive trucks and I don't have to rent one. Not to mention trips to Home Depot for lumbers, gardening supplies ect.

There are also safety factors in driving a truck. They are typically heavier duty vehicles, which means they will survive impact better. I like sitting up higher where I can see in front of the car in front of me, and thereby see a problem sooner. Trucks typically have better outside mirrors, which makes it easier to see what is going on in the other lanes.

Fast forward 40 years.

I wish we got thirteen miles per gallon in our truck. That being said, we've ordered a Tesla Cyber Truck. Will we get to drive it before the end of the world? I guess we'll find out. As for the danger posed by large, loud and very bright at night pickup trucks? Smell the freedom . . . the freedom of America. Doesn't it smell damn good?

I've ridden and driven some pretty fuckin' comfortable trucks. They're nice, but they're not gonna' take out my ride any time soon. It's a 2016. May be time to upgrade to the new mid-engine 2020:

vette01.jpg

And, honestly, there are worse things than pickup trucks and the people who own them.

You know, like the people who whine about pickup trucks and the people who own them...

Last edited:
Why would a person drive a truck if he didn't have to?

I can agree with that.
I generally dont haul a bunch of lumber these days but I do have 400lbs of pavers in it at the moment for a pad for my camper.
Which brings up my next point,towing. Trucks are pretty much your only option when it comes to towing,add towing on rough roads and trails and a truck is the only option.
And of course outdoorsman need a truck to haul all the gear required to go hunting,fishing and camping.

The only people who dont like trucks or need them are city boys who have no interest in activities outside of the city.

Fast forward 40 years.

I wish we got thirteen miles per gallon in our truck. That being said, we've ordered a Tesla Cyber Truck. Will we get to drive it before the end of the world? I guess we'll find out. As for the danger posed by large, loud and very bright at night pickup trucks? Smell the freedom . . . the freedom of America. Doesn't it smell damn good?

The only danger posed by me driving my truck is idiots changing lanes without leaving any space for me to stop if we needed to.

Other than that, I am more visible than a small car. And if you pull out in front of me on a highway (where I am going the speed limit of 50+), your death will be quick, instead of a slow lingering one.

Why would a person drive a truck if he didn't have to?

One reason is what's often referred to as "command seating". Because it's a truck, you naturally sit higher than if you were in a car. You have better visibility.

This is my brother's Tundra. It's a damn fine ride and extremely comfortable:

View attachment 395483

That is a nice Tundra!!
I love mine and wouldnt drive anything else.
E932E61C-CD06-4679-AECE-691388F6DE78.jpeg

I don't know why they call them pickup trucks. Did you ever try to pick one up? They're heavy as hell! I had to use two hands.

I will keep my Hemi Grand Cherokee and use it to tow my gas guzzling snowmobiles and boat.

Later may get a Tundra when we get that towable camper.

A man needs power to tow his toys.

In the early 1980's I worked for a company that had a large factory in North Texas with 2,500 employees.
In the lobby of the main office was a scale model of the factory, complete with a huge parking lot full of little hot wheel sized toy vehicles.
One day someone pointed out the scale model must have been designed and built by northern Yankees, because there wasn't even one pickup truck among all the scale model cars.
In reality, being Texas, if you looked outside, the factory's parking lot was filled with about 85% pickup trucks the employees drove to work. ... :cool:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back