Pickled onions

Need some help guys.
We are doing a "12 days of Christmas" at work. People double up and bring meals every day.
Me and a buddy teamed up. I am making smoked ham sliders with a pineapple aioli and pickled onions. He is pairing it with potato soup.
I have tried pickling onions before(panera bread turned me on to it) and it didnt turn out too well. They stayed too crispy and were too oniony. That was even after resting in the fridge for a couple days..
I am thinking maybe i need to cook the onions a bit? I did last time but only for a couple minutes in a skillet. Maybe cook them until they are almost soft?
IDK

I've pickled red onions in a mixture of sugar, salt, warm water, and apple cider vinegar. Mix it up and lest the onions rest in it for an hour before you pickle them. They've normally come out very tasty. And last for a few weeks in the fridge.
Just make sure to slice the onions really thin. Invest in a good mandoline slicer. Not a cheap one.
By "before you pickle them" i assume you mean adding pickling spice?

Sorry. I meant before you put them in a jar to store them. Incorrect use of terminology.
I slice the onions up and leave them to sit in the mixture for an hour in a large ceramic bowl before I put them in a jar.
I asked because last time i used pickling spice and i dont think i am going to this time.
Thanks.

Again, I keep it simple. Apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, and warm water. You'll have to experiment with combinations to achieve the taste you are looking for (or that appeals to you).
I would stay away from any specialty spices.

Amazon sells 'em. 2 day shipping.

But like anything store-bought, yours are probably better. I've never had a boughten pickled close to as good as homemade.

Need some help guys.
We are doing a "12 days of Christmas" at work. People double up and bring meals every day.
Me and a buddy teamed up. I am making smoked ham sliders with a pineapple aioli and pickled onions. He is pairing it with potato soup.
I have tried pickling onions before(panera bread turned me on to it) and it didnt turn out too well. They stayed too crispy and were too oniony. That was even after resting in the fridge for a couple days..
I am thinking maybe i need to cook the onions a bit? I did last time but only for a couple minutes in a skillet. Maybe cook them until they are almost soft?
IDK
I've never made pickles, but the first hit I got on pickled onions says if you want them soft, slice them really thin. Like 1/8 inch. Make sure your pickling brine is really hot, too, I'd imagine. Boiling.

I usually slow cook anything I pickle inside the jars by placing them in a pan of simmering water on the stove. I cook everything for at least 20-30 mins to kill off any jerms or bacteria and I put the cap on loosely while this is cooking. Then when I take them out of the hot water I screw down the caps tight so that it creates a vacuum. My mom used a pressure cooker....but I just use a big enough pan to cover 2/3rds of the jar. I pickle eggs alot....and they turn out pretty good in about 2-3 weeks. I've never pickled onions. I usually buy those.
Where do you buy pickled onions?!!
At Walmart or Publix.....I put them in my Gin&Tonic.

Use white!
White onions are typically harder than sweet onions like the vidalia and i definitely want to avoid that
Vidalia is a white onion. But okay.
vidalia is considered a sweet yellow onion. But okay.
Really? We don't get them up here much. I never realized until about ten years ago that there is actually a difference. I always just used those yellow onions in the red mesh sack. But I was making something gourmet-ish and the recipe called for a white onion. And lo and behold, there they were at the store, big as a baseball. And it really was milder. I don't know about crispier--that wasn't on my radar.

Like Unko mentioned a water soak is good. Also good after you peel an onion, wet it good and tears don't flow as bad when cutting. Yes, as others mentioned slice thin.

Simple vinegar, sugar, most any onion works for me. I use different vinegars, try rice vinegar for something different. I'm just not that fussy, any pickled onion is good. These are "fridge onions" now, no canning necessary. Make and eat.

Speaking of pickled onions, how bout pickled rice? Another thread? Used in sushi and sashimi is what I do.

Forum List

Back