Pho

Unfortunately the only Pho I've had was way too heavily star anise flavored. Don't know if that is normal...but it kind of turned me off to it. I'm not opposed to a beef, cinnamon, star anise combo...Cincinnati chili might be one of the world's most perfect foods...but in the Pho I had it was overpowering. Is that normal?

Not in the Pho I've had from restaurants.
It's always been a slight flavor,kind of an undertone.
I'm not a huge fan of it either unless it's used sparingly.
The guys vid has him using two of them,having never really cooked with them I'm going to go light at first.
I figure I'll have plenty of time for adjustments with it simmering for 18 hours.

Unfortunately the only Pho I've had was way too heavily star anise flavored. Don't know if that is normal...but it kind of turned me off to it. I'm not opposed to a beef, cinnamon, star anise combo...Cincinnati chili might be one of the world's most perfect foods...but in the Pho I had it was overpowering. Is that normal?

The guys vid has him using two of them,having never really cooked with them I'm going to go light at first.
I figure I'll have plenty of time for adjustments with it simmering for 18 hours.
Can't wait to see/hear how it turns out.

Just ordered 16 lbs of beef knuckles and meaty bones for Pho broth.
It'll simmer for 18 hours on a single burner induction stove top.
Had to order the damn bones online since all the butcher counters are closed but we figured it would be a great time to do it since we're sitting around the house doing nothing. The Wife has already organized the pantry twice and is getting stir crazy.
We bought enough bones to make two double batches figuring we can freeze some since the rest of the recipe is simple.
Anyone who's ever done this chime in on any pitfalls we may encounter or advice on the recipe.
We're going to loosely follow this guys recipe.

Yum Yummy GIF - Yum Yummy PatrickStar - Discover & Share GIFs ...

We use the shit out of star anise in catfish bait.
You mix it with oatmeal,flour, sugar,vanilla extract and add water to make balls out of it.
When things are hot and heavy we make pre made baits using a treble hook. You ball the bait around the hook and wrap it with a piece of panty hose and tie it off.
You can catch a bunch of fish on one bait that way.

And here we go....
089BE979-FE2E-4378-AA1C-A98D367E9101.jpeg

ECB47782-FDCD-46F7-9F91-A280981E9215.jpeg

D9589B42-5692-40D5-BC38-EE5D6F7E5B98.jpeg

Going to spot taste once we get to around 10 hours,and see where we're at.
It smells fantastic at this point. We cut the star anise in half figuring we can add some in the last 8 hours if need be.
And on the plus side. The Wife actually found some fresh Thai basil!!!

And here we go....
View attachment 333725
View attachment 333726
View attachment 333728
Going to spot taste once we get to around 10 hours,and see where we're at.
It smells fantastic at this point. We cut the star anise in half figuring we can add some in the last 8 hours if need be.
And on the plus side. The Wife actually found some fresh Thai basil!!!
Ever try a pressure cooker?

Yep..
I have a couple of them.
This is all about tradition,I scoured the internet to find the most original recipes and this one seems to be the most accurate.

Well it's all strained now. Ran it through a colander with a piece of cheese cloth in the bottom and put it back on the heat and added the fish sauce and a one inch chunk of Chinese/Vietnamese gold rock sugar.
Going to let that go for an hour or so then put it in the fridge to harden up the fat.
Man those Oxtails are some greasy sumbitches!!!
We ended up with 14 cups of broth.

Last edited:
And here's the finished product.
4D04E9E4-95EA-41F6-800A-03E637A2796E.jpeg

Ended up going with the top round since it was traditional.
We were supposed to make it Sunday but my hip and back were killing me and the round got a little brown on the edge sitting in the fridge but no big deal.

5F88B907-9294-4AF3-A9FF-E3CA9032257C.jpeg

Got all the fixens cut up and ready....

The broth came out nice and clear but a little darker than my local Pho place but I expected that since I was going for a bit beefier taste.
It came out excellent!!!!
D75930B0-2293-4A47-95CD-147FC17E8D5F.jpeg

And here we have the finished product....
Ate the whole bowl and felt like something was missing the entire time. The broth was great....and anything after that is standard stuff so I was a bit perplexed.
About the time I finished the Wife informed me that we'd forgot to squeeze the limes over it....Son Of A Bitch!!!

7B98AA35-5D9A-4A6E-83B3-5DBAED61B4E0.jpeg

All and all a great success and will definitely make it again.
Only next time I'm going to quadruple the recipe.

And here's the finished product.
View attachment 334983
Ended up going with the top round since it was traditional.
We were supposed to make it Sunday but my hip and back were killing me and the round got a little brown on the edge sitting in the fridge but no big deal.

View attachment 334985
Got all the fixens cut up and ready....

The broth came out nice and clear but a little darker than my local Pho place but I expected that since I was going for a bit beefier taste.
It came out excellent!!!!
View attachment 334987

And here we have the finished product....
Ate the whole bowl and felt like something was missing the entire time. The broth was great....and anything after that is standard stuff so I was a bit perplexed.
About the time I finished the Wife informed me that we'd forgot to squeeze the limes over it....Son Of A Bitch!!!

View attachment 334988
All and all a great success and will definitely make it again.
Only next time I'm going to quadruple the recipe.
YUMMY.jpg

Forum List

Back