Philosophy of Time.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
All animals except humans live in a continual present, with no sense of the temporal distinctions of past, present and future. Our consciousness of time is therefore one of the most important distinguishing features of humankind, and one of the things that truly separates us from the lower animals. It comes as no surprise, then, that from time immemorial, philosophers, teachers and theologians have speculated on the true nature of time. Does time have a substance and, if so, what is it made of? How do we know that time really exists? Does time have a beginning and an end? Is it a straight line or a circle?

Philosophy of Time – Exactly What Is Time?

We know that time has some funny properties like time dilation where clocks in motion will read differently if there is a velocity difference between the two clocks. That is physical and can be measured.

Time perception is different. That is relative to each person, how old they are, what they are doing, and what they are planning to do. If you are a child, time seems to move more slowly than if you are older. That may be due to time units being a larger fraction of your life span when you are young. Or it may be due to the plasticity of a young mind vs a older mind.

There is the phenomenon of "time flying when you are having fun". And time dragging when you are in a bad or boring situation. That seems as real as time dilation.

There is time management, which is our attempt to get more tasks completed within some future time period.

As for time being linear vs a circle IMO it has to be linear. It makes for cool movies to be able to travel forward or backward in time but the paradoxes time travel creates don't make sense.

• Banned
I've often wondered about

Ageing

ageing2-300x225.jpg

Ageing and old age are aspects of time we are all familiar with.
Ageing (spelled aging in American English) is a constant reminder of the passage of time. The process, and even the purpose, of ageing is a question that has intrigued and puzzled scientists for centuries, although modern science is finally beginning to throw some light on the subject.

^ From that site.

All animals except humans live in a continual present, with no sense of the temporal distinctions of past, present and future. Our consciousness of time is therefore one of the most important distinguishing features of humankind, and one of the things that truly separates us from the lower animals. It comes as no surprise, then, that from time immemorial, philosophers, teachers and theologians have speculated on the true nature of time. Does time have a substance and, if so, what is it made of? How do we know that time really exists? Does time have a beginning and an end? Is it a straight line or a circle?

Consciousness of our PERCEPTION of time, is more like it.

“Nature of time”?
One thing FOLLOWS another, NOT in reverse.

• Banned

Consciousness of our PERCEPTION of time, is more like it.

“Nature of time”?
One thing FOLLOWS another, NOT in reverse.

That's what I thought.

Our consciousness of time is therefore one of the most important distinguishing features of humankind, and one of the things that truly separates us from the lower animals.
I am curious how you know this for certain.

I don't.

I don't know anything.
You asserted it.

Oh. Did I?
I quoted you.

Is this about me now?

I am curious how you know this for certain.

I don't.

I don't know anything.
You asserted it.

Oh. Did I?
I quoted you.

Is this about me now?
No, the question I asked, and which you are dodging, is not about you. I am asking how you can be certain, or how anyone can be certain, of what you asserted. It was a simple English sentence. If you are too squeamish to tackle it, perhaps reconsider making such assertions.

No, the question I asked, and which you are dodging, is not about you. I am asking how you can be certain, or how anyone can be certain, of what you asserted. It was a simple English sentence. If you are too squeamish to tackle it, perhaps reconsider making such assertions.

I don't like your style, so consider this conversation dead.

It was already dead, when you were dodging my question.

One has to consider TIME along with SPACE. If there is a consequence to a behavior (time in forward direction), space must be a factor.
In the Philosophy of Physics, “quantum entanglement” (used in quantum computing) is a real phenomenon. but not explainable yet, to my knowledge.

Forum List

Back