Pew Forum Religious Landscape Survey: US Christians More Accepting of Homosexuality

Oscar Wao

Victory is Mine
Dec 15, 2008
Munster, IN
I'm sure many of you remember the infamous Pew Survey from last year which showed the infamous "American Christian Decline." Well, in that same survey, it also polled attitudes among numerous regional, religious, ethnic, etc. demographics regarding the major issues of the day.

One of those topics was "Do you believe homosexuality should be accepted by society?" Before we go into the denominational list, it should be noted that 54% of American Christians (regardless of denominational identity) polled saidi that homosexuality should be accepted by society. So, without further ado, here's the list of denominations who believe that it SHOULD be accepted by their percentage numbers:
  • Catholic Church: 70%
  • Eastern Orthodox Church: 62%
  • LDS: 36%
  • Southern Baptist: 30%
  • United Methodist (UMC): 60%
  • Presbyterian Church USA: 65%
  • African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME): 61%
  • American Baptists: 54%
  • Anglican Church (I assume that's ACNA): 67%
  • Assembly of God: 26%
  • Episcopal Church: 83%
  • Church of God in Christ (black Pentecostal-ish denomination): 38%
  • Church of God (Tennessee): 22%
  • Church of the Nazarene: 40%
  • Church of Christ: 35%
  • Presbyterian Church in America (PCA): 49%
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA): 73%
  • National Baptist Convention (black Baptists): 54%
  • Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS): 56%
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist: 39%
  • Seventh-Day Adventist: 27%
  • Nondenominational: 34%
  • United Church of Christ (UCC): 82%
Religious Landscape Study

Which numbers surprised you the most? For me, I was shocked at the LCMS, PCA, and IFB numbers!! Who'd have ever thought the IFB would be more liberal than the SBC on gay issues?

And if "Anglican Church" is referring to ACNA, then why did they split with TEC if there's have supermajority approval in that church?!

But seriously...discuss THESE numbers! WOW!

Honestly I am not so surprised. Christians have always been clumped together as one, and they are not. The survey I assume was taken by individuals, not as a clumped group.

Ive always known the bulk of catholics don't hate homos. But the church seems to be officially against them.

Being a sinner doesn't disqualify you from being a Christian. Every Christian knows that.

I'm sure many of you remember the infamous Pew Survey from last year which showed the infamous "American Christian Decline." Well, in that same survey, it also polled attitudes among numerous regional, religious, ethnic, etc. demographics regarding the major issues of the day.

One of those topics was "Do you believe homosexuality should be accepted by society?" Before we go into the denominational list, it should be noted that 54% of American Christians (regardless of denominational identity) polled saidi that homosexuality should be accepted by society. So, without further ado, here's the list of denominations who believe that it SHOULD be accepted by their percentage numbers:
  • Catholic Church: 70%
  • Eastern Orthodox Church: 62%
  • LDS: 36%
  • Southern Baptist: 30%
  • United Methodist (UMC): 60%
  • Presbyterian Church USA: 65%
  • African Methodist Episcopal Church (AME): 61%
  • American Baptists: 54%
  • Anglican Church (I assume that's ACNA): 67%
  • Assembly of God: 26%
  • Episcopal Church: 83%
  • Church of God in Christ (black Pentecostal-ish denomination): 38%
  • Church of God (Tennessee): 22%
  • Church of the Nazarene: 40%
  • Church of Christ: 35%
  • Presbyterian Church in America (PCA): 49%
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA): 73%
  • National Baptist Convention (black Baptists): 54%
  • Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS): 56%
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist: 39%
  • Seventh-Day Adventist: 27%
  • Nondenominational: 34%
  • United Church of Christ (UCC): 82%
Religious Landscape Study

Which numbers surprised you the most? For me, I was shocked at the LCMS, PCA, and IFB numbers!! Who'd have ever thought the IFB would be more liberal than the SBC on gay issues?

And if "Anglican Church" is referring to ACNA, then why did they split with TEC if there's have supermajority approval in that church?!

But seriously...discuss THESE numbers! WOW!
Have you read the book about Oscar Wao?

Ive always known the bulk of catholics don't hate homos. But the church seems to be officially against them.

Yes. The Church is officially against divorce, stealing, lying, gluttony, etc. This has never stopped the Church from gathering everyone in and working with them where they are in their life's journey.

Forum List

Back