Heated disagreement breaks out in Situation Room over hydroxychloroquine, Navarro vs Fauci

A memo from Peter Navarro said failure to contain a coronavirus outbreak could lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and trillions of dollars in economic losses. It is the most direct warning known to have circulated at a key moment among top administration officials.
I wonder if Navarro himself leaked the memo. It makes him look pretty damn good while it makes Trump look asleep at the wheel, doing nothing to guard the country against this deadly virus despite warnings.
Libs wanted a lockdown of the US economy before the first American died from the commie virus?

you must be living in lib la la land

JOE KERNEN: Good morning, Mr. President.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Morning.

JOE KERNEN: It’s great to see you. Thank you for joining us, again, in Davos. We’ve done this before.

PRESIDENT TRUMP: That’s right.

JOE KERNEN: It was a couple of years ago. Before we get started-- with- we’re going talk about the economy and a lot of other things--the CDC-- has identified a case of coronavirus-- in Washington state. The Wuhan strain of this. If you remember SARS, that affected GDP. Travel-related effects. Do you-- have you been briefed by the CDC? And--

PRESIDENT TRUMP: I have, and--

JOE KERNEN: --are there worries about a pandemic at this point?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: No. Not at all. And-- we’re-- we have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s—going to be just fine.

The revelation of Navarro's memo is just the latest documented proof Trump was warned repeatedly about the effect the virus could have................but did virtually nothing until it was too late.

Yup exactly, just like Obama was asleep at the wheel with ISIS.
The lies about Obama and ISIS will stay in Trumpette's heads forever. Along with hundreds of others. Here is what Obama said about ISIS..........“‘I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.’

It accurately characterized ISIS' status at the time.

Yup exactly, just like Obama was asleep at the wheel with ISIS.
The lies about Obama and ISIS will stay in Trumpette's heads forever. Along with hundreds of others. Here is what Obama said about ISIS..........“‘I think there is a distinction between the capacity and reach of a bin Laden and a network that is actively planning major terrorist plots against the homeland versus jihadists who are engaged in various local power struggles and disputes, often sectarian.’

It accurately characterized ISIS' status at the time.

When did the douche bag say it, in 2015?

Give us a link needle dick

A memo from Peter Navarro said failure to contain a coronavirus outbreak could lead to hundreds of thousands of deaths and trillions of dollars in economic losses. It is the most direct warning known to have circulated at a key moment among top administration officials.
I wonder if Navarro himself leaked the memo. It makes him look pretty damn good while it makes Trump look asleep at the wheel, doing nothing to guard the country against this deadly virus despite warnings.
/——/ In January, Pres Trump moved quickly to ban travel from China over the howls and screams from libtards like you and Joe Biden. Orange man bad no matter what he does.

It says the memo was dated January 29th the travel ban on China came on the 31st of January two days later.
This "travel ban?"

Don't try and deflect from the topic of your OP which is the memo it states the memo warned Trump in January implying that there was a great deal of time between the travel ban and the time of the memo which was not the case. Perhaps you should try reading beyond the article headline from now on.

Not Trump's fault. Talk radio was telling him to downplay it at the time. You can't fault a guy for just following orders.

Don't try and deflect from the topic of your OP which is the memo it states the memo warned Trump in January implying that there was a great deal of time between the travel ban and the time of the memo which was not the case. Perhaps you should try reading beyond the article headline from now on.
Are you actually trying to pretend the ineffectual travel ban put in place compensates for the completely inept response by the admin despite repeated warnings of how severe the outbreak could be in the US.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Jan. 21 announced the first travel-related case of novel coronavirus in the United States. Trump unveiled his plan 10 days later, making the restrictions effective Feb. 2. (On Jan. 17, the CDC had begun health screenings of passengers on direct or connecting flights from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak.)
Trump barred non-U.S. citizens from traveling from China, but there were 11 exceptions, and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan were not included. U.S. citizens and permanent residents could still travel from China but were subject to screening and possible 14-day quarantine. Some flights were immediately suspended, but others continued for weeks, at the discretion of the airlines.

Some analysts at the time predicted that Trump’s action would be ineffective at preventing the virus from taking hold in the United States."

The New York Times calculated that at least 430,000 people arrived in the United States on direct flights from China since Jan. 1, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after Trump imposed restrictions. Moreover, screening proceedings of travelers from China have been uneven and inconsistent, the Times said.

Are you actually trying to pretend the ineffectual travel ban put in place compensates for the completely inept response by the admin despite repeated warnings of how severe the outbreak could be in the US.

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Jan. 21 announced the first travel-related case of novel coronavirus in the United States. Trump unveiled his plan 10 days later, making the restrictions effective Feb. 2. (On Jan. 17, the CDC had begun health screenings of passengers on direct or connecting flights from Wuhan, China, the epicenter of the outbreak.)
Trump barred non-U.S. citizens from traveling from China, but there were 11 exceptions, and Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan were not included. U.S. citizens and permanent residents could still travel from China but were subject to screening and possible 14-day quarantine. Some flights were immediately suspended, but others continued for weeks, at the discretion of the airlines.

Some analysts at the time predicted that Trump’s action would be ineffective at preventing the virus from taking hold in the United States."

The New York Times calculated that at least 430,000 people arrived in the United States on direct flights from China since Jan. 1, including nearly 40,000 in the two months after Trump imposed restrictions. Moreover, screening proceedings of travelers from China have been uneven and inconsistent, the Times said.
I’m saying the implication in your OP is Trump did not react for a long time after the memo that is not the case you can continue to rant all you want it’s not going to change this.

I’m saying the implication in your OP is Trump did not react for a long time after the memo that is not the case you can continue to rant all you want it’s not going to change this.
Are you actually trying to pretend the ineffectual travel ban put in place compensates for the completely inept response by the admin despite repeated warnings of how severe the outbreak could be in the US?

Are you actually trying to pretend the ineffectual travel ban put in place compensates for the completely inept response by the admin despite repeated warnings of how severe the outbreak could be in the US?
I’m not defending or criticizing the effectiveness of the ban I’m saying Trump took action two days after the memo and these so called repeated warnings you talk about came in late January which again was when the ban came. The facts don’t support your partisan rant and they are not going to I have to go to work now continue to scream at the sky if it makes you feel better.

Side effects from hydroxychloroquine are really very minimal. It’s used as first line in Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis specifically because it’s so benign.

The people listing what is on the packet insert really don’t know what they’re talking about.

Several years ago my throat began to swell up. It got a little difficult to breathe and swallow. About 2:00 am I went to the emergency room, and they took me right away. They started an IV on me. When the doctor came in, he told me the swelling in my throat was serious, and caused by my high blood pressure medication. I told the doctor I have been taking that medication for a couple of years. He told me that is irrelevant.

They cleaned me out, he instructed me never to take the medication again, and consult my doctor for a replacement.

A few weeks later, I looked into the drug. Other people experienced what I did. Some have died from being suffocated to death. They still sell that drug on the market today.

Angioedema is not extremely uncommon with that drug and probably way over reported. Deaths from it are extremely uncommon. The thing Is there is a significant mortality benefit from using that drug so benefits outweigh risks.

In terms of hydroxychloroqine, the benefits are uncertain. Let’s say it prevents every single death from COVID. Since mortality is only 1%, you have to treat 100 patients just to save one life. In terms of medicine, that’s called number needed to treat, and 100 is up there, although not extremely high. The benefit is probably pretty low. The risks are also low.

In the grand scheme of things, big picture stuff, this is really just not very relevant. If it works, or doesn’t work, this is really not that important.

From what I understand, the symptoms of this thing can be torturous. So even if somebody could survive without it, the drug itself might make people much more comfortable until they are over it. If so, that in itself would be worth using it.

Again, I'd rather endure some discomfort than permanent kidney damage or blindness. I endured 28 hours of labour with no pain meds (they reduced the effectiveness of the contractions), I can do torturous. I have experience.

Good for you, but some people can't. Furthermore it makes no sense to allow people to suffer like that if they don't have to because of politics, which this is really all about.

No Ray. This is not all about politics. This is about science. What Trump is doing is giving false hope. It's selling snake oil to frightened and desperate people. It would not suprise me one bit if the company which manufactures this drug is owned by friends of Donald Trump.

I have read every report I could find on this drug and I read nothing, that leads me to believe this drug is any kind of cure for this virus. As an asthmatic, I'll look at everything out there, and I've taken drugs, knowing that it has probably done real damage, but on the other hand, I'd be dead without it. There is nothing that I've seen that would give me any real hope on this one.

This is no different than Trump telling you that one day the virus will disappear, like magic. He desperately wants a magic pill to make it all go away, and that's not going to happen.
Omfg, lefties are so screwed on their position that they have on this drug. I can't imagine having to ignore all the people who have been getting cured with this drug. Lefties got on the wrong side of this because they were still protesting Trump's big victory in 2016, but Trump is on the winning side again on this drug. Lefties are so screwed on this.

OMG, I couldn't find a single patient who has been cured by this drug, or a single doctor who would recommend it. All I could find is a bunch of people like you who think Donald Trump knows what he's talking about.

Perhaps you should look harder:

An international poll of more than 6,000 doctors released Thursday found that the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine was the most highly rated treatment for the novel coronavirus.

The survey conducted by Sermo, a global health care polling company, of 6,227 physicians in 30 countries found that 37% of those treating COVID-19 patients rated hydroxychloroquine as the “most effective therapy” from a list of 15 options.

Of the physicians surveyed, 3,308 said they had either ordered a COVID-19 test or been involved in caring for a coronavirus patient, and 2,171 of those responded to the question asking which medications were most effective.

The survey also found that the most commonly prescribed treatments are analgesics (56%), azithromycin (41%) and hydroxychloroquine (33%).

“Outside the U.S., hydroxychloroquine was equally used for diagnosed patients with mild to severe symptoms whereas in the U.S. it was most commonly used for high risk diagnosed patients,” the survey found.

The 30 nations surveyed included those in Europe, Asia, North America and South America, as well as Australia. No incentives were provided to participate in the poll, conducted March 25-27, according to Sermo.

Forum List

Back