‘Person of interest’ identified in bias crimes against Asians

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
The more things change, the more they stay the same

By: KIRO 7 News Staff
Updated: May 24, 2020 - 6:03 PM

SEATTLE — Police are investigating a growing number of crimes targeting Asians during the outbreak.

Seattle officers say the racist attacks started late Saturday afternoon in the heart of Ballard and moved to Golden Gardens Park.

>>Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan responds to bias attacks

They believe one man is responsible for all the incidents.
A victim at Golden Gardens Park said the man spat in his face. The workers at Thai Thani Restaurant said the man picked up things and threw those at them while demanding to know if they are “Chinese.”

“I hear some noise, and I see some guy like angry, yelling.”

That was the first time when Umboom Moore knew something unusual was happening Saturday night at the Thai restaurant where she works.

“Just like some crazy guy,” she said. “So I just start taking picture.”

Her co-worker, Natthiya Chumdee, said he was yelling at her.

“Like right over there, he smashed the window,” she said, “Like so aggressive.”

When he asked if she is Chinese, she told him everyone there is Thai. He asked her to kneel and swear to it.

“Well, I’m not going to do that,” she said. “He’s starting like lose control. And he comes here, and he says, ‘You know, I’m going to slam the door, this table to you.’”

The night before, Tonya McCabe got the brunt of his anger.

“He said like, ‘Are you Chinese?’” she said. “And I said, ‘No, we’re not.’ And he still keep like yelling at us. And I said, ‘If you’re not going to leave, I’m like going to call 911.’ And then he said, ‘Better f***ing call 911.’”

Just last week, a man was captured on camera shoving an Asian couple as they walked by. They told Seattle police he spat on them, too.

The man in these latest attacks is described as white, 5 feet, 10 inches tall, in his mid-20s to mid-30s and is of a muscular build. He was wearing a white shirt and shorts. It is the same suspect description in two attacks at Golden Gardens Park Saturday night.

“I stand back there and be like yell to him to like ‘Get out, leave,!’” said McCabe.

It has McCabe and the others working at this restaurant finding a different way to get around this city that is now their home.

“I’m afraid to like walk on the street or take a bus,” said McCabe.

They tell us the man also approached other Asian businesses in this area before apparently heading to Golden Gardens Park.

Anyone who recognizes him is asked to call Seattle police.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

By: KIRO 7 News Staff
Updated: May 24, 2020 - 6:03 PM

SEATTLE — Police are investigating a growing number of crimes targeting Asians during the outbreak.

Seattle officers say the racist attacks started late Saturday afternoon in the heart of Ballard and moved to Golden Gardens Park.

>>Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan responds to bias attacks

They believe one man is responsible for all the incidents.
A victim at Golden Gardens Park said the man spat in his face. The workers at Thai Thani Restaurant said the man picked up things and threw those at them while demanding to know if they are “Chinese.”

“I hear some noise, and I see some guy like angry, yelling.”

That was the first time when Umboom Moore knew something unusual was happening Saturday night at the Thai restaurant where she works.

“Just like some crazy guy,” she said. “So I just start taking picture.”

Her co-worker, Natthiya Chumdee, said he was yelling at her.

“Like right over there, he smashed the window,” she said, “Like so aggressive.”

When he asked if she is Chinese, she told him everyone there is Thai. He asked her to kneel and swear to it.

“Well, I’m not going to do that,” she said. “He’s starting like lose control. And he comes here, and he says, ‘You know, I’m going to slam the door, this table to you.’”

The night before, Tonya McCabe got the brunt of his anger.

“He said like, ‘Are you Chinese?’” she said. “And I said, ‘No, we’re not.’ And he still keep like yelling at us. And I said, ‘If you’re not going to leave, I’m like going to call 911.’ And then he said, ‘Better f***ing call 911.’”

Just last week, a man was captured on camera shoving an Asian couple as they walked by. They told Seattle police he spat on them, too.

The man in these latest attacks is described as white, 5 feet, 10 inches tall, in his mid-20s to mid-30s and is of a muscular build. He was wearing a white shirt and shorts. It is the same suspect description in two attacks at Golden Gardens Park Saturday night.

“I stand back there and be like yell to him to like ‘Get out, leave,!’” said McCabe.

It has McCabe and the others working at this restaurant finding a different way to get around this city that is now their home.

“I’m afraid to like walk on the street or take a bus,” said McCabe.

They tell us the man also approached other Asian businesses in this area before apparently heading to Golden Gardens Park.

Anyone who recognizes him is asked to call Seattle police.
I was REALLY thinking it was probably a black man doing these crimes............

"Kneel and swear you're not Chinese..."

Pretty sure that guy is a few beers short of a six pack.

Hmm... a guy said semi-threatening things to someone. Threatened to dump over a table and left in a huff.

Newsworthy? :dunno:
If this is the same person who they first reported on last week, the fact that he's continuing his crimes is concerning. The first crime he committed was an assault and bias/hate crime when he out of the blue assaulted an asian couple walking down the street, is alleged to have stated "it's all your fault" and then pulled down his mask and spit on the male.
Police: Can you ID this man who attacked an Asian couple and said ‘It’s all your fault’?

I hope they catch him soon. While being an asshole isn't necessarily a crime, it is when motivated by a person's race, religion, national origin, etc. at least in Washington State. He hit the guy in the face and spit on him both of which are assault.

We are experiencing an epidemic of thug behavior here in the U.S. that is costing taxpayers millions in law-enforcement salaries and taking our LEOs away from other pressing business. This guy had no right to bother these people, much less threaten them and frighten them.

Our leaders MUST make clear that no one who is not an LEO has the right to stop anyone and question them, prevent them from going on their way, demand that they answer questionss, harass them, swear at them, or intimidate them. This includes the monkeys who just walk up to people and tell them to go back where they came from. For an adult to do this tells the world that his or her parents did a very poor job.

Hmm... a guy said semi-threatening things to someone. Threatened to dump over a table and left in a huff.

Newsworthy? :dunno:
In lib la la land its national news worthy

STOP THE PRESSES!

We have an angry man on isle 7!

But having said that, he is obviously breaking the law and should be stopped before he hurts someone

Forum List

Back