Perry continues to lead Romney

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
In the first poll out since the second debate...Perry continues to lead by a wide margin.

Republicans are also more enthusiastic than Democrats about voting in 2012, a reversal from 2008.

CBS News / NY Times poll released yesterday:

Perry..............23
Romney..........16
Bachmann........7
Gingrich...........7
Cain................5
Paul................5
Huntsman.........1
Santorum.........1
Undecided......22
Palin was not included in the poll as a candidate, but the question was asked "Is your opinion of Sarah Palin favorable, not favorable, undecided, or haven't you heard enough about Sarah Palin yet to have an opinion?"

For the first time in CBS News Polls, more Republicans now view Palin unfavorably (39%) than favorably (36%). Opinions are similar among Republican primary voters.

Also, "Half of primary voters who pick a candidate for the nomination say they like their candidate but have reservations about him or her. Six in 10 Perry and Romney supporters say they have reservations about their candidate. And Romney’s support is somewhat weaker than Perry’s – just 25% of Romney’s supporters strongly favor him, compared to 33% of Perry’s."

A lot more interesting data in the poll results, I encourage you all to read the entire commentary here in pdf: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2011/NYT_CBS_Republicans_0916.pdf

Last edited:
Perry's number have come down a fair amount. He was polling at 38% two weeks ago. That's not surprising, given that it was expected there would be a surge from the excitement from his initial announcement, followed by a decline.

There have been a series of polls with and without Palin included. Generally, Perry's numbers have dropped by 8-10% when Palin has been included, implying that Palin's supporters are supporting Perry when Palin is not in the race. However, this was the first poll without Palin showing Perry at the lowest number yet since he entered the race. It could be an outlier, however.

Romney has to be concerned, given that he can't crack the ~20% level.

Last edited:
Perry's number have come down a fair amount. He was polling at 38% two weeks ago. That's not surprising, given that it was expected there would be a surge from the excitement from his initial announcement, followed by a decline.

There have been a series of polls with and without Palin included. Generally, Perry's numbers have dropped by 8-10% when Palin has been included, implying that Palin's supporters are supporting Perry when Palin is not in the race. However, this was the first poll without Palin showing Perry at the lowest number yet since he entered the race. It could be an outlier, however.

Perry isn't losing ground against the other candidates...there are more undecided's in this poll.

The other polls don't give "as yet undecided" as an option...only "not sure"

In this poll 22% answer undecided...where in the other polls, only 2 to 10 percent answer not sure.

In the poll you are referring to only 5% answered "not sure".

That says to me that when pressured, the undecided's overwhelmingly break for Perry. (<----my opinion)

Last edited:
In the first poll out since the second debate...Perry continues to lead by a wide margin.

Republicans are also more enthusiastic than Democrats about voting in 2012, a reversal from 2008.

Perry..............23
Romney..........16
Bachmann........7
Gingrich...........7
Cain................5
Paul................5
Huntsman.........1
Santorum.........1
Undecided......22
Palin was not included in the poll as a candidate, but the question was asked "Is your opinion of Sarah Palin favorable, not favorable, undecided, or haven't you heard enough about Sarah Palin yet to have an opinion?"

For the first time in CBS News Polls, more Republicans now view Palin unfavorably (39%) than favorably (36%). Opinions are similar among Republican primary voters.

Also, "Half of primary voters who pick a candidate for the nomination say they like their candidate but have reservations about him or her. Six in 10 Perry and Romney supporters say they have reservations about their candidate. And Romney’s support is somewhat weaker than Perry’s – just 25% of Romney’s supporters strongly favor him, compared to 33% of Perry’s."

A lot more interesting data in the poll results, I encourage you all to read the entire commentary here in pdf: http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2011/NYT_CBS_Republicans_0916.pdf

I dont even like Ron Paul but I respect him enough to know he should be higher than freaking Cain. Damn.

OH and were is lil miss sarah. (insert your own joke here please) ___________________

Perry isn't losing ground against the other candidates...there are more undecided's in this poll.

In this poll 22% answer undecided...where in the other polls, only 2 to 10 percent answer not sure.

That says to me that when pressured, the undecided's overwhelmingly break for Perry. (<----my opinion)

WE on the left DREAM that perry will win. It will be fun destroying him. Hell we even want Bachmann or better yet PALIN to win!

Any GOP candidate will guarantee a win for Obama in 2012 anyway.

God bless the United states and God bless President Barrak Obama! :tongue:

WE on the left DREAM that perry will win. It will be fun destroying him. Hell we even want Bachmann or better yet PALIN to win!

Kudos for being better at the reverse psychology than most.

Romney's been running for president for 6 years and can just barely beat Obama on paper.

Perry's been running six weeks and is already within 5.3 points of Obama in the general election.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - General Election: Perry vs. Obama

I think other polls will show Romney ahead. Perry is the real deal, but key figures in conservative base are giving the nod to Romney, which I think is wrong.

Romney is someone us conservatives cannot trust. He is a RINO, that issued a health insurance mandate in his state and endorsed cap and trade. He is a one term guy, if he gets elected.

Perry messed up, when talking about ss, and I'm sure the democrats will demagogue what he said, but he has plenty of time to change the perception of his ss problem, after all few people are really paying attention to these debates.

I know the overriding obsession is beating Obama, and.I agree Romney would be much better than Obama, but Perry Rubio is like Kobe and Shaq for 16 years.

Perry..............23
Romney..........16
Bachmann........7
Gingrich...........7
Cain................5
Paul................5
Huntsman.........1
Santorum.........1
Undecided......22

I dont even like Ron Paul but I respect him enough to know he should be higher than freaking Cain. Damn.

OH and were is lil miss sarah. (insert your own joke here please) ___________________
It's just one poll. His RCP average is 3rd place.

Perry is a pretender good ole' boy. Neither him or Romney can beat Obama. Perry smacks of GW incarnate. That ain't gonna cut it.

Who is Barrak Obama? :lol:

Is he the President of Kenya?

I wonder if he is related to the President of the United States...Barack Obama.

Dam*, that's embarrassing.

Good point.

Here's another recent poll.

26 Rick Perry
22 Mitt Romney
9 Michele Bachmann
8 Sarah Palin
8 Ron Paul
4 Herman Cain
4 Newt Gingrich
2 Rick Santorum
1 Jon Huntsman
6 None of these
10 Not sure

http://media.bloomberg.com/bb/avfile/rE6BuEG98dFM

You can see that Perry has come down from that ~35% level nonetheless. But this poll includes Palin, who drags down Perry in the polls.

Last edited:
Still talking about dumb and dumberer?? In the meantime unelectable Ron Paul arrives at the GOP convention in CA.

Soon he will need blackwater to keep back the cheering crowd of eh... people that wont vote for him?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nm6D9VenmmE&feature=player_embedded]Ron Paul Arrives at CA GOP Convention - YouTube[/ame]

I think the nomination and the presidency will go to the person who is most likely to create jobs in the private sector and put an end to the attempted communality of the Obama/Biden/Clinton White House.

I think that man's name is Texas Governor Rick Perry, warts and all. :D

I think the nomination and the presidency will go to the person who is most likely to create jobs in the private sector and put an end to the attempted communality of the Obama/Biden/Clinton White House.

I think that man's name is Texas Governor Rick Perry, warts and all. :D

How is Rick Perry going to create jobs, do you know?? Cause none else does.

The issue seems to be a republican but which republican? All the negative Perry stuff in the democrat dirty tricks arsenal seems to have backfired. Perry's name recognition has grown faster than Romney which the left secretly supports.

Ron Paul will create jobs by immeadiatly bringing home all the troops from around the world. Instead of dumping money into everyone elses economy dont you think its time to start taking care of America??

He will use the troops to secure the borders, what a crazy idea??? How will Rick Perry do it?? Waste millions of dollars on a fence??? No worry, that fence has 0 probability of actually happening, just campain rhetoric.

The issue seems to be a republican but which republican? All the negative Perry stuff in the democrat dirty tricks arsenal seems to have backfired. Perry's name recognition has grown faster than Romney which the left secretly supports.

Not so secret now... :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back