Perhaps it’s time for a change.

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
The Modern Education System Was Made to Foster “Punctual, Docile, and Sober” Factory Workers

The education system as we know it is only about 200 years old. Before that, formal education was mostly reserved for the elite. But as industrialization changed the way we work, it created the need for universal schooling.

Factory owners required a docile, agreeable workers who would show up on time and do what their managers told them. Sitting in a classroom all day with a teacher was good training for that. Early industrialists were instrumental, then, in creating and promoting universal education. Now that we are moving into a new, post-industrial era, it is worth reflecting on how our education evolved to suit factory work, and if this model still makes sense.

No doubt it's time for a change and has been for a few decades- not sure there will ever be agreement, but, one thing for sure with the empty suits of Academics and the District of Criminals involved it's not likely to be change for the better.

The Modern Education System Was Made to Foster “Punctual, Docile, and Sober” Factory Workers

The education system as we know it is only about 200 years old. Before that, formal education was mostly reserved for the elite. But as industrialization changed the way we work, it created the need for universal schooling.

Factory owners required a docile, agreeable workers who would show up on time and do what their managers told them. Sitting in a classroom all day with a teacher was good training for that. Early industrialists were instrumental, then, in creating and promoting universal education. Now that we are moving into a new, post-industrial era, it is worth reflecting on how our education evolved to suit factory work, and if this model still makes sense.

No doubt it's time for a change and has been for a few decades- not sure there will ever be agreement, but, one thing for sure with the empty suits of Academics and the District of Criminals involved it's not likely to be change for the better.

It used to be that industry trained their own workforce and I think it should be that way again. Schools stuck to teaching literacy and basic skills in math and such so those desiring more were able to pretty much educate themselves.
As it is today graduates are clueless, dumber than a box of rocks and pretty much useless for anything or anyone, especially themselves.

• Banned
It used to be that industry trained their own workforce and I think it should be that way again. Schools stuck to teaching literacy and basic skills in math and such so those desiring more were able to pretty much educate themselves.
As it is today graduates are clueless, dumber than a box of rocks and pretty much useless for anything or anyone, especially themselves.
I remember reading years ago in the Houston Chronicle that "business leaders" were asked what needed to be taught in school- I don't recall the responses- but, I'd say they were probably pretty much in line with the article. Since then I've looked at "schooling" in a rather dim light- and have read way too many stories of kids entering college needing remedial reading and remedial basic math- they were probably very docile and compliant though- LOL- I find it atrocious. I stopped going to formal school in the 9th grade- two different schools in two different towns- I can read though and do basic math in my head-

Funny anecdote: In a previous life I got promoted to an engineering slot and had to do a lot of basic math so I bought calculator- I manually checked the results for a long time- LOL-

John Taylor Gatto: The Underground History of American Education

https://iwcenglish1.typepad.com/Documents/Gatto_Dumbing_Us_Down.pdf

The Underground History of American Education
An Intimate Investigation into the Prison of Modern Schooling, by John Taylor Gatto (2001)

The Underground History of American Education - UnwelcomeGuests

Underground_history_of_american_education_cover.jpg

Forum List

Back