People with extremist views less able to do complex mental tasks, research suggests

Well , I think that deep down we all knew this. But scientific evidence like this will help our society combat the rise of extremist filth in years to come. It explains the herd mentality behind trumpism. The Capitol insurrection. The abusive and aggresssive stance and the overwhelming fear of "other".

Read the report's findings and find yourself nodding in agreement.

A key finding was that people with extremist attitudes tended to think about the world in black and white terms, and struggled with complex tasks that required intricate mental steps, said lead author Dr Leor Zmigrod at Cambridge’s department of psychology.

And

“Individuals or brains that struggle to process and plan complex action sequences may be more drawn to extreme ideologies, or authoritarian ideologies that simplify the world,” she said.

Extreme is relative. To Saudi Arabia, most Americans are extreme progressives. To Sweden, most Americans are extreme conservatives.

Authoritarianism also has plenty of influence on both the left and right.

Progressivism itself could be seen as "extreme" in its willingness to silence people who go outside of preferred narratives. They certainly believe that the world is black and white, at least in terms of viewing other perspectives as "bigoted."

Did this study figure out why liberals have an inherent inability to conceive of other possibilities, i.e., why, to a liberal, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia or any number of other -isms and -phobias are the only possible reasons that conservative hold their views?

Did this study figure out why liberals have an inherent inability to conceive of other possibilities, i.e., why, to a liberal, racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia or any number of other -isms and -phobias are the only possible reasons that conservative hold their views?
Its just about mental ability. We saw it in the brexit debate. All the University towns voted remain. All the thicko towns voted for brexit. guess who was proved right ?

In the states it is inconceivable that an intelligent person would vote for someone as debased as trump. They would lose any sense of self respect. His followers are the same folk that pump cash into the coffers of the tele evangelists. Thick as shit.

Tommy Tainant well plus you are missing a leg, too right? That could help explain your mental instability besides being just regular nuts.
The evidence is here on this forum. Moderate folk are generally more intelligent and able to hold a discussion. Extremists are unable to do so and are forced to defend trump on everything when it is clear that he is a criminal.
And that is because they are unable to form a rational argument or lack the intellect to see the error of their ways.

Its just about mental ability. We saw it in the brexit debate. All the University towns voted remain. All the thicko towns voted for brexit. guess who was proved right ?

In the states it is inconceivable that an intelligent person would vote for someone as debased as trump. They would lose any sense of self respect. His followers are the same folk that pump cash into the coffers of the tele evangelists. Thick as shit.

Shut the fuck up Limey cock sucker.
While I identify as a Christian I dont go to church nor do I give them money.
You have no clue what type of people support Trump so I'm gonna tell you the type .......The same type of people that kicked your limey ass back across the pond in 1776.
The liberals are just like you and we'll kick their ass as well.

Tommy Tainant well, since you are the one always babbling about Trump and we sane people are not, my theory sounded pretty reasonable. Most people, even Dims, aren't as confused about facts as you.
The leader of the "opposition" is a legit subject to discuss. You cretins are still going on about Mrs Clinton without an ounce of self awareness.

None of this answers the question I asked. Why is it that, more often than not, liberals can never conceive of other possibilities for the motives of a conservative's opinions or actions other than racism or some form of prejudice?

Well , I think that deep down we all knew this. But scientific evidence like this will help our society combat the rise of extremist filth in years to come. It explains the herd mentality behind trumpism. The Capitol insurrection. The abusive and aggresssive stance and the overwhelming fear of "other".

A key finding was that people with extremist attitudes tended to think about the world in black and white terms, and struggled with complex tasks that required intricate mental steps, said lead author Dr Leor Zmigrod at Cambridge’s department of psychology.

And

“Individuals or brains that struggle to process and plan complex action sequences may be more drawn to extreme ideologies, or authoritarian ideologies that simplify the world,” she said.

Interestingly the Scientists distinguish between conservatives and the reall extremist loons.

The UK has seen the damage that this causes and can reference brexit as an outcome, a disastrous outcome of stupid people being unable to process facts.

Now I would ask my many American friends to consider the value of discussing any complex issue with an extremist. Is there any point ? Climate change is a complex issue that requires more than one sentence to explain it. Is this character likely to grasp it even if you speak slowly and use small words ?

View attachment 460649

Of course not. He will grasp at some simplistic nonsense that he has read on the internet because of course it must be true.

So I submit that this Cambridge study answers the big question.

Why do extremists believe such stupid shit ?

The answer,of course, is because they are stupid.

Applies to you too!

That's why you keep trying to put cock rings on your Welsh chickens and killing them!!

And

Interestingly the Scientists distinguish between conservatives and the reall extremist loons.

The UK has seen the damage that this causes and can reference brexit as an outcome, a disastrous outcome of stupid people being unable to process facts.

Now I would ask my many American friends to consider the value of discussing any complex issue with an extremist. Is there any point ? Climate change is a complex issue that requires more than one sentence to explain it. Is this character likely to grasp it even if you speak slowly and use small words ?

View attachment 460649

Of course not. He will grasp at some simplistic nonsense that he has read on the internet because of course it must be true.

So I submit that this Cambridge study answers the big question.

Why do extremists believe such stupid shit ?

The answer,of course, is because they are stupid.
Progressives and climate hoaxers should be able to answer your question although you shouldn't actually need to ask. Odd how extremists are always trying to fit that label on everybody else.

Forum List

Back