People Buying “Natural Food” Don't Know What They're Buying”

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
635894193787350263-XXX-GAN-NATURAL-FOODS-062912-3.jpg

As someone who's grown and harvested crops, I always chuckle when I see the signs like “Natural” and “Organic.” Does anyone here know what they mean? I doubt it. And, to complicate things, nowhere is there some kind of oversight as to what makes them what they claim to be. Here's a statement to ponder on:

"From a food-science perspective, it is difficult to define a food product that is 'natural' because the food has probably been processed in some way," says Lauren Kotwicki, a spokeswoman for the FDA. Pointing out the potential to split hairs, Just says all food at the grocery store passes through human manipulation at some point, even if it's just that a human planted the seed.

It's not as if we're buying "naturally-occurring wild carrots or something," he says. "It’s really hard to come up with a definition that’s both intuitive and actually meaningful to the consumer."

Read the story @ More shoppers buying 'natural' food, yet most don't know what it means

To anyone paying attention, it is no surprise that "organic" or "natural" produce is (a) no more nutritious, and (b) no more likely to contain harmful substances, than the stuff in the main supermarket produce section.

I suspect the people who are paying a premium for "organic" stuff are the same ones drinking bottled water.

Idjits.

And most of the idiots don't realize that bottled water is no more than filtered tap water.

Forum List

Back