Pension Bailouts in the COVID Relief Bill

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Did you know: One provision in the $1.9 trillion legislation that’s recently passed in the Senate is the $86 billion bailout for failing pensions. As The New York Times reports, taxpayer money is going towards problems that existed prior to the pandemic.

Tucked inside the $1.9 trillion stimulus bill that cleared the Senate on Saturday is an $86 billion aid package that has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Rather, the $86 billion is a taxpayer bailout for about 185 union pension plans that are so close to collapse that without the rescue, more than a million retired truck drivers, retail clerks, builders and others could be forced to forgo retirement income.

The bailout targets multiemployer pension plans, which bring groups of companies together with a union to provide guaranteed benefits. All told, about 1,400 of the plans cover about 10.7 million active and retired workers, often in fields like construction or entertainment where the workers move from job to job. As the work force ages, an alarming number of the plans are running out of money. The trend predated the pandemic and is a result of fading unions, serial bankruptcies and the misplaced hope that investment income would foot most of the bill so that employers and workers wouldn’t have to. (NYT)

What's even more appalling? "The provision does not require the plans to pay back the bailout, freeze accruals or to end the practices that led to their current distress, which means their troubles could recur. Nor does it explain what will happen when the taxpayer money runs out 30 years from now."
Washington spending $86 billion to bail out *private* pensions is a strong indicator of how Congress will respond to the SocSec & Medicare trust funds hitting zero - no reforms, just permanent bailouts. That's how you get $100 trillion in 30-year deficits.

I did not realize this was in that bill. Payola strike again, nothing like having an entire political party behind you. Did the GOP try to stop this? Don't know, they should have at least tried.

You know what a pension is, right? Retirement money for workers?

Why do you hate American workers?
You federal supremacists are the reason why, throughout our entire civilized history, people have ALWAYS been oppressed by central govts. Because you limp wristed sheeple would rather have someone "take care" of you then crave freedom and liberty.
Its like in you bedwetters genes or something.
Hopefully they will find a fix for that genetic disorder one day. Maybe I will live to see it!

That help shouldn't come from a bill which is supposed to address something completely unrelated to pensions...
Apparently the Senate Parlamentarian disagreed with you.

A bunch of shit-bag democrats disagreed with me.

It's astounding that you idiots on the left can't see the forest for the trees. This bill will be the beginning of the ass-fucking of this country...

That help shouldn't come from a bill which is supposed to address something completely unrelated to pensions...

Sorry...to the victors go the spoils. We won the election so we are the captain now.

Sorry...to the victors go the spoils. We won the election so we are the captain now.
You aint shit. You just follow your cult around like a lost puppy.
They use you retarded faggots.

Did you know: One provision in the $1.9 trillion legislation that’s recently passed in the Senate is the $86 billion bailout for failing pensions. As The New York Times reports, taxpayer money is going towards problems that existed prior to the pandemic.

Tucked inside the $1.9 trillion stimulus bill that cleared the Senate on Saturday is an $86 billion aid package that has nothing to do with the pandemic.

Rather, the $86 billion is a taxpayer bailout for about 185 union pension plans that are so close to collapse that without the rescue, more than a million retired truck drivers, retail clerks, builders and others could be forced to forgo retirement income.

The bailout targets multiemployer pension plans, which bring groups of companies together with a union to provide guaranteed benefits. All told, about 1,400 of the plans cover about 10.7 million active and retired workers, often in fields like construction or entertainment where the workers move from job to job. As the work force ages, an alarming number of the plans are running out of money. The trend predated the pandemic and is a result of fading unions, serial bankruptcies and the misplaced hope that investment income would foot most of the bill so that employers and workers wouldn’t have to. (NYT)

What's even more appalling? "The provision does not require the plans to pay back the bailout, freeze accruals or to end the practices that led to their current distress, which means their troubles could recur. Nor does it explain what will happen when the taxpayer money runs out 30 years from now."
Washington spending $86 billion to bail out *private* pensions is a strong indicator of how Congress will respond to the SocSec & Medicare trust funds hitting zero - no reforms, just permanent bailouts. That's how you get $100 trillion in 30-year deficits.

I did not realize this was in that bill. Payola strike again, nothing like having an entire political party behind you. Did the GOP try to stop this? Don't know, they should have at least tried.

I saw it in there and couldn't believe what I was reading. No way should our tax money be used to bail out anyone's pension. Barry did with the UAW and it shouldn't have been done then. Hell they still haven't paid that money back.

That you are. A Captain that will sink the USA ship. Dumbass.

No need for name calling.

Those are private pensions. No way should our tax dollars be used to bail them out.
Why is that? They bailed out private banks in 2008 with a $850 bill TARP bill, but can't bailout private pensions?

Why do you hate America?

Those are private pensions. No way should our tax dollars be used to bail them out.
Why is that? They bailed out private banks in 2008 with a $850 bill TARP bill, but can't bailout private pensions?

Why do you hate America?

Oh I love America. I just don't like to see my hard earned money wasted on private union pension funds. Oh and that TARP bill was all Barry. Many of those banks didn't need the money and told them so. They were threatened with auditing for years if they didn't take it.

Why do YOU hate America??

Why do you hate America?
Its anti american to not want to bail out failure? :lmao:

Why do you hate America?
I was against that bailout also. If you fail you should pay the price, not tax payers.

Why do you hate America?

Oh I love America. I just don't like to see my hard earned money wasted on private union pension funds. Oh and that TARP bill was all Barry. Many of those banks didn't need the money and told them so. They were threatened with auditing for years if they didn't take it.

Why do YOU hate America??
TARP was signed by President Bush

Why do you hate America?
I was against that bailout also. If you fail you should pay the price, not tax payers.
The economy would have collapsed and me, you, and your parents would have all lost our jobs.

Forum List

Back