Pennsylvania Election Day Plagued By Confusion Over State's Blocked Voter ID Law

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON -- In October, a Pennsylvania judge blocked the state from implementing its voter ID law in time for the 2012 elections. But his opinion was complicated: Election officials are allowed to ask voters to show photo ID, but they can't require them to do so in order to cast a ballot. And now, on Election Day, that ruling is causing significant confusion among both voters and poll workers.

"The state did a horrible job about educating voters about what the ID requirements were for this election," said Marcia Johnson-Blanco with the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights. "What we find today is that voters are showing up at the polls and in many precincts -- far too many -- they're either being turned away because they don't have the ID, or they're being asked to vote with a provisional ballot, which is not what the law requires."

More: Pennsylvania Election Day Plagued By Confusion Over State's Blocked Voter ID Law

there was no confusion on this at my polling place. They asked for my ID, but told mne I was not required to show it if I did not want to.

Of course I showed it to make sure my vote was incontestable.

there was no confusion on this at my polling place. They asked for my ID, but told mne I was not required to show it if I did not want to.

Of course I showed it to make sure my vote was incontestable.

Consider yourself lucky. I assume you're white...

Forum List

Back