Penn St Univ Greek-Sys Frat Houses Under Fire

yiostheoy

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2016
"Years of bad behavior by students in fraternities and sororities are threatening the future of the Greek system at Penn State University.

The school's president wrote an open letter to slam behavior including alcohol abuse, hazing and sexual assault. The school has faced intense scrutiny since February when sophomore Timothy Piazza died after a fraternity party accident.

In an open letter posted online Monday, Penn State president Dr. Eric Barron said despite the guidelines, “nine of the university’s 82 fraternities and sororities” broke rules during parents weekend. There are signs that the “bad behavior will not end with our rules” and will “just go underground,” he wrote.

“Never in a million years are they going to close those fraternities down,” said Caitlin Flanagan, a contributing editor to The Atlantic.

“College presidents, they have almost no power. The fraternities are privately-owned organizations, they take place off campus in privately owned houses on privately held land,” Flanagan said."

According to Penn State, Greek life community members at the college are “four times more likely to be heavy drinkers” and sorority women are “50 percent more likely” to be “sexually assaulted.”

The school tightened up its party policy earlier this year by banning kegs and hard liquor at parties. It also started unannounced compliance checks, among other things.

In February, Piazza slipped down a flight of stairs while partying at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house and died two days later. Penn state banned the chapter after the incident.

In 2015, the fraternity Kappa Delta Rho received a three-year suspension for hazing, selling drugs, underage drinking and harassing women.

Fraternities, sororities could be banished at Penn State

Anybody have good or bad memories from frat house days?

We had a great frat house. Evan was 30 and working on his Ph.D. in History. He was the frat house resident leader.

He had a fascinating handgun collection from a 380 Walther PPK to a Ruger 44 magnum and everything in between. He took us shooting at his local gun club. I ultimately decided back then on a 9x19mm Smith & Wesson Model 59 and bought one on my 21st birthday in the year of my graduation. Kept it with me for a long time until I ultimately graduated to a 45ACP.

He also bought the booze for our frat parties and the beers for our fridge.

The girls we invited from the nearby sororities loved us long time.

Sorority girls have an innate fear of dying as a virgin. We helped them with that problem.

:D

Last edited:
"Four times more likely to be heavy drinkers" -- that would be moi.

:D

"50 percent more likely to be sexually assaulted" -- our frat house had a strict hands-off policy. But college kids can't keep their hands off each other. Especially with vodka-spiked punch. It makes everyone very romantic.

We made bunk bed rooms with 4 brothers to a room in order to free up some of the other bedrooms for romance and/or studying. Each of the study rooms had a couple of desks side by side at one end and a cot at the other end. This way you could study all nite and catch some z's before a major exam. The cot worked great for amorous sorority sisters during the frat parties too. We put locks on these doors.

We had great parties.

My part time job in college was as a pizza chef at the local dive.

So when we gave a frat party and invited the sorority sisters over, I made pizza from scratch. My own date would help me in the kitchen with the pizza.

Frat girls love food. They are usually starving. And our frat parties had lots of food and lots of spiked punch.

Even was great at mixing the drinks. He had bartending experience. A 15% drink is normally enough to get one girl loaded after one tall iced glass. He taught us how that works. For the guys it takes more -- 2 or 3 drinks.

First he measured the liquor, then he added ice, then he added the punch. It was fruit punch made from several jugs of different kinds of fruit drinks.

I measured the components for the pizza sauce. I left the drinks up to them. There was always enough food and drinks to go around, and no leftovers when it was over.

I almost went to Penn State, was accepted but chose Pitt instead. Dropped out anyway....

My oldest grandson is starting at Cal Poly in Sept and he's the fraternity type...

So many fraternities have been banned though, my daughter is probably glad....she was reading a list of some and how long they are banned the last time I was visiting.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back