Peace on the left, Justice on the right

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Peace on the left, justice on the right.

Let whispers become shouts, let shouts become demands for justice.

Riots are the language of those who choose to remain silent.

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.

In a real sense, nonviolence seeks to redeem the spiritual and moral lag that I spoke of earlier as the chief dilemma of modern man. It seeks to secure moral ends through moral means. Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. Indeed, it is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it."

-Martin Luther King, Jr., The Quest for Peace and Justice, Nobel Prize Acceptance, University of Oslo, December 11, 1964

Last edited:

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.

In a real sense, nonviolence seeks to redeem the spiritual and moral lag that I spoke of earlier as the chief dilemma of modern man. It seeks to secure moral ends through moral means. Nonviolence is a powerful and just weapon. Indeed, it is a weapon unique in history, which cuts without wounding and ennobles the man who wields it."

-Martin Luther King, Jr., The Quest for Peace and Justice, Nobel Prize Acceptance, University of Oslo, December 11, 1964

You got that quote wrong. Dr. King actually said that "riots are the language of the unheard", not the people who choose to remain silent as you falsely claimed.

You got that quote wrong. Dr. King actually said that "riots are the language of the unheard", not the people who choose to remain silent as you falsely claimed.

Yeah, I modified it. Because in that sense, King was wrong.

There will be those who choose to remain silent and engage in violence and rioting instead of dialogue. Like in the Nobel speech I quoted, people who engage in violence and rioting seek to humiliate someone or some group rather than winning them over peacefully:

"It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert."

Last edited:

And in the full context of the quote, he was referring to plights of the "negro poor" in America. They had a just cause. But the rioters then, and now, took the cause they claimed to strive for and butchered it. They lost the message.

To justify the riots as a "language of the unheard" is naive and dangerous. It is also quoted wildly out of context. Look at how many people were ruined this past week because some people chose to speak the 'language of the unheard.' If you want to be taken seriously, speak out!

Last edited:
streets have now been taken back by the American people.
You are hereby evicted.
Get the fuck out.
violence, vandalism, and v...isciousness is forbidden. FORBIDDEN!

"Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard."

I would advise some to quote in context, at least, before attempting to lecture me.

C_Clayton_Jones

Last edited:
As long as there are terrorist organizations like antifa and BLM, there will never be peace. And yes, BLM is a terrorist organization. The only reason people aren't saying it is because they're Black. Both of these groups do nothing to improve our country. They're both funded by the ultimate asshole, Soros, and they both do everything they can to promote hatred and dissent. The sooner antifa and BLM dies, the better chance the USA has to live. Fuck them and fuck this computer for correcting me and capitalizing antifa automatically. Those MFers don't deserve a capital letter. Now I have to go back and correct these assholes who over rode my spelling.

There will be those who choose to remain silent and engage in violence and rioting instead of dialogue. Like in the Nobel speech I quoted, people who engage in violence and rioting seek to humiliate someone or some group rather than winning them over peacefully:

"It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert."

And in the full context of the quote, he was referring to plights of the "negro poor" in America. They had a just cause. But the rioters then, and now, took the cause they claimed to strive for and butchered it. They lost the message.

To justify the riots as a "language of the unheard" is naive and dangerous. It is also quoted wildly out of context. Look at how many people were ruined this past week because some people chose to speak the 'language of the unheard.' If you want to be taken seriously, speak out!

Sorry, but your interpretation of what you think King meant isn't what he actually said, so I'm guessing you are coloring his words through your own perceptions, not his.

some people are racists, some abhor racism. I don't think we're ever going to resolve that

I saw a sign a protestor was holding in the footage on Fox News of the Secret Service pushing the people away from Lafayette Park. It had that exact "Riots are the language of the unheard." quote.

I thought to myself, "this person is trying to use MLK's words to justify the rioting, even though MLK himself was an advocate of nonviolence."

So, it struck me. Riots are not the language of the unheard, they are the language of those who remain silent. Riots go unheard because they don't convey a message and are employed by people who are incapable of conveying it. Thus, the message is unheard. The message is unheard because people remain silent and choose a less desirable means of conveying it.

Last edited:

I don't think King was wrong - the unheard.

Look at who, around the world, is typically involved in rioting. They are the unheard. And, let's be honest - the opportunists too.

But I think King was right - when every attempt to be heard is ignored, then violence becomes the language of desperation.

I have a feeling that this death was just the tipping point of a massive amount of desperation that included Ahmed Arbery, other deaths, the tremendous job losses from covid.

Let me add - I am NOT in any way justifying rioting and looting and violence. Just trying to understand it.

Look at who, around the world, is typically involved in rioting. They are the unheard.

Why are they 'unheard'? Because they chose not to speak. They chose violence instead of dialogue.

How do you know they chose not to speak - that they hadn't spoken before?

Orlando Casteele?
Ahmaud Arbery?
on and on?

Forum List

Back