PC Sound Issues

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
On my Linux desktop I noticed a while back that occasionally the sound would become very tinny with a bad echo. It would go away after a few minutes and was random, ultimately it just didn't go away. Okay, I'm thinking the built in sound card was failing so I ordered an inexpensive but good Sound Blaster PCIe card. When it arrived I plugged it in and huge difference in sound. Since it's in the back of the computer I had also ordered a 3' jack extension, it arrived later that afternoon and when I hooked it up, nothing, no sound. Disconnected it still no sound, turned off the computer took the card out and the computer wouldn't power on.
Great........ Start with the simple, easy checks and yup, the power cord wasn't all the way in, only making partial contact which is why the sound problem was intermittent in the first place and why it wouldn't power up when I moved the PC breaking the contact.
That's cool though, now I have a much better sound than the built in. I also ordered a TROND USB Audio Adapter, hooked that up to my Windows gamer desktop and again, HUGE difference in sound quality.

The TROND only cost me $11 shipped, (Amazon). If you want better quality sound out of your computer using headphones or external speakers and don't want to spend a ton of money this might work for you.

iu

Last edited:
USB sound devices have a delay in playback, that is not good. I have a Soundblaster Z, which is awesome but my board turned to trash and the new one has the PCIe 1 left to the PCIe 16 where the graphics card is installed. Of course it bars the PCIe 1 slot and I have to use onboard sound :rolleyes-41:

On my Linux desktop I noticed a while back that occasionally the sound would become very tinny with a bad echo. It would go away after a few minutes and was random, ultimately it just didn't go away. Okay, I'm thinking the built in sound card was failing so I ordered an inexpensive but good Sound Blaster PCIe card. When it arrived I plugged it in and huge difference in sound. Since it's in the back of the computer I had also ordered a 3' jack extension, it arrived later that afternoon and when I hooked it up, nothing, no sound. Disconnected it still no sound, turned off the computer took the card out and the computer wouldn't power on.
Great........ Start with the simple, easy checks and yup, the power cord wasn't all the way in, only making partial contact which is why the sound problem was intermittent in the first place and why it wouldn't power up when I moved the PC breaking the contact.
That's cool though, now I have a much better sound than the built in. I also ordered a TROND USB Audio Adapter, hooked that up to my Windows gamer desktop and again, HUGE difference in sound quality.

The TROND only cost me $11 shipped, (Amazon). If you want better quality sound out of your computer using headphones or external speakers and don't want to spend a ton of money this might work for you.

iu
Sometimes when the cellphone gets close to either the computer or headset, you can end up getting interference from it.

USB sound devices have a delay in playback, that is not good. I have a Soundblaster Z, which is awesome but my board turned to trash and the new one has the PCIe 1 left to the PCIe 16 where the graphics card is installed. Of course it bars the PCIe 1 slot and I have to use onboard sound :rolleyes-41:
Not getting any lag with this one.

Forum List

Back