Paying over 2K/month premiums!!

dlee878

Rookie
Nov 2, 2016
I need somewhere to vent and for someone to just listen to me as the Govt. seems like they don't care. I'm a married 43 yr old male in AL with 3 small children and a step-son that is 23. I make over 100K (not much over) so I don't get subsidies. My premiums are over 1,350K per month!! With all the other payments (mortgage, cars, etc) we're barely getting by and paying our bills....barely! I had to kick my 23 year old off my insurance because I couldn't afford one more and he choose not to get insured so he's uninsured now for the first time in his life. Just found out that next year my premiums for the silver plan increase to around $2,400/month. Even the crappy gold plan is around $1,800/month. I can't afford this and my home mortgage too and Obama and his cronies talk about me like "...this only affects a small portion of the population". So, evidently my family doesn't matter!! This is crazy!! Not sure what to do. Depressed about the direction of our country and unsure about my family's future in this society that is hostile to the middle class and to the American Dream. With Hilary's "deplorable" comment I'm feeling more and more as if Democrats just can't stand the middle class. Feel like if she gets elected I don't matter at all in this country.

That's were leftist policies always lead, the few ultra rich and everybody else scraping by. Health insurance was too expensive to begin with because of all the government intervention. More government was not the solution.

You son doesn't have insurance but he can't be denied pre-xisting conditions so he might as well wait until he needs it, if he has no assets to take.

I need somewhere to vent and for someone to just listen to me as the Govt. seems like they don't care. I'm a married 43 yr old male in AL with 3 small children and a step-son that is 23. I make over 100K (not much over) so I don't get subsidies. My premiums are over 1,350K per month!! With all the other payments (mortgage, cars, etc) we're barely getting by and paying our bills....barely! I had to kick my 23 year old off my insurance because I couldn't afford one more and he choose not to get insured so he's uninsured now for the first time in his life. Just found out that next year my premiums for the silver plan increase to around $2,400/month. Even the crappy gold plan is around $1,800/month. I can't afford this and my home mortgage too and Obama and his cronies talk about me like "...this only affects a small portion of the population". So, evidently my family doesn't matter!! This is crazy!! Not sure what to do. Depressed about the direction of our country and unsure about my family's future in this society that is hostile to the middle class and to the American Dream. With Hilary's "deplorable" comment I'm feeling more and more as if Democrats just can't stand the middle class. Feel like if she gets elected I don't matter at all in this country.

Who sold you this policy? Is there only one insurer in your state? If this were any other kind of insurance, wouldn't you shop around to get a better deal?

According to this: Health Insurance Marketplace Calculator

you can get a lower premium, if you're willing to try instead of joining here specifically to whine. (I note this is your very first post on USMB. Coincidence or agenda?)

Last edited:
"Who sold you this policy? Is there only one insurer in your state? If this were any other kind of insurance, wouldn't you shop around to get a better deal?"
Don't you think I would have shopped around when you're talking about that much money? Of course I shopped around!! It's around the same no matter if I go through the national exchange or not. There are three insurers in AL in the individual market place; BCBS, Atnea, and United and the policy I have is bar for the cheapest one. The problem with the Obamacare numbers that they keep throwing around on the news is that they are "per person" not "per family" so you can say $400 isn't that bad but when you have a family of 5 it's devastating!!
FYI - In your calculator you have 2 children, I have 3. When I plug those numbers in it comes to $1,250 in your calculator which is "close" to what I'm paying now which is $1,350. But in 2017 AL is jumping as much as 100% and my prelim caclulations say it will be around $400 per person at a minimum which is 2,000K per month. People aren't lying when they say this is an issue. It just seems that people don't care about this group for some reason. (possibly because they don't normally vote Democrate anyway?) This year I really wanted to vote for someone other than Trump because I think he's pretty sorry. But I need someone to care about the middle class which Obama and Hillary just don't seem to.

"Who sold you this policy? Is there only one insurer in your state? If this were any other kind of insurance, wouldn't you shop around to get a better deal?"
Don't you think I would have shopped around when you're talking about that much money? Of course I shopped around!! It's around the same no matter if I go through the national exchange or not. There are three insurers in AL in the individual market place; BCBS, Atnea, and United and the policy I have is bar for the cheapest one. The problem with the Obamacare numbers that they keep throwing around on the news is that they are "per person" not "per family" so you can say $400 isn't that bad but when you have a family of 5 it's devastating!!
FYI - In your calculator you have 2 children, I have 3. When I plug those numbers in it comes to $1,250 in your calculator which is "close" to what I'm paying now which is $1,350. But in 2017 AL is jumping as much as 100% and my prelim caclulations say it will be around $400 per person at a minimum which is 2,000K per month. People aren't lying when they say this is an issue. It just seems that people don't care about this group for some reason. (possibly because they don't normally vote Democrate anyway?) This year I really wanted to vote for someone other than Trump because I think he's pretty sorry. But I need someone to care about the middle class which Obama and Hillary just don't seem to.

And yet in 30 seconds at the link I gave you, I found you are in fact entitled to a subsidy and your premium would be considerably less. Why do you suppose that is?

You just joined USMB to rant, facts be damned.

I said I make slightly over 100K. I currently make 115K which isn't exactly rolling in the $$ for a family of 6 with a mortgage and car payments. No subsidy!! This is fact!! This is really happening to me and you evidently are just one more person that wants to put your fingers in your ears, hum, and pretend like this isn't really happening to anyone. And you're saying $1,250 is "significantly less" than $1,350? Plus, that site you quoted is just an "estimate" tool for state to state. Your attitude is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the first place. If you find a case that doesn't match the "Obamacare is great" agenda then it's either made up or it's a small portion of the population and what they pay is just the price we have to pay as a society to get everyone covered. So it completely marginalizes me like I do not matter at all to the current administration. That is FACT!!

"and yet in 30 seconds .... I found your entitled to a subsidy"
You invested 30 seconds to try to discount my life. Thanks! Glad I mean that much to you. Appreciate your concern.

You invested 30 seconds to try to discount my life. Thanks! Glad I mean that much to you. Appreciate your concern.

I spent 30 seconds trying to help you save money. You're welcome.

I said I make slightly over 100K. I currently make 115K which isn't exactly rolling in the $$ for a family of 6 with a mortgage and car payments. No subsidy!! This is fact!! This is really happening to me and you evidently are just one more person that wants to put your fingers in your ears, hum, and pretend like this isn't really happening to anyone. And you're saying $1,250 is "significantly less" than $1,350? Plus, that site you quoted is just an "estimate" tool for state to state. Your attitude is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the first place. If you find a case that doesn't match the "Obamacare is great" agenda then it's either made up or it's a small portion of the population and what they pay is just the price we have to pay as a society to get everyone covered. So it completely marginalizes me like I do not matter at all to the current administration. That is FACT!!

I promise you if you click the link (it's to the Kaiser site, not teh Evul Gubmint) you won't get cooties. However, you might learn something, and we can't have that, can we?

Attached is proof that I did click on your link and it's saying exactly what I said it says.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 2.59.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 2.59.31 PM.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 157
The other thing is I did notice that said 2017 which is a load of crock! I've searched around and there is no policy in 2017 that is that low. They must still be using the 2016 prices.

I spent 30 seconds trying to help you save money. You're welcome.

You could of saved his ass a shit load of Money and voted republican

Again even Bill and Obama said basically it is a cluster fuck.

Which we have been telling you partisan hacks for years exactly that

Attached is proof that I did click on your link and it's saying exactly what I said it says.

Your screenshot is incomplete. There's no indication of the numbers you plugged in to get 403% of the poverty line (allowing for number of dependents, age, smokers vs nonsmokers, etc.). So it's not exactly proof.

But if you want to pay more than you need to just to "show Obama," you're free to do so. :dunno:

You could of saved his ass a shit load of Money and voted republican

"Could have." (A) How do you know who I voted for? (B) How much of a difference do you believe my one little vote would have made?

Again even Bill and Obama said basically it is a cluster fuck.

No, they didn't. Try understanding what they actually said.

Well said.

First, my heart goes out to you and your family. Those of us who take responsibility for ourselves by working hard and being independent are Enemies of The Left. Their programs are designed to strip as much of what you produce away you to benefit themselves and their cronies. This is why hiLIARy must be stopped from finishing the job.

... that site you quoted is just an "estimate" tool for state to state. Your attitude is EXACTLY what I was talking about in the first place.

You're correct, it is a tool where you can plug in your specific state and get an estimate. Then, if you're resourceful and care about your family, you will go to the health exchange site for your specific state (assuming your state legislators didn't pout and scream and refuse to participate, in which case you'll have to think long and hard before you reelect them) and get exact quotes from individual insurers...just as you would have done had you gone through a broker prior to passage of the PPACA, but with greater savings.

If your "pride" is more important than getting a better deal, that's on you.

Do you always buy the first car you see at the sticker price, or do you negotiate? Is your family's health more or less important than the car you drive?

Folks, it's really pretty simple...this does not come free.

What most of what is discussed these days is cost shifting.

Overall cost per person is not going down.

The other thing is I did notice that said 2017 which is a load of crock! I've searched around and there is no policy in 2017 that is that low. They must still be using the 2016 prices.

Read this and be happy you make over 100 grand. Lower your living costs.
$8,870 for a family of 3, anything over no medicaid, or if childless adults

also the silver plan is cheaper than the gold and the gold is cheaper than the platinum. At over 100 grand your subsidy would be small but good to be on it in case your situation changes. Then if your income goes down you can get a larger subsidy.

My husband paid 938 in 2013 for just him, 5100 deduct, and copays not included in OOP max (He only has glaucoma and he also had to pay OOP for his eye drops at 80 a month- no other med, no other med history).

I then put him in the marketplace not due to a subsidy but in case his situation changed. He pretty much paid the same the first year.

Don't be angry at the ACA, be mad at the insurance companies. Instead of BCBS now I have him on McLaren HMO. (everyone is in network here and most of MI.)

New Topics

Forum List

Back