Pay College Athletes?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

This debate comes up from time to time, but it seems seriouser this time. Hell, the Supreme Court is looking at it.

The "deal" with scholarship athletes is approximately this: You (the student) get a free education in exchange for playing a [fucking] game for the school. The value of that education can vary quite a bit, depending on the student's effort, capabilities, and the school itself. It can easily be worth fifty thousand dollars per year in after-tax money. Pretty good for a part time job that only lasts a few months of the year. Especially when one considers that most sports generate next-to-zero net income for the school, and most schools lose money overall on athletics.

If they are not satisfied with that deal, they can play their game someplace else, pay for their own college education, or grow up and get a job. The choice is theirs. Nobody is forced to play any college sport.

If the "problem" is that there is no place for the kids to play for money, that is not resolvable by the colleges. That is resolvable by a group of entrepreneurs who might think they can make a buck sponsoring sports teams comprised of talented Yoots who are not yet ready for the NFL or NBA.

I would be very surprised if the USSC, as currently composed, will allow college athletes to commercialize themselves. It would be very stupid.

This debate comes up from time to time, but it seems seriouser this time. Hell, the Supreme Court is looking at it.

The "deal" with scholarship athletes is approximately this: You (the student) get a free education in exchange for playing a [fucking] game for the school. The value of that education can vary quite a bit, depending on the student's effort, capabilities, and the school itself. It can easily be worth fifty thousand dollars per year in after-tax money. Pretty good for a part time job that only lasts a few months of the year. Especially when one considers that most sports generate next-to-zero net income for the school, and most schools lose money overall on athletics.

If they are not satisfied with that deal, they can play their game someplace else, pay for their own college education, or grow up and get a job. The choice is theirs. Nobody is forced to play any college sport.

If the "problem" is that there is no place for the kids to play for money, that is not resolvable by the colleges. That is resolvable by a group of entrepreneurs who might think they can make a buck sponsoring sports teams comprised of talented Yoots who are not yet ready for the NFL or NBA.

I would be very surprised if the USSC, as currently composed, will allow college athletes to commercialize themselves. It would be very stupid.

what?? a 100K in free tuition isnt enough?? maybe they should pay taxs on that,,

They should probably concentrate on playing the game and avoiding legal issues. The fans have watched the games be used for politics and have answered resoundingly by walking away. I love college football, always have but if my team, the Crimson Tide of Alabama, starts allowing players to disrespect the flag or become political mouthpieces for the Left, I'll stop watching INSTANTLY.

It's a little complicated. While most sports may not generate a lot, the NCAA brings in over $1 billion a year. Some schools make over $100 million a year from their sports programs, mostly football and men's basketball. Not only are the athletes not paid by the school (outside of scholarships), I'm pretty sure they are not allowed to make money from the commercialization of their names and images. I've read that the NCAA is going to allow athletes to make money from endorsements, though...that might change the equation.

1619499415295.png

They're free to go pro if the deal of an education if they play on the team isn't good enough for them.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Not everyone at the schools is on a scholarship.

The myth that college sports pay for themselves is hilarious..even more hilarious is that they fund scholastic programs. If that was true, tuition would be free by now considering a school like Ohio State has been around for over 100 years...isn't tuition free at Ohio State?

As for paying athletes...Its one of those things that I'm in favor of on Mondays , Wednesdays and Fridays. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, I'm not in favor of it. On Sundays, I don't think about it.

Lots of good arguments for and lots of good arguments against

Sure, what the hell? All of society and America are crumbling before our feet, why the hell not?

When they allowed gambling on professional sports, that doomed the big sports. . . so if folks haven't gotten the message yet. . . they never will.

Sure, let them pay college athletes. And just let the students gamble on the games while they are there too. . . maybe they can either play to pay off their student debt or if they lose, well, who are we kidding, they'll never pay anyway. .

:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back