Paul Ryan to Tea Party: You are the problem

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2010
I am a God on this message board.
I'm loving it!
4i6Ckte.gif

Today, Paul Ryan gave a fascinating speech at Heritage Action, a tea party-allied organization that has fashioned itself as the guardian of conservative purity. The speech called for unity. “To quote William Wallace in Braveheart,” he said, “we have to unite the clans.”

But his speech was actually a repudiation of everything the tea party has done. Not only that, Ryan also took shots at the congressional Republican leadership, and even the current GOP presidential candidates. He didn’t call anyone out by name, but if you understand what’s happening now and the conflict that has roiled the Republican Party for the last seven years, the critique was hard to miss.

Not surprisingly, for much of the speech he blamed conservatives’ own sins on progressives, Democrats, and Barack Obama. That has become a familiar refrain — It’s their fault that we’ve become such monsters! — but when you say that, you’re still acknowledging that the sins exist. Let’s start here:

“My theory of the case is this: We win when we have an ideas contest. We lose when we have a personality contest. We can’t fall into the progressives’ trap of acting like angry reactionaries. The Left would love nothing more than for a fragmented conservative movement to stand in a circular firing squad, so the progressives can win by default.​

*snip*

It’s hard to tell where Ryan draws the line between real issues and distractions, but every time you define an issue as the latter, you’re telling some major Republican constituency to shut its mouth.

This is perhaps the most critical part of Ryan’s speech:

“And so what I want to say to you today is this: Don’t take the bait. Don’t fight over tactics. And don’t impugn people’s motives. It’s fine if you disagree. And there’s a lot that’s rotten in Washington. There’s no doubt about that. But we can’t let how you vote on an amendment to an appropriations bill define what it means to be a conservative. Because, it’s setting our sights too low. Frankly, that’s letting the president define us. That’s what he wants us to do. That’s defining ourselves as an opposition party, instead of a proposition party.

“So we have to be straight with each other, and more importantly, we have to be straight with the American people. We can’t promise that we can repeal Obamacare when a guy with the last name Obama is president. All that does is set us up for failure . . . and disappointment . . . and recriminations.

“When voices in the conservative movement demand things that they know we can’t achieve with a Democrat in the White House, all that does is depress our base and in turn help Democrats stay in the White House. We can’t do that anymore.”

I'm loving it!
4i6Ckte.gif

Today, Paul Ryan gave a fascinating speech at Heritage Action, a tea party-allied organization that has fashioned itself as the guardian of conservative purity. The speech called for unity. “To quote William Wallace in Braveheart,” he said, “we have to unite the clans.”

But his speech was actually a repudiation of everything the tea party has done. Not only that, Ryan also took shots at the congressional Republican leadership, and even the current GOP presidential candidates. He didn’t call anyone out by name, but if you understand what’s happening now and the conflict that has roiled the Republican Party for the last seven years, the critique was hard to miss.

Not surprisingly, for much of the speech he blamed conservatives’ own sins on progressives, Democrats, and Barack Obama. That has become a familiar refrain — It’s their fault that we’ve become such monsters! — but when you say that, you’re still acknowledging that the sins exist. Let’s start here:

“My theory of the case is this: We win when we have an ideas contest. We lose when we have a personality contest. We can’t fall into the progressives’ trap of acting like angry reactionaries. The Left would love nothing more than for a fragmented conservative movement to stand in a circular firing squad, so the progressives can win by default.​

*snip*

It’s hard to tell where Ryan draws the line between real issues and distractions, but every time you define an issue as the latter, you’re telling some major Republican constituency to shut its mouth.

“And so what I want to say to you today is this: Don’t take the bait. Don’t fight over tactics. And don’t impugn people’s motives. It’s fine if you disagree. And there’s a lot that’s rotten in Washington. There’s no doubt about that. But we can’t let how you vote on an amendment to an appropriations bill define what it means to be a conservative. Because, it’s setting our sights too low. Frankly, that’s letting the president define us. That’s what he wants us to do. That’s defining ourselves as an opposition party, instead of a proposition party.

“So we have to be straight with each other, and more importantly, we have to be straight with the American people. We can’t promise that we can repeal Obamacare when a guy with the last name Obama is president. All that does is set us up for failure . . . and disappointment . . . and recriminations.

“When voices in the conservative movement demand things that they know we can’t achieve with a Democrat in the White House, all that does is depress our base and in turn help Democrats stay in the White House. We can’t do that anymore.”
I agree with some of which he says. But he doesn't do himself any favors by blaming just one segment of the party. He's supposed to be the coach of an existing team and cry "Teamwork" whenever he can. Understanding we have an administration who has got his way by bypassing congress and that is an abject failure of the Republican party, they have to own that. Ryan has to own it and do a Come To Jesus meeting confirming that a house divided will surely fall.

I'm loving it!
4i6Ckte.gif

*snip*

I agree with some of which he says. But he doesn't do himself any favors by blaming just one segment of the party. He's supposed to be the coach of an existing team and cry "Teamwork" whenever he can. Understanding we have an administration who has got his way by bypassing congress and that is an abject failure of the Republican party, they have to own that. Ryan has to own it and do a Come To Jesus meeting confirming that a house divided will surely fall.

The Tea party is very similiar to Democrats when Dems have total control over the government. They are pushy, bossy, ideological driven, and uncompromising.

However, the Tea party never have, nor will they ever, have total control over the government! The tea party does not exist to work with their fellow Republicans. The tea Party exists not to work with anyone.

Good luck with that Teamwork. Kind of hard to accomplish when members of your team want things only their way and refuse to 'compromise' any of their position.

The GOP establishment can kiss our ass, how's that for unity. It is the GOP establishment with the multi-decade track record of FAILURE not the tea party. Let them explain the $18 trillion dollar debt, the raided social security trust fund, the hundreds of thousands of pages of government regulations nightmare, shall I continue Paul Ryan you dipshit?

I'm loving it!
4i6Ckte.gif

*snip*

Paul Ryan hit that one right on the NAIL---100% agreed

tea_party_teenager.jpg

You chased off women in 2012--which secured a 2nd term for Obama
Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History
The GOP's woman problem goes beyond Trump
Why Romney Lost And Republicans Keep Losing

In 2016 it's Hispanics
GOP Win Will Need More Than 40 Percent Of Latino 2016 Vote, Says Study
Poll: 75% of Latinos Have Negative View of Donald Trump
Latino conservatives: If Donald Trump is the nominee, we will not work to elect him

In your efforts to get a non-Establishment candidate you have rino'd yourselves right into a Hillary Clinton Presidency a probable loss of the Senate, and a ton of seats in the house.
hillary-clinton-laughing.jpg

Column: Trump exploits rational political ignorance

Tea-Party-agenda-GOP.jpg

Last edited:
Just another establishment guy trying to explain away their refusal to use every constitutional tool in their bag to keep their promises. Folks are tired of their excuses, they may as well keep them to themselves. This kind of crap just pisses people off more.

I'm loving it!
4i6Ckte.gif

*snip*

Paul Ryan hit that one right on the NAIL---100% agreed

tea_party_teenager.jpg

You chased off women in 2012--which secured a 2nd term for Obama
Gender Gap in 2012 Vote Is Largest in Gallup's History
The GOP's woman problem goes beyond Trump
Why Romney Lost And Republicans Keep Losing

In 2016 it's Hispanics
GOP Win Will Need More Than 40 Percent Of Latino 2016 Vote, Says Study
Poll: 75% of Latinos Have Negative View of Donald Trump
Latino conservatives: If Donald Trump is the nominee, we will not work to elect him

In your efforts to get a non-Establishment candidate you have rino'd yourselves right into a Hillary Clinton Presidency a probable loss of the Senate, and a ton of seats in the house.
hillary-clinton-laughing.jpg

Column: Trump exploits rational political ignorance

Tea-Party-agenda-GOP.jpg

Right, she lost young women to Sanders by a margin of 6/1.

Ryan should ask the tea party on rather you wish to live in a nation that leads the world in dozens of areas from science, education to the military or do you want us to be like somalia??? Because quite frankly defunding, cutting and deinvesting is pure idiocy.

I am not saying to hand out welfare and in fact wish we'd get out of the wars, close the loop holes and be a little smarter in our spending, but something to think about.

The GOP establishment can kiss our ass, how's that for unity. It is the GOP establishment with the multi-decade track record of FAILURE not the tea party. Let them explain the $18 trillion dollar debt, the raided social security trust fund, the hundreds of thousands of pages of government regulations nightmare, shall I continue Paul Ryan you dipshit?

Don't blame you for being sad. You worked really hard to get all those republicans elected, and they refuse to even try to keep their promises. I think they are probably laughing at you for electing them. I would be.

Is this the same guy that you've had as a goober avi for the last year and a half? I thought so. Can't have it both ways, kid.

paul-ryan-did-a-beefcake-photo-shoot-and-its-the--1-16008-1349971706-12_big.jpg
???
Gatsby thinks he has made some profound point.
4i6Ckte.gif

Yes, I'm mocking Ryan in my avatar. Because he was fool enough to pose for a magazine spread in that ridiculous workout getup, pumping iron with earbuds in his skull.

What does that have to do with his critique of low information voters (i.e. teabaggers) who are so retarded that they don't know that Republican politicians have been lying to them every day for the past 7 years?

Gatsby is one of those retarded, low information voters.

Is this the same guy that you've had as a goober avi for the last year and a half? I thought so. Can't have it both ways, kid.

paul-ryan-did-a-beefcake-photo-shoot-and-its-the--1-16008-1349971706-12_big.jpg

Is this actual picture of Paul Ryan or is it photo-shop?
^^^ See? Low information. Political novice.

Yes, of course it's real. Ryan's ego is responsible for this.

When he was touted as one of the ultra-conservative "Young Guns", with Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy, the supposedly "Liberal Media" slobbered all over them. The angle on Ryan was that he was a workout freak, so when GQ, or Vanity Fair, or Esquire, or whoever the fuck wanted to do a big story on him and his workout regimen he was all for it. This was the result.

Paul Ryan: All Pumped Up for His Closeup

New Topics

Forum List

Back