Paul Krugman "hits the nail on the head" in re: Obamacare

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Krugman is a very wise man:

Unacceptable Realities

(snip)
The hysteria over Obamacare is being well documented, of course; Sahil Kapur’s piece on “Obamacare McCarthyism” — the instant purging of any Republican who offers any hint of accommodation to the law of the land — is getting a lot of well-deserved attention. One thing Kapur doesn’t emphasize, however, is what I see a lot in my inbox (and in my reading): the furious insistence that nothing resembling a government guarantee of health insurance can possibly work.

That’s a curious belief to hold, given the fact that every other advanced country has such a guarantee, and that we ourselves have a 45-year-old single-payer system for seniors that has worked pretty well all this time. But nothing makes these people as angry as the suggestion that Obamacare might actually prove workable.

Krugman is a puffed up ass hat who sits in his ivory tower pontificating what should be, yet has never produced a working model of anything he has advanced over the years, hence he is a hero of the political left. His head is what's been hit, several times I'm guessing.

I want single-payer like Israel has anyway.

Unacceptable Realities
That’s a curious belief to hold, given the fact that every other advanced country has such a guarantee, and that we ourselves have a 45-year-old single-payer system for seniors that has worked pretty well all this time. But nothing makes these people as angry as the suggestion that Obamacare might actually prove workable.

Last edited:

Unacceptable Realities
Move to Israel. Problem solved.

Take Krugman with you. He's Jewish and should fit right in. One of America's problems solved.

Last edited:
The airlines are living for the day when single payer comes to America. They'll clean up on taking medical tourists to places like Singapore and India where the waiting lists won't be months long.

Doubt it? Think about how the U.S. deficit could be trimmed just by implementing a "medical tourism tax" on Canadians crossing the border for timely care.

Krugman is a very wise man:

Unacceptable Realities

(snip)
The hysteria over Obamacare is being well documented, of course; Sahil Kapur’s piece on “Obamacare McCarthyism” — the instant purging of any Republican who offers any hint of accommodation to the law of the land — is getting a lot of well-deserved attention. One thing Kapur doesn’t emphasize, however, is what I see a lot in my inbox (and in my reading): the furious insistence that nothing resembling a government guarantee of health insurance can possibly work.

HEre's non ad-hominem.

The argument from a lot of us that don't support socialized health care isn't that a government guarantee can't exist. What sorta silly shit would that be? ANy guarantee can exist.

Vote me into office right now, I'll guarantee three super models for each male American citizen to use as they please. I won't be able to come up with nearly that many (or any), but fuck me if I can't make you a guarantee here and now.

Guarantees don't mean shit. You can't legislate your way past shortages. Nobody's saying the government is unable to guarantee anything. . . you ever watch an election? They guarantee shit all the time. What I'm saying (I won't speak for anyone else) is that shit happens whether the individual is in charge or society is in charge. Personally, I prefer the former to the latter. I'd rather it be decided on -my- actions and -my- ability whether or not I'm able to achieve health care. I don't want society in charge of my medical fate. Period.

The conservative complaints about Obamacare reminds me of the complaints about the weather we're having in my area, lots of complains about it, but no one is going to do anything. Repeal of the law is out of the question. The law will be fully implemented before there will be any real chance of repealing it. What would be required is not just a repeal of the law but a law that transitions from Obamacare to something yet undefined. It took Democrats nearly two years to pass the law and they had full control of government.

Last edited:
The airlines are living for the day when single payer comes to America. They'll clean up on taking medical tourists to places like Singapore and India where the waiting lists won't be months long.

Doubt it? Think about how the U.S. deficit could be trimmed just by implementing a "medical tourism tax" on Canadians crossing the border for timely care.

we currently have a lot of sedate-lifestyle/obese people. ACA addresses that to an extent w/ preventative care. Business as usual medicine only addressed the issues AFTER they occurred so as to make the most $$$ for the hospital industrial complex.

WTF. Obama just changes anything he doesn't like about the law

Who stopped him?

Name a single Republican who prevented Obama from making any of the changes he's made to ObamaCAre

The conservative complaints about Obamacare reminds me of the complaints about the weather we're having in my area, lots of complains about it, but no one is going to do anything. Repeal of the law is out of question. The law will be fully implemented before there will be any real chance of repealing it. What would be required is not just a repeal of the law but a law that transitions from Obamacare to something yet undefined. It took Democrats nearly two years to pass the law and they had full control of government.

Add to that the fact that the Dems have been trying to address the problems of the for-profit medical industrial complex for 50+ years. Repubs act surprised that the dems did something when they had the chance :rolleyes:

You can also add a Repub President to the list who wanted universal HC- Nixon(R) in addition to these three Presidents:

luko.jpg

Last edited:

Unacceptable Realities

And like Israel, would you also support and partake in the mandatory draft into the military? Men serve three years and women two to three years.

The population of Israel is < 9 million.

USA population: > 317 million. Not counting illegal immigrants.

Even the unemployed have to pay for their health insurance.
No Medicaid in Israel!

Paul Krugman...intellectual, my ass.

What is so good is that the GOP won't need to do anything about it. It is repealing itself.

Now, that's a law I can get behind. :laugh2:

Unacceptable Realities
That&#8217;s a curious belief to hold, given the fact that every other advanced country has such a guarantee, and that we ourselves have a 45-year-old single-payer system for seniors that has worked pretty well all this time. But nothing makes these people as angry as the suggestion that Obamacare might actually prove workable.

And like Israel, would you also support and partake in the mandatory draft into the military? Men serve three years and women two to three years.

The population of Israel is < 9 million.

USA population: > 317 million. Not counting illegal immigrants.

Even the unemployed have to pay for their health insurance.
No Medicaid in Israel!

I was for conscription during Iraq (second longest war in American history after Afghanistan?). I did 4 yrs active duty in the 80's. I don't regret it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back