Paul Drops Out; Cruz Will Strengthen

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
Cruz is the second selection for so many people, and among libertarians that supported Paul, Cruz was the second choice for most of them.

This will add a good chunk of votes (about 4%) to Cruz's tally nationwide, especially in the South, where it might be closer to 6%.

It will very likely strengthen Cruz, since it's hard to imagine a lot of people who would support Paul going to Rubio. I could maybe see some of them going to Trump.

Interestingly, even though Cruz won the Iowa Caucus, it's Rubio whose performance there has caused him to surge at ElectionBettingOdds.com. They've had Trump with the highest percentage for winning the primary by a large margin up until yesterday, and Hillary with 50% or more odds of winning the Presidency . . . until today. They now have Rubio at 56.2% for the primary, and 24.1% for the election, and Hillary has dropped to 49.5%.

Cruz's odds have risen, although not meteorically as Rubio's have, and Trump is deflating fast. It will be fascinating to watch what happens next.

It will very likely strengthen Cruz, since it's hard to imagine a lot of people who would support Paul going to Rubio. I could maybe see some of them going to Trump.

Interestingly, even though Cruz won the Iowa Caucus, it's Rubio whose performance there has caused him to surge at ElectionBettingOdds.com. They've had Trump with the highest percentage for winning the primary by a large margin up until yesterday, and Hillary with 50% or more odds of winning the Presidency . . . until today. They now have Rubio at 56.2% for the primary, and 24.1% for the election, and Hillary has dropped to 49.5%.

Cruz's odds have risen, although not meteorically as Rubio's have, and Trump is deflating fast. It will be fascinating to watch what happens next.

Paul has shown time and time again he is part of the establishment especially in dealings with the Dems, so his supporters going over to Rubio wouldn't be far fetched.

Paul has shown time and time again he is part of the establishment especially in dealings with the Dems, so his supporters going over to Rubio wouldn't be far fetched.

Yes, but THEY don't see him, or themselves, that way, and perception is everything.

Yes, but THEY don't see him, or themselves, that way, and perception is everything.

True and you could be correct, but I don't so because there is also a "crazy" factor involved IMO and many of Paul's supporters seem to be of the mindset that Trump and Cruz are nutjobs. I still see them going to Rubio, but only time will tell.

True and you could be correct, but I don't so because there is also a "crazy" factor involved IMO and many of Paul's supporters seem to be of the mindset that Trump and Cruz are nutjobs. I still see them going to Rubio, but only time will tell.

Not sure how much Paul's supporters are affected by the images projected by the media, given that they are Paul supporters. Also, given that they are Paul supporters, they have a tendency toward the guy painted by the MSM as a nutjob.

The guy painted as the establishment tool, on the other hand, is going to have an automatic black mark against him.

After what Cruz did in Iowa, the jerk is out...hoping so anyway.
Which one?
Which what? lol Cruz cheating or who is out..?
I know Cruz won't be out, but he is the one I would like to see out .

He has shown that he can look at you smiling while stabbing you in the back..

Actually Cruz is the smartest of the bunch, but he has a sorta costic personality. Rubio and Rand are my favorites.
You really can't say Cruz back stabs people. He's pretty up front on his ideas, ie ethanol.

I don't see Rand Paul 'Libertarians' going anywhere near the radical Right Wing Bible Thumper Cruz. The differences in how a Libertarian sees the world compared to someone like Cruz are light years apart.
Those Libertarians who are still interested in voting, who didn't just say "FUCK IT! my candidate quit and I'm spending the bus money to go vote on a blunt and a bag of red liquorice instead" are much more tuned into the "FUCK ALL OF YOU!" message Trump is sending.
Trump will get most of the Libertarian vote intended for Paul.
As more candidates drop out their supporters will be told: "Some of you might have to hold your noses but you all have to turn out and deny the fucking Clintons from getting back into the White house, which will give Obama a third term, whoever our nominee is!".

Which one?

Actually Cruz is the smartest of the bunch, but he has a sorta costic personality. Rubio and Rand are my favorites.
You really can't say Cruz back stabs people. He's pretty up front on his ideas, ie ethanol.

Cruz and Carson were friends who had dinner several times together..Cruz threw Carson under the bus and said sorry when it was too late..Cruz is very smart but I feel he is using his knowledge to be an ass legally.
I saw Rand on a talk show, I actually started to like him. I also like that he tried to stop the hands getting into our social security cookie jar.

Which one?

Cruz and Carson were friends who had dinner several times together..Cruz threw Carson under the bus and said sorry when it was too late..Cruz is very smart but I feel he is using his knowledge to be an ass legally.
I saw Rand on a talk show, I actually started to like him. I also like that he tried to stop the hands getting into our social security cookie jar.

I remember when Kemp, Roth tried to get SS off budget but Jimmy Carter scared seniors to death with that idea.
If only in 74 they would have gone that route. SS would be safe and our country more fiscally responsible.

Which one?

Cruz has a caustic personality? Compared to whom?

Yeah, he pisses off his fellow GOP Senators, but I rather thought that was what he was sent to Washington to do. Anyone else remember the whole "Tea Party Revolution" thing two years ago? Anyone? Bueller?

By all accounts - other than people who are currently trying to derail his campaign - he's rather pleasant in person.

Which one?

I remember when Kemp, Roth tried to get SS off budget but Jimmy Carter scared seniors to death with that idea.
If only in 74 they would have gone that route. SS would be safe and our country more fiscally responsible.
It is like raiding my children's bank account while they were sleeping..

Have you seen this?

Satan...
:biggrin:

upload_2016-2-3_8-28-53.jpeg

Which one?

Yeah, he pisses off his fellow GOP Senators, but I rather thought that was what he was sent to Washington to do. Anyone else remember the whole "Tea Party Revolution" thing two years ago? Anyone? Bueller?

By all accounts - other than people who are currently trying to derail his campaign - he's rather pleasant in person.
I really have nothing against him. He's just not my favorite.
Have you seen that video of him taking that ethanol farmer apart in Iowa. Priceless.

Which one?

Yeah, because I'm completely sure that in all the frenetic activity of Caucus day, Ted Cruz had time to personally monitor CNN's newsfeeds and personally order someone to "misrepresent" one about Carson.

Because that makes LOTS more sense than that it was a mistake by an overeager staffer who should have known better. Or even that it was a deliberate misrepresentation on the part of an overeager staffer who should have known better.

Couldn't tell you, because so far, I haven't been able to find any info about what CNN actually, originally said. Anyone?

Meanwhile, I for one tend to prefer resisting the urge to leap on every single overdramatized campaign trail screw-up that the MSM wants to paint in the most sinister tones possible, until such time as more evidence becomes available.

New Topics

Forum List

Back