What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Patriotism

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Reaction score
It is no accident that Trump speaks of “America” and not “USA.” The term “USA” or “US American” denotes nationality and thus membership in the global family of nations. On the other hand, “America” is an appeal to the substantial portion of the population who don’t just think that the United States is unique (as famously noted by Alexis de Tocqueville), but who hold that American ideals are the acme of political development and the God-given perfection of society. This utopian belief in exceptionalism makes people vulnerable to a narrative in which the perfection must be protected from nefarious outside forces. Thus, ironically, exceptionalism breeds conventional compliance to authority.

Curried Goats

Gold Member
Reaction score
Good. That is real love.
Love is subjective which means you aren't the arbiter of what is and isn't love. When you understand what that means maybe you'll stop sounding like an idiot.
America is real. People who love something, generally don't deny it's existence. You might want to remember that, the next time you try to convince someone that you are Patriotic.
Lol. Calling America an imaginary construct is accurate. It's simply another term you don't know the meaning of. It being an imaginary construct does not in anyway mean that it does not exist as a legal fiction and a philosophical ideal.
Independent contractors depend on contracts. If someone was going around and talking shit to clients that you were a bad contractor, you would be "amused"?

That is not very credible.
I would be and so would my clients. I've had their contact going on 12 years now, I work with them directly and they love the work I do. When you have confidence the opinions of nobody's and fuckwads won't bother you.

Correll

Diamond Member
Reaction score

Correll

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Love is subjective which means you aren't the arbiter of what is and isn't love. When you understand what that means maybe you'll stop sounding like an idiot.

I know plenty about Love. I can certainly see that the actions you describe, ie hearing someone talk shit about something you love and having a strong, negative, emotional reaction to that, is love.

I am glad for you, that you have love in your life. I hope that that is not the only example.

Lol. Calling America an imaginary construct is accurate. It's simply another term you don't know the meaning of. It being an imaginary construct does not in anyway mean that it does not exist as a legal fiction and a philosophical ideal.

I have very rarely seen or heard people talking about something they love, that is not "real" and making the point that it is not real, but they do so, grudgingly, and emphasizing that they still really, really care.

NONE of those people, would be "amused" to hear someone talk shit about the "not real" things they love.

I would be and so would my clients. I've had their contact going on 12 years now, I work with them directly and they love the work I do. When you have confidence the opinions of nobody's and fuckwads won't bother you.

Good for you. But, in the real point we were discussing, the anti-American lies that people are spreading, have been and are hurting US. America is NOT in a position to just shrug it off, like you are.

People are being hurt. America is being hurt. American Patriotism is being undermined.

Your claim of loving America, does not match your actions.

Curried Goats

Gold Member
Reaction score
I know plenty about Love. I can certainly see that the actions you describe, ie hearing someone talk shit about something you love and having a strong, negative, emotional reaction to that, is love.
What I'm questioning is whether you know anything about subjectivity and what it implies for your insistence that love exists only how you say it does.
I am glad for you, that you have love in your life. I hope that that is not the only example.
Lol. No. I have a rather large family.
I have very rarely seen or heard people talking about something they love, that is not "real" and making the point that it is not real, but they do so, grudgingly, and emphasizing that they still really, really care.
If you disagree with the statement that "America is an imaginary construct and thus has no feelings" then present an argument that isn't an appeal to emotion, i.e. if you really loved America you wouldn't so and so...

Can you even point to anything factually wrong with my statement?
NONE of those people, would be "amused" to hear someone talk shit about the "not real" things they love.
None of those people are me and so their opinions have no significance to my own.
Good for you. But, in the real point we were discussing, the anti-American lies that people are spreading, have been and are hurting US. America is NOT in a position to just shrug it off, like you are.
Name one. It's not a real point until you have a real example.
People are being hurt. America is being hurt. American Patriotism is being undermined.
Welcome to Democracy Nancy boy. In this country we have a right to undermine our politicians. It's the first frigging Amendment for fucks sake.
Your claim of loving America, does not match your actions.
Your claim of rational thought is sus.

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$120.00
Goal
$350.00

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List