Patent Bill Passed

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
ALEXANDRIA, Virginia — President Barack Obama signed into law Friday a major overhaul of the U.S. patent system, a measure designed to ease the way for inventors to bring their products to market. “We can’t afford to drag our feet any longer,” the president said.

Passed in a rare display of congressional bipartisanship, the America Invents Act is the first significant change in patent law since 1952. It has been hailed as a milestone that would spur innovation and create jobs.

The bill is meant to ensure that the patent office, now facing a backlog of 1.2 million pending patents, has the money to expedite the application process. It now takes an average of three years to get a patent approved. More than 700,000 applications have yet to be reviewed.

“Somewhere in that stack of applications could be the next technological breakthrough, the next miracle drug,” Obama said. “We should be making it easier and faster to turn new ideas into jobs.”

"Rare display of congressional bipartisanship" - if that sentiment doesn't get old, I don't know what does.

Obama signs first major patent law overhaul since 1952 - Lake County News-Sun

Bipartisan. so what did they just do to screw us?

Processing patents faster is a no-brainer. To go thru the endless process to get a patent that actually leads to more legal issues than actual money needs to be expedited.

If you patent a better mousetrap, and patent it, its tough to make any money off it. So no one was screwed except the idiots trying to get something patented.

ALEXANDRIA, Virginia — President Barack Obama signed into law Friday a major overhaul of the U.S. patent system, a measure designed to ease the way for inventors to bring their products to market. “We can’t afford to drag our feet any longer,” the president said.

Passed in a rare display of congressional bipartisanship, the America Invents Act is the first significant change in patent law since 1952. It has been hailed as a milestone that would spur innovation and create jobs.

The bill is meant to ensure that the patent office, now facing a backlog of 1.2 million pending patents, has the money to expedite the application process. It now takes an average of three years to get a patent approved. More than 700,000 applications have yet to be reviewed.

“Somewhere in that stack of applications could be the next technological breakthrough, the next miracle drug,” Obama said. “We should be making it easier and faster to turn new ideas into jobs.”
"Rare display of congressional bipartisanship" - if that sentiment doesn't get old, I don't know what does.

They all get together and agree to pass a law that looks good and accomplishes nothing. Then Obama gets up and claims credit for making everything wonderful, while, in the real world, it makes things worse by making it easier to sue the real innovators by filing a patent that vaguely describes something.

This is why I sneer at the calls for more bipartisan cooperation.

Basically.

The first to file provision puts all the control in the hands of the corporations with a bunch of lawyers, and takes it out of the hands of the guys who actually come up with the ideas.

Processing patents faster is a no-brainer. To go thru the endless process to get a patent that actually leads to more legal issues than actual money needs to be expedited.

If you patent a better mousetrap, and patent it, its tough to make any money off it. So no one was screwed except the idiots trying to get something patented.

And everyone that benefits from those "idiots" and their ideas.

This is a good move. I had a friend some years back that invented a personal pleasure device for women that was found to have positive health effects that got tied up in the patent process. He made the mistake of shopping it around before his patent was approved and is now wrapped up in a lawsuit over theft.

Washington needs to trim all the red tape and over burdening regulations that are killing business. This is a step in the right direction.

I invented, patented, and brought to market a product that makes me alot of money.

New Topics

Forum List

Back