Pat Robertson......Divorce is okay!

I prefer to wonder about the intellect of anyone who can't differentiate between an individual and a group. But that's just me.

I imagine is must be very difficult to deal with someone you love who has advanced Alzheimers, particularly if your partner no longer even knows who you are.

Now imagine that you're still healthy, still mentally alert and still ready for life, but your former loved one is no longer even there mentally.

Think about spending the last couple decades of your life married to somebody who is drooling, in a constant state of confusion and anxiety, and completely unmanagable. The person still looks like somebody you once loved, but that person really no longer exists.

Is divorce under those circumstances really such a bad thing?

People divorce for far less significant reasons than that, don't they?

Marriage obviously means far less to many than it seems it does to a few of us. I don't know if I could handle being rejected or if I am capable of rejecting accordingly to some of the most difficult situations but I would hope to know that the marriage would be sustainable throughout whatever comes about. It's like genetic infusion, inseparable by mere man.

I imagine is must be very difficult to deal with someone you love who has advanced Alzheimers, particularly if your partner no longer even knows who you are.

Now imagine that you're still healthy, still mentally alert and still ready for life, but your former loved one is no longer even there mentally.

Think about spending the last couple decades of your life married to somebody who is drooling, in a constant state of confusion and anxiety, and completely unmanagable. The person still looks like somebody you once loved, but that person really no longer exists.

So that whole "till death do us part" is crap? Its "till death do us part as long as you are healthy"?

What disease is ok for divorce in your little world? Alzheimer's? An amputation? A bad cold? What?

Perhaps we should have a "Define Christian" thread, just so certain expectations and such could be made clear and concise.

So that whole "till death do us part" is crap? Its "till death do us part as long as you are healthy"?

What disease is ok for divorce in your little world? Alzheimer's? An amputation? A bad cold? What?

I don't live in a little world. Dona.

I live in the same world you live in.

A world where people get divorced for all sorts of reasons, many of them far less disruptive than something like advanced Alzhiemers.

Now imagine that you are now married to somebody who is no longer there as a person, and whose body is now warehoused in long term treatment facility.

That person to whom you were married is gone and has been gone for a long long time.

You are say, in your early 60s, and after years of being alone (because your spouse hasn't even recognized you in years), you find somebody with whom you want to share your remaining years with.

Are you EVIL if you choose to share your life with that person?

I don't think you are.

Obviously you disagree.

That's fine with me.

Last edited:

A world where people get divorced for all sorts of reasons, many of them far less disruptive than something like advanced Alzhiemers.

Now imagine that you are now married to somebody who is no longer there as a person, and whose body is now warehoused in long term treatment facility.

That person to whom you were married is gone and has been gone for a long long time.

You are say, in your early 60s, and after years of being alone (because your spouse hasn't even recognized you in years), you find somebody with whom you want to share your remaining years with.

I don't think you are.

Obviously you disagree.

That's fine with me.

I agree with you to a point. I have watched some very difficult marriages go from bad to worse and we were given the ability to divorce BECAUSE of the bitterness from within our hearts... Can a woman divorce a man? Well, it is America. Obviously the laws of the land preserves and protects us in such a way that we have the liberties that we do. Consequences? Um, well, for eyes that see, THAT is too complex to discuss here and I'm not even one that sees everything as is.

I personally have a higher standard and expectation for myself, no, I don't uphold the "not eating catfish" laws of some accomplished ones, but I aim to go further... in time.

From many marriages I have come to know, as well, when one partner dies the other partner does to, even if on many psychological levels that make up and clothes cover. In my family the women live well beyond their husbands, but then I haven't had much exposure to anything else. With the exception of my grandmother and her sister were raised by their father as their mothers had passed early in life.

Ya gotta wonder about the Christian right these days........

Pat Robertson: Alzheimer's Makes Divorce OK - ABC News

Oooohhhhh I gotcha this time.... ABikerSailor is apparently posting a blind spot to the power of Christianity (not to be confused with the hottie chick teacher, of course). The psychological movements at work are not at all discrediting anything biblical, it rather, instead, seems to be proving them.

:evil:

I'm just wondering why a supposed leader of the Christian community states it's okay to divorce someone (and uses the most bullshit rationalizations), yet most of the Christian community doesn't even squeak once about this.

I suppose you guys think the Westboro Baptist church is okay as well?

I'm just wondering why a supposed leader of the Christian community states it's okay to divorce someone (and uses the most bullshit rationalizations), yet most of the Christian community doesn't even squeak once about this.

What I have learned as a Christian is that we are forever in training for the higher things of a spiritual nature. It isn't an option unless we choose to NOT be Christian. We cannot necessarily look to our brethren for guidance, either, as sometimes that proves fleshly reasoning. However, if we never look toward our brethren we are not able to help when we could. It isn't mean to be comfortable... we can make ourselves comfortable, which itsn't wrong, but we must not make ourselves so comfortable that we do not grow spiritually.

Is there ever an option against the public sorceries, sources, sour series, etc., that we so choose to be selective of? It SHOULD be up to the individual, always.

I don't think you are.

Obviously you disagree.

That's fine with me.

Having just lost a parent to that disease, I can see your point.

My father stood by my mother until she died. Because of the disease, she suddenly forgot the years of acrimony and hatred. He was her new BFF. She wouldn't go to bed until she got her goodnight kiss and hug.

My dad didn't know how to handle it. She hadn't been that nice to him since they were courting.

Sad, really.

I don't think you are.

Obviously you disagree.

That's fine with me.

Having just lost a parent to that disease, I can see your point.

My father stood by my mother until she died. Because of the disease, she suddenly forgot the years of acrimony and hatred. He was her new BFF. She wouldn't go to bed until she got her goodnight kiss and hug.

My dad didn't know how to handle it. She hadn't been that nice to him since they were courting.

Sad, really.

Perhaps so few understand what a little dab of salve can do to a ravaged heart.

I think He is wrong to make excuses. The matter is a Personal decision, that Anyone involved should come to terms with, before acting. Either way one chooses, make peace with it.

As far a Pat is concerned, he is entitled to his opinion, I don't share it.

Forum List

Back