Passing on garden skills to the grandchildren

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
For my health reasons and theirs I have been training the grandchildren on the joys and rewards of gardening.
It is all going very well. They just want it to grow NOW :)

We just planted Zuchini, 2 types of lettuce and corn and beans. Alteady have beans, lettuce, radishes, oniions, and potatoes up.

Gardening is good therapy and good food. I will teach them later about freezing and canning. and about safe and reasonable use of pesticide.

They love the old troy built tiller and the little Mantis thing.

Last edited:
It is one of my favorite things to do.

Nothing like it to teach you patience and a love of nature.

One of my fondest memories is planting a wildflower garden in a little patch between two apartment houses, with my ex's boys. We had a patch of flowers for two years, it was wonderful. And they were great about watering them and staying off them until they grew.

Unfortunately, Mylo the Plant Slayer sort of makes it difficult to grow anything outside. If she sees you digging, she digs too. If she sees you using a garden tool, she takes it from you. And then there's the incessent and insane running back and forth.

But I have lots of very fond memories which include Mylo, too.
Like when she nipped my granddaughter. Whoops, no.

Ok, when she almost ruined our vacation last year....crud.

When she attacked the dog of the old tottery man walking by and he had to kick her away? Nope...

When she rolled out onto a skunk and got the entire household thoroughly sprayed...

Well crap. I guess I don't have fond memories of Mylo.

Ever consider a countertop hydroponic unit?

hydro-kitchen-garden-picture.jpg

Sure beats dried herbs!

I have extremely limited countertop space. Ridiculously limited. My one houseplant is aloe vera, and it's on my portable dishwasher.

I got the gardening bug a few years back right after I bought my house.

My family never did much with gardening, or the yard for that matter lol, so I rather started from scratch.

Every year I do pumpkins with varying degrees of success.

I agree, its therapeutic, good for your neighborhood, and good for your health. Digging is quite the work out!

I'd be outside now if not for this darn ACL surgery lol

I'm thinking very hard about it. I've been participating in this group whose focus is to bring together agricultural/local/vendor resources to increase food accessibility and market viability in our tiny communities. It's really gotten me interested in having a little garden, working next to people who do that.
But I'm also interested in making quilts, horses, crocheting, sewing, rug making...I'd like to spin my own thread...and I just have to realize THERE AREN'T ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY. I can't be a pioneer woman, as much as I'd enjoy it.

My son is coming home, though. I bet I could get him and his wife to dig me up a little garden plot. After they move my living room furniture around, haul the old furniture to the dump, mow the lawn, fix the fence, condition the horses.....

Forum List

Back