Parents dont discipline their children

In my experience, discipline of children takes years to sink in. Some don't understand the efforts of the parent until they are grown and start raising their own children.
This one third your article talks about is a problem. Short sited defeatists...probably liberals.

One of the major reasons I don't enjoy going out to restaurants anymore, is bad behaving children. Parents letting them run around with NO CONTROL, and worst, they think its cute.

Let me put them wise, it ain't CUTE, its rude, and bothersome.

And this type of behavior happens EVERYWHERE in public, grocery stores, department stores, at malls, upscale restaurants.

I have seven grandchildren, they know how to behave in public.

Worst yet, the parent that has let the child run amok for twenty minutes, and the moment it shows back up to the parents side acting out, that parent beats the living shit out of it, another good reason to issue "parent license".

After reading the article I think your title is a little misleading. The 1/3 of parents said they didnt think their type of discipline worked not that they were not disciplining their children.

I have 4 children and each one of them handles discipline differently, so my wife and I have to change how we correct each of our children. Where one will respond to a stern word another only responds to time-out. Everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you and your children..

Bottom line is if we are going to have children then we need to teach them, and the key word is teaching them through doing it over and over how to behave. Also one simple way of dealing with over active children is the diet---->less sugar makes a big difference. And lastly you can't be a parent and a friend because you'll end up on the short end of the stick. That is a fact kids are selfish and want is now and you have to make a stand. And yes each child will respond to disipline in different manners and digest it differently but parent have to make efforts. I can say being a step-father has had it's fair amount of curve balls. I guess the generations from the 50~70's have been beaten and treated really bad because kids today are out of frigging control.

lots of advice on how to raise kids, but given the behaviour here my guess is it is a lot of do as i say not as i do.....

lots of advice on how to raise kids, but given the behaviour here my guess is it is a lot of do as i say not as i do.....

That sounds right to me! LOL! I wonder if eots has children?

About one in three parents in the United States and Canada do not think their methods of disciplining their children work well,

Probably because these parents don't know how to parent. They haven't taken the time to figure out what methods work or are effective. Some are too busy or don't care. Some don't discipline because they feel guilt for not spending enough 'quality time' because they are too busy making money to keep up with the Jones. Others like to put their kids on a pedestal and of course their kid can do no wrong and nobody dare say otherwise. Or there are some who want to be their kid's protector, shielding them from any type of hurt, disappointment or any negative feelings...including not discipling them effectively.

Any of these scenarios results into unruly, disruptive spoiled brats who lack social skills. Typically what we see is that instead of the parent accepting this because they will then have to admit they have bad parenting skills, they back up their kids and let them continue this behaviour.

Plus, a lot of the punishments are time-outs, being grounded or sent to your room ...where they have a TV, stereo, computer with internet connection, phone, etc...what kind of punishment is that?

Probably because these parents don't know how to parent. They haven't taken the time to figure out what methods work or are effective. Some are too busy or don't care. Some don't discipline because they feel guilt for not spending enough 'quality time' because they are too busy making money to keep up with the Jones. Others like to put their kids on a pedestal and of course their kid can do no wrong and nobody dare say otherwise. Or there are some who want to be their kid's protector, shielding them from any type of hurt, disappointment or any negative feelings...including not discipling them effectively.

Any of these scenarios results into unruly, disruptive spoiled brats who lack social skills. Typically what we see is that instead of the parent accepting this because they will then have to admit they have bad parenting skills, they back up their kids and let them continue this behaviour.

Plus, a lot of the punishments are time-outs, being grounded or sent to your room ...where they have a TV, stereo, computer with internet connection, phone, etc...what kind of punishment is that?

Seems to me, that basically what your saying is parents are too busy worrying about themselves and what their kids will feel about them then they are about their kids.

That sounds right to me! LOL! I wonder if eots has children?

I have four beautiful children , three sons and a daughter the oldest is 19 son, 16 daughter , 10 son ad 18 months son, all very well behaved .we made it through the teen years with the first two almost without any problems or dramas to speak of there was never any physical discipline, in fact discipline was mainly expressing that something was not acceptable and the reasons why
and when possible offer a compromise or alternative

Key element when raising children is uncertainty.
The world is not a logical place, rarely rational and often full of surprices. This is what you need to teach your kids. Try to eliminate all unrealistic consistency from their upbringing.

Inroduce rules as you go along. Then suddenly change them and enforce a retroactive punishment. (Usually they look very funny too, - surprice!).
Tell them a relative is dead or something when they ask. This will harden them when the time comes.
Let them eat candy on a weekday. But not the next. Serve dinner at different times every day. Suff like that.

Forum List

Back