Paramount + Halo: 1st Episode... meh

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Finally... here.
I lowered my expectations for this show. And I am glad I did. Otherwise I would have been really disappointed rather than just regular disappointed.

The Pros - the covenant aliens are done surprisingly well. The special effects is not too bad - except for when master Chief and other Spartans jump... it looks very fake.
The Cons - the acting is atrocious. Especially the Indian woman playing the Admiral. Did they recruit her from a small town theater somewhere? I would say about 8 out of 10 actors simply can't act. And it is bad enough to distract you from the story line, which is also not awesome (so far).

Hoping it get's better, but how bad the acting is - I am doubting this show is going to make it

Finally... here.
I lowered my expectations for this show. And I am glad I did. Otherwise I would have been really disappointed rather than just regular disappointed.

The Pros - the covenant aliens are done surprisingly well. The special effects is not too bad - except for when master Chief and other Spartans jump... it looks very fake.
The Cons - the acting is atrocious. Especially the Indian woman playing the Admiral. Did they recruit her from a small town theater somewhere? I would say about 8 out of 10 actors simply can't act. And it is bad enough to distract you from the story line, which is also not awesome (so far).

Hoping it get's better, but how bad the acting is - I am doubting this show is going to make it
Halo had a massive budget which created massive hype for the series. In any movie or series there has to a lot coordination's between the director, actors and the producer to realize the vision of the creators. I don't think this happened in this series.

Actors often get the blame for crappy productions, but they are unusually not at fault It is the director who is responsible for the script and the actors performance that is needed to tell the story. Actors are hired to perform in certain scenes. They learn their lines but is the director that sees the lines and actions tells the story he wants told. The lack of good direction is the the reason most productions fail. However, directors are often ham stung by inadequate budgets, actor contract clauses, miscasting, requirements of backers, and deadlines.

Last edited:
Halo had a massive budget which created massive hype for the series. In any movie or series there has to a lot coordination's between the director, actors and the producer to realize the vision of the creators. I don't think this happened in this series.

Actors often get the blame for crappy productions, but they are unusually not at fault It is the director who is responsible for the script and the actors performance that is needed to tell the story. Actors are hired to perform in certain scenes. They learn their lines but is the director that sees the lines and actions tells the story he wants told. The lack of good direction is the the reason most productions fail. However, directors are often ham stung by inadequate budgets, actor contract clauses, miscasting, requirements of backers, and deadlines.

You may be right, reading up on this, there is something quite odd.
The Director is a relatively inexperienced British Director/Producer who, besides Peaky Blinders, has done very little worth noting. As well as they picked numerous English speaking foreign actors. Such as the character I complained about - the Indian woman. She is an actor from India. Strange choice.
Now that a week has past, there are a lot of reviews on the 1st episode. It is not pretty. The best reviews I found are tepid.
Problems are lengthy, beginning with Microsoft. Whose demands have stymied numerous attempts to make a movie.
Second, Spielberg is listed as executive producer, but insiders say this is nothing more than a badge to get interest as he is not involved in any real decision making. Third, this British Director was not the first choice, the original Director quit... but I don't know why...didn't look deep enough.
Fourth, this has dragged on for 7 years. Yep. 7 years. Like I said, Microsoft being the main culprit for that. Apparently nearly impossible to work with, and wants to be involved in the direction of the show...despite having exactly zero experience in the industry

Forum List

Back