Paraguay still haunted by cataclysmic war that nearly wiped it off the map

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Latin America’s bloodiest war ended with a single gunshot fired on the lonely banks of the Aquidabán Niguí – a stream flowing through dense subtropical forest in what is now the Cerro Corá national park in north-eastern Paraguay.

After a cross-country chase lasting months, Brazilian troops had finally caught up with Paraguay’s president and military commander, Marshal Francisco Solano López, and shot him dead on 1 March 1870.

He final words were supposedly: “I die with my homeland!” – and it was no exaggeration.

The six-year War of the Triple Alliance (1864-1870), in which Paraguay confronted the combined forces of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay, had inflicted apocalyptic damage on the landlocked nation.

It's an interesting piece of history.

Latin America’s bloodiest war ended with a single gunshot fired on the lonely banks of the Aquidabán Niguí – a stream flowing through dense subtropical forest in what is now the Cerro Corá national park in north-eastern Paraguay.

After a cross-country chase lasting months, Brazilian troops had finally caught up with Paraguay’s president and military commander, Marshal Francisco Solano López, and shot him dead on 1 March 1870.

He final words were supposedly: “I die with my homeland!” – and it was no exaggeration.

The six-year War of the Triple Alliance (1864-1870), in which Paraguay confronted the combined forces of Brazil, Argentina and Uruguay, had inflicted apocalyptic damage on the landlocked nation.

its a myth, Paraguay (build and created by tuff and smart The Society of Jesus ) has always been alpha - dog nation , that's why it annexed 50% extra territory from Bolivia in 30s

Yes, it IS very interesting.

Little Paraguay was fighting all those bigger countries.

I guess that it has never really recovered.

For many years, it had a dictator whose last name started with "S."

So the people have never really known democracy.

Nobody ever talks about Paraguay.

I am guessing that its current president is not exactly a model of democracy, either.

Forum List

Back