Paper towel masks................

They had a doctor on the news this morning who said that while cotton will work to keep you from infecting others, it's not very effective in keeping you safe, as everytime you inhale, you can get virus particles going through the cloth.
Did you ever determine the size of the micron that a paper towel would block?

Hey, I know that it is better than cloth. You can prove it to yourself if you wish. Take a paper towel, and hold it under a running tap. You will notice that the water is held for a time before leaking out because the material is fairly dense. Do the same thing with a piece of cloth and see how much faster the water runs out as compared to the paper towel. A paper towel will block smaller particles than what cloth will.

Hey, try it or not, no skin off my nose. Like I said, my roomie used to work at a hospital, so she knows what works and what doesn't. I'm just trying to be helpful so that people can try to stay safe. You're just trolling because you have nothing better to do other than follow me around and make snarky comments.
That sir is the exact problem with a paper towel. It is designed to soak up water. Now look up which environment is better for bacteria And or a virus to thrive in. A wet one? Or a dry one?

You know, I have had to run around town for up to an hour with one of them on, and they never even got damp. And no, I wouldn't want to go out in the rain with one.

You know, when Trump and the CDC said they recommend cloth face masks in public, and the way Willow has been bitching about microns and how paper towels aren't good enough, I did some checking.

The most tightly woven cloth will only filter down to 1 micron, and it also depends on the structure it is attached to.

Paper towels will filter all the way down to 0.3 microns. If you fold it over, it will increase its filter ability by 30 percent.

Kleenex will filter all the way down to 0.1 microns.

I also saw a doctor on the news who said that cloth masks will help keep YOU from infecting others, but will not stop others from infecting you.

So..................now that you know all the facts and figures, you can make up your own minds. Me personally? Kleenex sandwiched between 2 paper towel layers works better in my opinion than just a piece of cloth, but to each their own.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the micron rating of the N95 mask, and found out that paper towels are equal to them. They filter down to 0.3 microns.

Dust Mask and Filter Cartridge Ratings

Respiratory Filters come in a variety of ratings that relate to how the respirator performs (how much it filters) and what environment type it is designed to be used in. When choosing a respirator it's important to understand that as the letter rating and number rating increase, breathing fatigue will increase. While you certainly don't want to choose a rating that is too low, you don't necessarily always want to pick a P100 filter for every application - particularly if you're just looking for a simple dust mask to do home improvement work. Typically, an end user will find an N95 respirator cooler, and easier to breath through than a P99 or P95 dust mask.

Respirator Rating Letter Class
  • N - Not oil resistant
  • R - Resistant to oil
  • P - Oil Proof

Respirator Rating Number Class
  • 95 - Removes 95% of all particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter
  • 99 - Removes 99% of particles that are at least 0.3 microns in diameter
  • 100 - Removes 99.97% of all particles that are 0.3 microns in diameter or larger. HE or HEPA quality filter.

It's my understanding the the recommendation for people to wear masks is mostly to prevent people that have the Covid-19 virus form infecting other people. The makeshift mask as described by the OP would need to prevent small water droplets from escaping from the wearer's mouth and nose to be effective in preventing others from being exposed to the virus. According to the doctors I've heard on TV, these water droplets containing the virus are the main way in which the virus spreads. I think the paper towel/tissue mask should be reasonably effective in this way.

I'm putting this in General as I don't have a link, but I do have some information that may help some of you guys out there.

Yesterday, my roomie who used to work at a hospital decided that when I went out to get groceries, I had to start wearing a mask as she was concerned since the cases are starting to spike. Well, since there aren't any out there that you can buy, she decided to make her own.

She takes a paper towel (the kind that come in 1/2 sheet rolls), folds it in half, and then places a layer of Kleenex tissue in between the paper towel. She then folds the towel like a mask, and then seals the edges with masking tape. Ear holders are made with short pieces of twine, and the whole think only takes a few min. to make.

Personally? I like the idea she came up with, as it is not as porous as cotton, meaning it will filter better, and it's a one use mask since it is so inexpensive, so I don't have to keep reusing it. And, a roll of paper towels, a box of Kleenex and a roll of twine with some masking tape will make a whole bunch of one time use masks.

Use this idea in good health if it appeals to you.
Thanks, Biker! I'd love to see a pic of one. What does "then folds the towel like a mask" mean? Accordion like?
And does she tape on the string or punch holes through the tape or what?

Masks are rated according to the particulate matter that they filter! Measured in microns! Paper towels are useless.

Paper towels filter way more than cotton ever could think about. Especially if it has tissue paper in between it. Trump had told people they could use bandanas and scarves in a pinch. Nope, I prefer the paper towels as they filter a lot better than cotton.

US President Donald Trump is expected to encourage Americans to wear face coverings as soon as Thursday, the latest effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus, according to three individuals with knowledge of the planned announcement.
Trump's planned guidance – which two officials cautioned is not yet finalised – would encourage Americans to use home-made coverings, like cloth masks, scarves or bandanas, when outside the home.

Do you have any fucking concept at all of how friggin small a virus cell is, especially the spherical ones like covid 19?
I am using paper towel masks, and I feel pretty good about them. Matter of fact, because of the way it worked today, that is the reason I posted on here how to make them. There are people out there who either cannot get ahold of a mask, or they don't have enough money to buy them.

Paper towels and Kleenex ain't that expensive, neither is twine or masking tape, and they actually do make a pretty decent mask that you can throw away after 1 use and you won't break the bank doing so.
Won't do a dayum bit of good for a virus cell that's 60 - 120 nM in diameter. That's sub microscopic or smaller than itsey bitsey teensey weencey, my friend.

Paper towels filter way more out than Trump's suggestions of a bandana or scarf. Combined with a Kleenex center, it's pretty damn good in my opinion. And, fwiw................paper towels have pretty small openings, as you can actually hold water in them like a cup for a short while. You can't do that with cotton. That means they are pretty good at filtering.
Give it to us in microns. I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Hospitals never use paper towels for masks!

Hospitals don't use bandanas and scarves for masks either, but that is what Trump has recommended. And, like I said, it filters better than cotton ever could, it's cheap, and a one time use thing. No, I'm not planning on doing surgery or being in a hospital with one, but it sure as hell beats a single or double ply of cotton. I saw a woman at Wal Mart today who was wearing a mask she bought in a store somewhere, but it wasn't effective, where the mouth was was a pattern of holes in about an inch and a half circle so she could breathe better. My mask beats the hell out of that one. Cheaper too!
Since the masks are only good for catching my germs before they enter the airspace, if I'm not sick, why do I need to dispose of them after each use?

I'm putting this in General as I don't have a link, but I do have some information that may help some of you guys out there.

Yesterday, my roomie who used to work at a hospital decided that when I went out to get groceries, I had to start wearing a mask as she was concerned since the cases are starting to spike. Well, since there aren't any out there that you can buy, she decided to make her own.

She takes a paper towel (the kind that come in 1/2 sheet rolls), folds it in half, and then places a layer of Kleenex tissue in between the paper towel. She then folds the towel like a mask, and then seals the edges with masking tape. Ear holders are made with short pieces of twine, and the whole think only takes a few min. to make.

Personally? I like the idea she came up with, as it is not as porous as cotton, meaning it will filter better, and it's a one use mask since it is so inexpensive, so I don't have to keep reusing it. And, a roll of paper towels, a box of Kleenex and a roll of twine with some masking tape will make a whole bunch of one time use masks.

Thanks, Biker! I'd love to see a pic of one. What does "then folds the towel like a mask" mean? Accordion like?
Masks are rated according to the particulate matter that they filter! Measured in microns! Paper towels are useless.

Paper towels filter way more than cotton ever could think about. Especially if it has tissue paper in between it. Trump had told people they could use bandanas and scarves in a pinch. Nope, I prefer the paper towels as they filter a lot better than cotton.

US President Donald Trump is expected to encourage Americans to wear face coverings as soon as Thursday, the latest effort to curb the spread of the coronavirus, according to three individuals with knowledge of the planned announcement.
Trump's planned guidance – which two officials cautioned is not yet finalised – would encourage Americans to use home-made coverings, like cloth masks, scarves or bandanas, when outside the home.

Do you have any fucking concept at all of how friggin small a virus cell is, especially the spherical ones like covid 19?
I am using paper towel masks, and I feel pretty good about them. Matter of fact, because of the way it worked today, that is the reason I posted on here how to make them. There are people out there who either cannot get ahold of a mask, or they don't have enough money to buy them.

Paper towels and Kleenex ain't that expensive, neither is twine or masking tape, and they actually do make a pretty decent mask that you can throw away after 1 use and you won't break the bank doing so.
Won't do a dayum bit of good for a virus cell that's 60 - 120 nM in diameter. That's sub microscopic or smaller than itsey bitsey teensey weencey, my friend.

Paper towels filter way more out than Trump's suggestions of a bandana or scarf. Combined with a Kleenex center, it's pretty damn good in my opinion. And, fwiw................paper towels have pretty small openings, as you can actually hold water in them like a cup for a short while. You can't do that with cotton. That means they are pretty good at filtering.
Give it to us in microns. I hate to tell you this but you are wrong. Hospitals never use paper towels for masks!

Hospitals don't use bandanas and scarves for masks either, but that is what Trump has recommended. And, like I said, it filters better than cotton ever could, it's cheap, and a one time use thing. No, I'm not planning on doing surgery or being in a hospital with one, but it sure as hell beats a single or double ply of cotton. I saw a woman at Wal Mart today who was wearing a mask she bought in a store somewhere, but it wasn't effective, where the mouth was was a pattern of holes in about an inch and a half circle so she could breathe better. My mask beats the hell out of that one. Cheaper too!
Since the masks are only good for catching my germs before they enter the airspace, if I'm not sick, why do I need to dispose of them after each use?

Actually Old Lady, the masks are effective at stopping the virus from entering into your lungs, that is part of the reason for the Kleenex inner liner. Kleenex has a static charge to it that catches viruses.

As far as the pleats? The reason you fold it like a surgical mask is so that the pleats will expand when you put it on in the front, but the sides stay close to your face.

And, you don't really need to dispose of them after one use if you place them in the microwave on high setting for 2 min. No, it won't catch fire, but it will sterilize the mask. I use mine 2 to 3 times (with microwaving) before making another one.

As far as the tape? I find that using the tape to attach the mask works pretty well, and no, you don't have to punch holes in the sides unless that is something that suits you better. And, if you don't like the mask design that I have here, YouTube has several videos of how to make them out of paper towels, so you can find a style that you like.

Actually Old Lady, the masks are effective at stopping the virus from entering into your lungs, that is part of the reason for the Kleenex inner liner. Kleenex has a static charge to it that catches viruses.

As far as the pleats? The reason you fold it like a surgical mask is so that the pleats will expand when you put it on in the front, but the sides stay close to your face.

And, you don't really need to dispose of them after one use if you place them in the microwave on high setting for 2 min. No, it won't catch fire, but it will sterilize the mask. I use mine 2 to 3 times (with microwaving) before making another one.

As far as the tape? I find that using the tape to attach the mask works pretty well, and no, you don't have to punch holes in the sides unless that is something that suits you better. And, if you don't like the mask design that I have here, YouTube has several videos of how to make them out of paper towels, so you can find a style that you like.
Thanks a lot, Biker!

Forum List

Back