Panera Apologizes to family of toddler kicked out over squeaky shoes

wavingrl

Nov 14, 2012
ATL
Panera Apologizes To Family Of Toddler Asked To Leave Restaurant Over Orthopedic Shoes (VIDEO)

<Panera Bread has apologized to the family of a 2-year-old girl that was asked to leave a Savannah, Ga., restaurant because the child's special orthopedic shoes were reportedly bothering a customer.

Emma, who has developmental delays that make walking difficult, was at the Panera location with her mother, Catherine Duke, on Jan. 2, when, the parent said, they were approached by an assistant manager who gave them an ultimatum: Take off the shoes, or leave, local station WTOC reports.

Duke said she was shocked and humiliated by the request.

"It was very hurtful, and I left the store crying, not a very good thing for a mom to feel like her child is being discriminated against," she told WTOC.

In an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," Emma's dad, Stephen Duke, explained that the special shoes are required by her doctor.

&#8220;She just started to try to walk at 23 months, which is very late, so the orthopedist recommended special shoes to her for better ankle support,&#8221; the father told the outlet. &#8220;The shoes squeak as an incentive when she walks heel to toe, so she&#8217;ll hear it and know that she&#8217;s walking properly.&#8221;

Now, it appears Panera is trying to make amends for its mistake. The St. Louis-based chain has officially apologized to the Duke family and said it would like to host a fundraiser for Emma to help pay for her medical bills.

"They want to help children with disabilities and this was just something that happened in their café and they are not proud of it," the girl's mother told WTOC in a follow-up interview. >

~~~
let me apologize for myself--bad mood

'At least she wasn't killed'--after reading the thread about the man shot for tweeting in a movie theater.

Just how tightly wound can people be.

I stopped by my local Panera and tried to imagine a similar scenario--just couldn't--most of the floor is carpeted, fwiw--people seem to be more laid back in this Panera. Thankful for that.

The world has gone mad. jmo.

Last edited:
WOW. If I'd been the father and I'd been present I would've lost my shit! That's one of the big problems in this country is people just take their beating and walk away from this kind of BS.

What about the other customers? How is it that nobody stood up for this mother and child?

Wow, this is sad. I do not know what gets into people.

Self-centered prick = middle-class conservative.

There are self-centered pricks on both sides of the aisle. There is no reason to bring politics into this thread. :eusa_hand:

More on topic, I agree that it should have been the asshole customer who was asked to leave. How damn sensitive do you have to be that a kid's squeaky shoes bother you so bad you complain to management? If you are going to complain at least have the balls to do it directly to the mother. That way she knock your teeth down your throat, and get kicked out on her own terms.

Panera Apologizes To Family Of Toddler Asked To Leave Restaurant Over Orthopedic Shoes (VIDEO)

<Panera Bread has apologized to the family of a 2-year-old girl that was asked to leave a Savannah, Ga., restaurant because the child's special orthopedic shoes were reportedly bothering a customer.

Emma, who has developmental delays that make walking difficult, was at the Panera location with her mother, Catherine Duke, on Jan. 2, when, the parent said, they were approached by an assistant manager who gave them an ultimatum: Take off the shoes, or leave, local station WTOC reports.

"It was very hurtful, and I left the store crying, not a very good thing for a mom to feel like her child is being discriminated against," she told WTOC.

In an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America," Emma's dad, Stephen Duke, explained that the special shoes are required by her doctor.

“She just started to try to walk at 23 months, which is very late, so the orthopedist recommended special shoes to her for better ankle support,” the father told the outlet. “The shoes squeak as an incentive when she walks heel to toe, so she’ll hear it and know that she’s walking properly.”

Now, it appears Panera is trying to make amends for its mistake. The St. Louis-based chain has officially apologized to the Duke family and said it would like to host a fundraiser for Emma to help pay for her medical bills.

"They want to help children with disabilities and this was just something that happened in their café and they are not proud of it," the girl's mother told WTOC in a follow-up interview. >

~~~

'At least she wasn't killed'--after reading the thread about the man shot for tweeting in a movie theater.

I stopped by my local Panera and tried to imagine a similar scenario--just couldn't--most of the floor is carpeted, fwiw--people seem to be more laid back in this Panera. Thankful for that.

Underlined comments -

Good for them and that's what I was thinking about the one where we go.

Ours gives all their leftover food/bread to the food pantry every single night and makes donations to the homeless shelter and the shelter for battered women and children. THAT is the Panera I know and the biggest reason we frequent them.

Lefties will no doubt try to turn it into a political issue but you can't make this stuff up. What the hell were they thinking? You can't even throw out a homeless smelly schitzphrenic with squeaky shoes out of a restaurant much less a innocent two year old.

“She just started to try to walk at 23 months, which is very late, so the orthopedist recommended special shoes to her for better ankle support,” the father told the outlet. “The shoes squeak as an incentive when she walks heel to toe, so she’ll hear it and know that she’s walking properly.”

~~~

Underlined comments -

Good for them and that's what I was thinking about the one where we go.

Ours gives all their leftover food/bread to the food pantry every single night and makes donations to the homeless shelter and the shelter for battered women and children. THAT is the Panera I know and the biggest reason we frequent them.

The employee at my local Panera said the one where this occurred was a franchise. She said she would never tell a customer to leave. Panera is good--I tried to reassure her--most people thought that.

I"ve seen a kid wearing squeeky shoes and yes they are annoying. However, had this simply been explained better this incident might not have happened. Just sounds like poor communication by all parties.

Forum List

Back