Pain Like No Other

Swagger

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2011
Up on the scaffold
Regretfully, I injured my left hand on site this afternoon. I was standing at the foot of the temporary stairs the scaffolders had built with my left hand on a pallet of plyboard while I held court over the bricklayers. As we were chatting, a thus-far unidentified scaffolder nudged a swivel clamp over the toeboard and it fell two stories and landed on the back of my left hand (these things are made of solid steel). The pain was unimaginable and I expressed my extreme discomfort by bellowing all manner of expletives across the site. Honestly, it's a miracle that no bones were broken and if I was alone when it happened I probably would've cried. I used to think that bashing your thumb with a claw hammer was bad enough, but having that bastard thing land on my left hand in sub-zero temperatures was life changing.

Just thought you should all know.

Sorry to hear that Swagger.
Quick healing vibes headed your way.
I bet it was very painful.

I wonder, should I start a thread in this forum about the blister I got yesterday from my new ballet flats?

Shouldn't this be in the flame zone, Swaggie?

Regretfully, I injured my left hand on site this afternoon. I was standing at the foot of the temporary stairs the scaffolders had built with my left hand on a pallet of plyboard while I held court over the bricklayers. As we were chatting, a thus-far unidentified scaffolder nudged a swivel clamp over the toeboard and it fell two stories and landed on the back of my left hand (these things are made of solid steel). The pain was unimaginable and I expressed my extreme discomfort by bellowing all manner of expletives across the site. Honestly, it's a miracle that no bones were broken and if I was alone when it happened I probably would've cried. I used to think that bashing your thumb with a claw hammer was bad enough, but having that bastard thing land on my left hand in sub-zero temperatures was life changing.

Sounds like you are a supervisor, if so, and I don't mean an insult, you weren't doing your job. Scaffold people are notorious for dropping crap, you should have been no where near under them, and no one else. Not that that gives then a license to drop crap it is just what happens.

I wonder, should I start a thread in this forum about the blister I got yesterday from my new ballet flats?

Firstly, Ravi, we're talking about an industrial injury here, not some petty blister. It's a good thing I was wearing ribbed gloves.

Secondly, this is the forum for making announcements, no? I made an announcement. It stays here.

Thirdly, and this isn't the first time I've had to remind you of this, but in case you have difficulty reading (which you clearly don't), it's Swagger. Not "Swaggie" or "Swaggert" (the latter being your favourite). I don't want to have to remind you again, young lady.

Sounds like you are a supervisor, if so, and I don't mean an insult, you weren't doing your job. Scaffold people are notorious for dropping crap, you should have been no where near under them, and no one else. Not that that gives then a license to drop crap it is just what happens.
Perhaps the scaffolder did it on purpose.

Swaggie is probably lucky that his screeching didn't cause one of them to fall to their deaths.

Firstly, Ravi, we're talking about an industrial injury here, not some petty blister. It's a good thing I was wearing ribbed gloves.

Secondly, this is the forum for making announcements, no? I made an announcement. It stays here.

Thirdly, and this isn't the first time I've had to remind you of this, but in case you have difficulty reading (which you clearly don't), it's Swagger. Not "Swaggie" or "Swaggert" (the latter being your favourite). I don't want to have to remind you again, young lady.
Okay, Swaggert.

You might want to think about finding a less dangerous job.

And btw, my job requires me to wear ballet flats so is that not also considered an industrial accident? Should I not sue myself?

I am not the supervisor, I am the contractor. I appreciate what you're saying, but you can't reasonably expect someone to take into account something like an errant clamp that's lying behind a toeboard all the time. Shit happens on site, and today it happened to me.

Crap, that had to have hurt. Get better soon. And stay away from scaffolding! ;)

I am not the supervisor, I am the contractor. I appreciate what you're saying, but you can't reasonably expect someone to take into account something like an errant clamp that's lying behind a toeboard all the time. Shit happens on site, and today it happened to me.
Suck it up....be a man.....stop whining.....

Too bad it didnt hit you in the head. "held court over the bricklayers"? :laugh:

Forum List

Back