Pabst- declared America's most tremendous beer

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
That's what the Blue Ribbon indicates.

At the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, one of the questions that the people wanted an answer to , "What is America's greatest beer", with the winner receiving the official Blue Ribbon.

The decision of the exposition was that Pabst was the best.

Even today, 176 years after the beer was launched, people still enjoy Pabst.

when I was a young man, Pabst wasn't big around here. People drank Schmidts or Bud or Iron or Rock.

Pabst wasn't on the short list. But nowadays, its taken its rightful place.

At the 1893 Columbian Exposition in Chicago, one of the questions that the people wanted an answer to , "What is America's greatest beer", with the winner receiving the official Blue Ribbon.

when I was a young man, Pabst wasn't big around here. People drank Schmidts or Bud or Iron or Rock.

Have you ever drank a good beer? Pabst is piss water.

1595214001244.png

When I was a teenager, I really liked Schmidt's. You ever drink Schmidts?

How about Rolling Rock and Iron that I like pretty well also

I quit drinking 2 years ago next month, but back in the day I liked Canadian
and European bottled beers (no offense). Glacier Bay, Moosehead, Molson's, Heinekin, St Pauli Girl, Becks, Killian's Irish Red, Guiness....

Last edited:

I've never actually tried a Schmidt, but when I was a little kid I would collect beer cans. And Schmidt made a lot of artistic collectible beer cans.

3ff6704c4753de662c68e9cd9fd7999d.jpg

As far as Rolling Rock and Iron City, both of those were made in Pennsylvania and some were very collectible too. And had a lot of trade value.

The little 7oz Rolling Rock cans and the older green bottles with raised lettering and artwork embossed on them had some serious trade value.

Vintage-Green-Rolling-Rock-Premium-Beer-Bottle-7.jpg

391a355326107c6f02e45befedf12009.jpg

And the Iron City cans were very popular too, especially the Steeler Super Bowl cans.

7.-HHC-cans-2007.56.155-ab.jpg

And the old cone tops.

images

And after the invention of the tab top.....

Three-Early-Pull-Tops-Bud-Tab-Top-Iron.jpg

Last edited:

One of the best bottled beers is Bud Budvar.

One of the best bottled beers is Bud Budvar.

I like beer served in a can a lot better than in a bottle. I know some people think otherwise, but a lot of people don't have the acute sense of taste I have.

The recipe of 1893 is long gone.

That's not the information on the can. I quote" This is the original Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America's best in 1893"

And this.

Whether the brand actually won an award in 1893 is unclear. Some contemporaneous accounts indicate that many vendors were frustrated by the fair's refusal to award such prizes. One account says that the only prizes awarded by the executive committee were bronze medals, in recognition of "some independent and essential excellence in the article displayed", rather than "merely to indicate the relative merits of competing exhibits".

However, the beer had won many other awards at many other fairs – so many, in fact, that Captain Pabst had already started tying silk ribbons around every bottle. It was a time when beer bottles were more likely to be embossed than labeled and the ribbons were likely added at great cost to Pabst. But Pabst's display of pride was also a display of marketing savvy, as patrons started asking their bartenders for "the blue-ribbon beer."

That's not the information on the can. I quote" This is the original Pabst Blue Ribbon beer. Nature's choicest products provide its prized flavor. Only the finest of hops and grains are used. Selected as America's best in 1893"

It isn't the same recipe.

So the information on the can is incorrect? Do you know when they changed the recipe?

Needless to say I wasn't around in 1893, although my great grandfather was- since he was in the backwaters of the Austrian Hungarian Empire, he never had a chance to drink Pabst.

It isn't the same recipe.

So the information on the can is incorrect? Do you know when they changed the recipe?

Needless to say I wasn't around in 1893, although my great grandfather was- since he was in the backwaters of the Austrian Hungarian Empire, he never had a chance to drink Pabst.

As one example of change is that they use corn syrup today (not HFC).

Forum List

Back