Pa. mayor who targeted illegals on way to third term

red states rule

May 30, 2006
Both parties need to pay attention to this

It is time to stop the invasion of the US by illegals

ALLENTOWN, Pa. --Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta, who gained national prominence by targeting illegal immigrants living in his small northeastern Pennsylvania city, cruised to the Republican nomination for a third term on Tuesday - and unexpectedly won the Democratic nomination, too.

Barletta trounced GOP challenger Dee Deakos with nearly 94 percent of the vote. And he beat former Mayor Michael Marsicano for the Democratic nomination by staging a last-minute write-in campaign, all but guaranteeing himself another term, unofficial returns showed.

"I think the message is clear," Barletta said. "The people of Hazleton want me to keep fighting for them."

The Republican mayor said Democrats kept telling him they wished they could vote for him in the primary. So, about a week ago, he mailed instructions to Democratic voters on how to write in his name.

Marsicano, a retired airline pilot who was Hazleton's mayor from 1996 to 1999, had appeared alone on the Democratic ballot.

Barletta, a businessman who took office in 2000, proposed the Illegal Immigration Relief Act last year after four illegal immigrants were charged with shooting and killing a man.

The measure, on hold due to a legal challenge by Hispanic groups and individuals, was approved last summer and emulated by towns and cities around the nation. It would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and businesses that hire them.

Barletta has been mentioned as a potential candidate for higher office, but for now he said his focus is on seeing the ordinance through.

He said he was gratified by the overwhelming hometown support, particularly given that Democrats hold a 2-1 registration edge over Republicans in the city of more than 30,000.

"I know I made history here as a write-in, especially in a city of this size. It's not an easy thing to do," he said. "I'm so humbled by the amount of support."

Also Tuesday, two Hispanic candidates lost their primary bids for two open seats on Hazleton City Council. One of the candidates, Rudy Espinal, is a plaintiff in the illegal immigrant lawsuit.
http://www.centredaily.com/126/story/97475.html

This shows that politicians with the guts to stand up to illegal invasion will be rewarded by voters. Bush, Kennedy, McCain, etc. don't have to worry about this, but I wish they did.

This shows that politicians with the guts to stand up to illegal invasion will be rewarded by voters. Bush, Kennedy, McCain, etc. don't have to worry about this, but I wish they did.

It is good to see

If only more Republicans would grow a pair and stop the invasion

Forum List

Back