Oxford University boss says it is 'unfortunate' that some students 'claim a right not to be offended’

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
The irony here is, it's the education system in the first place over the last several decades that has trained kids to believe in and behave in this manner.

The outgoing Vice Chancellor of Oxford University has said it is “unfortunate” that some students “claim a right not to be offended”.
In an interview with student newspaper Cherwell, Dame Louise Richardson, who has served as Vice Chancellor since 2016, said that “there is a view amongst some students - and it’s not all students - there is a right not to be offended”.

“I think that’s unfortunate. I’d like to persuade them that that’s not a healthy approach to take,” she added.

She said that Oxford was “pretty robust” on freedom of speech.

R.d91889ae4cfc892326e6a4ccb13da462

The irony here is, it's the education system in the first place over the last several decades that has trained kids to believe in and behave in this manner.

Gee, an outgoing Oxford Chancellor saying that, in a way, gives me a little more faith in at least a segment of our young college students.

And I'm offended by people who protests, complain and tell me I can't say think, or do things they find offensive.

So if they are offended by me and I'm offended by them then who is right? No one is because people do not have a right to be offended. They don't have a right to condemn or censor others because they don't like what they say.

What do they have a right to? They have the right of freedom of choice and they are free to ignore me, the right to not watch a movie that offends them and so on.

If offended people spent more time focusing on what they enjoy and less time focused on things that make them unhappy they would find their life has more happiness in it.

If all you do is focus on negativity then guess what? You're going to have a negative life.

There’s nothing wrong with offending people… where did you learn that one?
Your feelings are not my responsibility. They're yours. I'm allowed to think and say whatever I want. I don't need to censor or mitigate myself because it upsets you, nor should I.

Your feelings are not my responsibility. They're yours. I'm allowed to think and say whatever I want. I don't need to censor or mitigate myself because it upsets you, nor should I.
Being allowed to do something and calling it morally right or wrong are two different things. You’re allowed to say whatever you want. That doesn’t make everything you say right.

Being allowed to do something and calling it morally right or wrong are two different things. You’re allowed to say whatever you want. That doesn’t make everything you say right.
Doesn't matter. Morality is subjective. I don't owe you the mitigation of my own speech.

Doesn't matter. Morality is subjective. I don't owe you the mitigation of my own speech.
I never asked for the mitigation of your speech. I just asked where you learned that there is nothing wrong with offending people? You can hold whichever moral beliefs you want. But the question is can you explain and justify them?

Don't forget that you are talking to a member of the cult that believes that nothing is wrong unless they say it is. Complete moral relativity. Torches and pitchforks.

Offending people doesn't hurt them. If it did, you're be running out of here crying, after the abuse that rightfully gets heaped on you here.
Offending people doesn’t physically hurt them… true. So what does that have to do with my question?

I second this, especially when in some cases, there may not be a right or wrong answer. I was just now looking at the chat here about songs that address loss and grief. That right there may be just the matter where there isn't a right or wrong answer when people deal with loss and grief in different ways. Some people think that going to a grief counselor or support group helps, but in my opinion, going that route might only add more to a person's grief because being with other people concerning your problem(s) only means that you have to think about your problem(s) even more.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. In my opinion, pushing a person into addressing their problem might only alienate the person even more. In other words, the best thing to do may be to grow some patience and wait for them to acknowledge their problem whenever they are good and ready and in whatever way it is that they see fit to acknowledge their problem.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back