Over 1000 Break Lockdown Restrictions To Celebrate St Patrick's Day In Liverpool UK.

Oz and the Orchestra

Platinum Member
May 25, 2020
Lake District England

1616056389223.png

Police later estimated that over 1000 people had attended this party in Sefton Park, Liverpool, England. risking fines from £800 to £10,000 for organising such an event to celebrate St Patricks Day.

What though is it about St Patricks Day that in normal years sees celebrations in cities all over the world?
Each year St Georges Day Apr. 23rd England's patron saint goes by without so much as the odd street party.
Anglican Churches fly The Flag of St George
1616059871924.png
from cathedrals and churches but that event has always gone by without much interest from the general public. Contrast that with the party's, street parades, and general celebrations on St Patrick's Day who after all is the patron saint of Ireland, not England, and it's hard to understand why. Not that I'm complaining as an Irishman having lived in England all my life, it's nice every year come the 17th March to see the Irish tricolor
1616060023269.png
being waved about, the shamrock, the silly leprechaun hats, fake red beards, girls chancing their 'Riverdance' routines as the Guinness flows. I always think it marks the beginning of spring.

I don't think though it is that different from the US. Or many other places. I've seen St Patrick's Day celebrations in places like New York. Chicago etc.

Does the US have a patron saint? Is he or she widely celebrated?"
"If your Oirish, come into the parlour, there's a welcome there for you...."
1616060747151.png

View attachment 469107
Police later estimated that over 1000 people had attended this party in Sefton Park, Liverpool, England. risking fines from £800 to £10,000 for organising such an event to celebrate St Patricks Day.

What though is it about St Patricks Day that in normal years sees celebrations in cities all over the world?
Each year St Georges Day Apr. 23rd England's patron saint goes by without so much as the odd street party.
Anglican Churches fly The Flag of St GeorgeView attachment 469110 from cathedrals and churches but that event has always gone by without much interest from the general public. Contrast that with the party's, street parades, and general celebrations on St Patrick's Day who after all is the patron saint of Ireland, not England, and it's hard to understand why. Not that I'm complaining as an Irishman having lived in England all my life, it's nice every year come the 17th March to see the Irish tricolor View attachment 469111being waved about, the shamrock, the silly leprechaun hats, fake red beards, girls chancing their 'Riverdance' routines as the Guinness flows. I always think it marks the beginning of spring.

I don't think though it is that different from the US. Or many other places. I've seen St Patrick's Day celebrations in places like New York. Chicago etc.

Does the US have a patron saint? Is he or she widely celebrated?"
"If your Oirish, come into the parlour, there's a welcome there for you...." View attachment 469112

Good for them. We all should be doing this.

It's a day where grownups are allowed to act silly for a few hours before they have to return to the joyless grind of adult life. That's pretty much it.

Forum List

Back