Outrage Over Footage of Police Officer Beating a Black Man in North Carolina

Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.
" I can't breathe, I can't breathe". I know what he was doing. Acting up for the camera. Why do black men run from the police and then wonder why they are beaten to the ground because they refuse to cooperate. The brother is looking for a payday. Count on it.

The cops did nothing wrong.

So why did he resign? And why did his superiors say that he did in fact do something wrong.
"A Stage Where Every Man Must Play a Part"

His superiors are ambitious and need to bootlick the powerful thughuggers in order to get ahead. They forced him to resign so that people like you would see it as an admission of guilt.

Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.
" I can't breathe, I can't breathe". I know what he was doing. Acting up for the camera. Why do black men run from the police and then wonder why they are beaten to the ground because they refuse to cooperate. The brother is looking for a payday. Count on it.
No Pain, No Gain

It's no different from a juiced-up jock being willing to suffer pain in order to get big bucks from his club owners.

And all y’all excusing the cop and explaining why he deserved a beat-down have yet to explain why he resigned, why his superiors found his actions inexcusable, why his civil rights were violated, and why the FBI is investigating.

He could have resigned because he got a job somewhere else for more money. I have no idea, and the truth is, NEITHER DO YOU.

It's not up to ME to show why he resigned, you're the one making the accusation that he resigned for some reason, so what is it? And where is your substantive link backing it up?

Guy shouldn't have ran and the officer should have shown restraint. Shit happens

If the cops have to come after you then they will bring an ass kicking with them.

Course the best way not to get the cops after you is to not break the law. Yes it really is that easy. Don't want the cops stopping you? Don't break the law.

Fuck that nword criminal.

The cops did nothing wrong.

That is completely wrong.
They can not legally taser someone unless they have a weapon.
A taser IS considered deadly force, and can not be used to force compliance.
Jaywalking is not illegal if you are not interfering with traffic.
You do not have to show ID unless you have committed an offense.
The police had no probable cause to interfere with his rights at all.

I am from the Carolinas (South Carolina), about an hour away from Asheville. Jaywalking laws are practically never enforced unless someone is endangering himself in heavy traffic.

The SCOTUS has ruled that jaywalking is legal if you do not interfere with traffic.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
That is completely wrong.
They can not legally taser someone unless they have a weapon.
A taser IS considered deadly force, and can not be used to force compliance.
Jaywalking is not illegal if you are not interfering with traffic.
You do not have to show ID unless you have committed an offense.
The police had no probable cause to interfere with his rights at all.

Nah....they tase people who refuse to get out of their vehicles all the time weapon or no weapon.

Forum List

Back