Outrage Over Footage of Police Officer Beating a Black Man in North Carolina

Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.

The asshole needs to be sitting in prison....for a loooong time...

IMHO, many people of the ethnicity in question are defiant toward authority (police officers, teachers, managers, etc.) because they are very angry and hurt people.

They are still hurting from the discrimination that they (or their parents and especially grandparents) suffered. (Even President Nixon said that it was a shame that people of that ethnicity could not walk into any restaurant and have a meal like any other American.)

In dealing with them (especially young males), one must be very careful. A smile would help. Don't yell at them. Show them respect. Say "Sir" and "Ma'am."

About ten years ago on the Los Angeles subway, I saw a law enforcement officer ask a young male of that ethnicity to show his ticket.

The young man replied something like: "No, I will not show it to you. You have not asked the other passengers to show you their tickets!"

The law enforcement officer just walked away.

Yes, like it or not, people in authority have to know when to turn a blind eye.

In fact, many police officers are already ignoring "minor" infractions.

In the case of the person mentioned in the OP, it would have been better to have just let him jaywalk.

Of course, if a car had hit him, then his family would have sued the officers for NOT having stopped him from jaywalking!

Let's face it: In 2018 America, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My advice to educated young people: DON'T go into professions where you have to deal with the defiant.

Last edited:
IMHO, many people of the ethnicity in question are defiant toward authority (police officers, teachers, managers, etc.) because they are very angry and hurt people.

They are still hurting from the discrimination that they (or their parents and especially grandparents) suffered. (Even President Nixon said that it was a shame that people of that ethnicity could not walk into any restaurant and have a meal like any other American.)

In dealing with them (especially young males), one must be very careful. A smile would help. Don't yell at them. Show them respect. Say "Sir" and "Ma'am."

About ten years ago on the Los Angeles subway, I saw a law enforcement official ask a young male of that ethnicity to show his ticket.

The young man replied something like: "No, I will not show it to you. You have not asked the other passengers to show you their tickets!"

In the case of the person mentioned in the OP, it would have been better to have just let him jaywalk.

Of course, if a car had hit him, then his family would have sued the officers for NOT having stopped him from jaywalking!

Let's face it: In 2018 America, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

My advice to educated young people: DON'T go into professions where you have to deal with the defiant.

"In the case of the person mentioned in the OP, it would have been better to have just let him jaywalk."

They did - twice - and just asked him politely to stop and use the crosswalks. On the 4th time (after he came out of a bar) they interceded. He was talked to politely, became belligerent, was given his choice of punishment (ticket or arrest) and he chose to ultimately run away (evading arrest) after specifically being told not to move.

The resultant altercation was brought on by the the perps deliberate actions. When caught, he then resisted. Excessive force was not used. The force used was that necessary to subdue a fleeing fighting suspect. Once the cuffs were applied, the use of force stopped.

The true racist are those who can only see skin color as the only ones being victims. When it is issues like this that continue to fuel division. When if msm would title it TWO COPS BEAT A MAN........ why is the public so dumbed down they can not pick up on mass brainwashing that is being done to the public via MSM BS.

but they just have to fuel it by saying " white cops on a black man..

Where in the hell are they ( leftist liberals) for the WHITE FARMERS in S. Africa

upload_2018-3-8_11-21-22.png

upload_2018-3-8_11-22-24.png

Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.
I use my baton at work quite often, however I have never had to beat someone with it.

Normally when "they" see the baton come out they are smitten with fear and they freeze.

So my first question is "what happened in this case to escalate from drawing a baton -- which itself normally solves the problem -- to beating someone with it?"

We are always reminded to behave as though we are being recorded because we probably are.

At one time I wanted to join the police force, but after seeing the shit they have to deal with, and get no respect, I don't want that headache.

Just think every day, they wake up , get dressed, if married, kiss their family goodbye, not knowing if this is their last day on Earth.. Not saying what these 2 did was okay, but remember that you guys want the rest of US to give up our guns, so people like this will be there to .....Protect?
Henceforth, remind me to cross at the corners.

About ten years ago on the Los Angeles subway, I saw a law enforcement official ask a young male of that ethnicity to show his ticket.

"In the case of the person mentioned in the OP, it would have been better to have just let him jaywalk."

They did - twice - and just asked him politely to stop and use the crosswalks. On the 4th time (after he came out of a bar) they interceded. He was talked to politely, became belligerent, was given his choice of punishment (ticket or arrest) and he chose to ultimately run away (evading arrest) after specifically being told not to move.

The resultant altercation was brought on by the the perps deliberate actions. When caught, he then resisted. Excessive force was not used. The force used was that necessary to subdue a fleeing fighting suspect. Once the cuffs were applied, the use of force stopped.
Police are allowed to chase you when you flee from the commission of a crime or if they have probably cause to believe you committed a crime.

If they catch you they are allowed to beat you if you resist arrest.

This all sounds quite regular and normal to me.

Thanks for the update ZZ PUPPS .

At one time I wanted to join the police force, but after seeing the shit they have to deal with, and get no respect, I don't want that headache.

Just think every day, they wake up , get dressed, if married, kiss their family goodbye, not knowing if this is their last day on Earth.. Not saying what these 2 did was okay, but remember that you guys want the rest of US to give up our guns, so people like this will be there to .....Protect?
Henceforth, remind me to cross at the corners.
When you jay-walk you endanger not only yourself but motorists.

You are a 100-200 lb bag of water that is very heavy and hard.

A car hitting you would damage the car and also the driver.

Plus when you jay-walk in the clear view of police you are flaunting the law and making a mockery of it.

So, yah, don't forget to use the crosswalks. No sh!t.

The asshole needs to be sitting in prison....for a loooong time...
Which azzhole ?? There are 2 players in this drama and your antecedent is not clear.

looks like he deserved a beating
99.999% of the time these idiots are resisting
goes to show how racist and dumb these thugs are when they don't COMPLY!

Many moons ago I too was going to be cop. You could actually shoot cars being chased then but pay sucked. Now the pay is good but you get fired for calling a guy in a dress a guy.

He dindunuffin.

All I saw was some punk who the cops tried to deal with civily stupidly escalate the situation and the resist arrest. If that "outrages" you then go ahead and be outraged.

No one gives a rat's ass.

This happened in August of 2017 and now its news?

When the New York Times writes about the incident and all that followed on March 8, 2018, then yes. It’s news.

And all y’all excusing the cop and explaining why he deserved a beat-down have yet to explain why he resigned, why his superiors found his actions inexcusable, why his civil rights were violated, and why the FBI is investigating.

New Topics

Forum List

Back