Outrage Over Footage of Police Officer Beating a Black Man in North Carolina

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS
Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.

Federal authorities are investigating body camera footage from August that shows two white police officers Tasering and beating a black man whom they accused of jaywalking in Asheville, N.C.

The footage, obtained by The Citizen Times, has created an uproar in town. One of the officers has resigned, and the police chief has offered to follow suit.

“The city is in outrage,” Councilwoman Sheneika Smith said in a phone interview on Wednesday. “Facebook was flaming. It was on fire.”

The beginning of the video, which was taken last year, shows Johnnie Jermaine Rush being approached by Verino Ruggiero, an officer in training, shortly after midnight on Aug. 25 at a street corner near a baseball stadium in Asheville, about 120 miles west of Charlotte.

Most of the facts have already been examined. The guilty officer, for a wonder, resigned. I fully expected to read that he feared for his life. Not this time.
At one time I wanted to join the police force, but after seeing the shit they have to deal with, and get no respect, I don't want that headache.

Just think every day, they wake up , get dressed, if married, kiss their family goodbye, not knowing if this is their last day on Earth.. Not saying what these 2 did was okay, but remember that you guys want the rest of US to give up our guns, so people like this will be there to .....Protect?

At one time I wanted to join the police force, but after seeing the shit they have to deal with, and get no respect, I don't want that headache.

Just think every day, they wake up , get dressed, if married, kiss their family goodbye, not knowing if this is their last day on Earth.. Not saying what these 2 did was okay, but remember that you guys want the rest of US to give up our guns, so people like this will be there to .....Protect?

My guesstimate is that 95% or more of cops are good cops. My only beef with them is when they protect the bad cops.

Thank goodness Officer Ruggiero was on the scene to protect the fine citizens of Asheville from jaywalkers.

The funny thing is, they are driving out the best, and now have to accept less than perfect. The cops of the future will be worse because the good guys won't take the job.

I am from the Carolinas (South Carolina), about an hour away from Asheville. Jaywalking laws are practically never enforced unless someone is endangering himself in heavy traffic.

Not outraged. The cops were dicks, the black guy disrespected them on the street and took a thumping for his poor street smarts.

Another paper weighs in. Again: if the officer did nothing wrong, why is the FBI investigating? Why did the officer resign before he could be fired? It’s like you have all these rote answers running through your mind, and you don’t know how to critically THINK.

Asheville city authorities say that Hickman was forced to hand in his gun and badge the day after the beating in August, and resigned in January before he could be fired as the result of an internal investigation.

An investigation from the FBI, which comes in addition to a criminal investigation by the Asheville police of their own officer, will likely focus on violations of Rush’s civil rights.

Rush told the Citizen-Times that Hickman used racial slurs against him as he was being treated for his wounds.

He is black and the officer is white.

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/national/fbi-investigating-n-officer-jaywalking-beating-article-1.3862652

Another paper weighs in. Again: if the officer did nothing wrong, why is the FBI investigating? Why did the officer resign before he could be fired? It’s like you have all these rote answers running through your mind, and you don’t know how to critically THINK.

Asheville city authorities say that Hickman was forced to hand in his gun and badge the day after the beating in August, and resigned in January before he could be fired as the result of an internal investigation.

An investigation from the FBI, which comes in addition to a criminal investigation by the Asheville police of their own officer, will likely focus on violations of Rush’s civil rights.

Rush told the Citizen-Times that Hickman used racial slurs against him as he was being treated for his wounds.

He is black and the officer is white.

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/national/fbi-investigating-n-officer-jaywalking-beating-article-1.3862652
How many times have you run from the police?

The better question is why do black men get murdered by cops on a regular basis, whether they run or not.

Search this site for jaywalking. Has a white man ever been killed over it? Why do cops turn into fearful snowflakes who have to kill or be killed - if the man is the wrong color? I mean, feel free to live in denial. Just don’t expect me to join you.

The better question is why do black men get murdered by cops on a regular basis, whether they run or not.

Search this site for jaywalking. Has a white man ever been killed over it? Why do cops turn into fearful snowflakes who have to kill or be killed - if the man is the wrong color? I mean, feel free to live in denial. Just don’t expect me to join you.
The best question is how many times have you run from the police.

More white men get killed by cops than black men. However, it doesn't fit the narrative the MSM wants to be national news.

You do know more white men are killed by police than black men?

Police kill more whites than blacks, but minority deaths generate more outrage: analysis

Yeah, I don’t read RWNJ rags. Find an actual case study with facts and statistics, and get back to me.

Forum List

Back