Our National Deficit

Rye Catcher

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2019
First of all, lets look at the debt since 2016:

Now, the concern is putting money into our infrastructure, which will provide must needed repairs or replacements of bridges, tunnel, canal, dams by age and/or natural disasters [Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, etc.}.

Doing the work to protect people and properties will be costly, yet the large number of jobs to do so will reduce unemployment benefits and provide revenue to the treasury; it will be funded over 10 years, probably longer since fiscal conservatism has kicked the can down the road or decades; and now, thinking and curious people will ask what benefits did the debt under the former administration provide to our country.

Once money stops flowing from the source it has for over 150 years there is stagnation and unrest the US federal govt. has made investments in the US by creating a deficit.

• Banned
Did anyone above read the links in the OP? Or, are they ignoring the truth of the matter and seeking to sabotage reality?

First of all, lets look at the debt since 2016:

Now, the concern is putting money into our infrastructure, which will provide must needed repairs or replacements of bridges, tunnel, canal, dams by age and/or natural disasters [Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Floods, etc.}.

Doing the work to protect people and properties will be costly, yet the large number of jobs to do so will reduce unemployment benefits and provide revenue to the treasury; it will be funded over 10 years, probably longer since fiscal conservatism has kicked the can down the road or decades; and now, thinking and curious people will ask what benefits did the debt under the former administration provide to our country.
Why is less than 50% of the infrastructure Bill being spent on actual infrastructure. Rye?
I'm sure you're not concerned about the added debt this Bill alone will create.

I find it disingenuous of a poster that points to the other side and attacks the spending
of another administration. Then, supports his own tent doing the same or worse.
I would like to see more consistency, and no doubt would garner more respect.

Partisanship is a mental disorder

Why is less than 50% of the infrastructure Bill being spent on actual infrastructure. Rye?
Riders on bills are a plague in our politics. It makes me conspiracy-minded sometimes. Sometimes I think Democrats and Republicans in office are on the same page about something but have to pretend they're not, so somebody puts forth a bill that has riders they know will sabotage the bill. That way it's easier to bullshit your base about your intentions.

If these people are honest why do they not put forth more simple bills that would address things we can find common ground on?

Last edited:
I'm sure you're not concerned about the added debt this Bill alone will create.
Have you read the entire bill? I haven't and I suspect (as usual) very few members of The Congress have read the bill. Here is the link, it is nearly 2,000 pages:

Now, some of the items are cherry picked and used to sabotage the entire bill. The OP speaks to the infrastructure, and the tenure of the funds (over ten years) and how kicking the can down the road is foolish.

Yet those who haven't read the bill and are not doing any research at all decide to do nothing but post offensive and ludicrous comments.

Explain your reasoning?
That has been the process by which our government has been operating for the last forty years. The wealthy figured out, it is better to loan the government money and collect interest than pay taxes. During that forty years we have seen the taxes continually cut for the wealthy and for corporations. We have capital gains rates cut to a point lower than earned income for those in the higher tax brackets. And we have seen the debt explode.

Notice, the deficit is never a problem when taxes are being cut. Of course, we get that same old bullshit about how revenue will actually go up. But when it comes to government spending, except for that spent on the military, well suddenly the deficit becomes a problem. It is all a game and the underlying theme of that game is the statement I made.

Riders on bills are a plague in our politics. It makes me conspiracy-minded sometimes. Sometimes I think Democrats and Republicans in office are on the same page about something but have to pretend they're not, so somebody puts forth a bill that has riders they know will sabotage the bill. That way it's easier to bullshit your base about your intentions.

If these people are honest why do they not put forth more simple bills that would address things we can find common ground on?
I agree, and yet the Democratic Party is itself divided. The Progressives want everything and more, which is not helpful; on the other hand, the Republican Party is mostly cohesive in seeking to win their jobs and to add enough new Senators to regain the power.

All that we can know is that $3.5 trillion equals zero dollars, but only when democrats spend it.

New Topics

Forum List

Back