OSHA Says 97% of Worst Industry Violations Found at BP Refineries

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
The Cutting Edge News

Two refineries owned by oil giant BP account for 97 percent of all flagrant violations found in the refining industry by government safety inspectors over the past three years, a Center for Public Integrity analysis shows. Most of BP’s citations were classified as “egregious willful” by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and reflect alleged violations of a rule designed to prevent catastrophic events at refineries.

BP is battling a massive oil well spill in the Gulf of Mexico after an April 20 platform blast that killed 11 workers. But the firm has been under intense OSHA scrutiny since its refinery in Texas City, Texas, exploded in March 2005, killing 15 workers. While continuing its probe in Texas City, OSHA launched a nationwide refinery inspection program in June 2007 in response to a series of fires, explosions, and chemical releases throughout the industry

Refinery inspection data obtained by the Center under the Freedom of Information Act for OSHA’s nationwide program and for the parallel Texas City inspection show that BP received a total of 862 citations between June 2007 and February 2010 for alleged violations at its refineries in Texas City and Toledo, Ohio. Of those, 760 were classified as “egregious willful” and 69 were classified as “willful.” Thirty of the BP citations were deemed “serious” and three were unclassified. Virtually all of the citations were for alleged violations of OSHA’s process safety management standard, a sweeping rule governing everything from storage of flammable liquids to emergency shutdown systems. BP accounted for 829 of the 851 willful violations among all refiners cited by OSHA during the period analyzed by the Center.

Top OSHA officials told the Center in an interview that BP was cited for more egregious willful violations than other refiners because it failed to correct the types of problems that led to the 2005 Texas City accident even after OSHA pointed them out.

No other oil company inspected by OSHA since June 2007 was even close to BP in the number of citations issued. Sunoco Inc. was cited for 127 alleged violations, eight of which were willful. ConocoPhillips Co. was cited for 119, four of which were willful, and Citgo Petroleum Corp. for 101, two of which were willful.

Remember everyone! We can trust the corporations! They have our best interests in mind!

$dim-4.gif

It is my bet that the "facts" you just provided are blown out of the water within a couple hours.... thats all.

You seem to not get that this information was received under the freedom of information act. So good luck trying to refute the actual facts. :thup:

But do go ahead and answer my question if you don't mind. Do you think companies like BP should have even less regulation after this spill? Or how about the Massey Energy company?

The idiot kid probably thinks that drilling operations and refining are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Nope. However, blatant violations of regulations is blatant violations of regulations. What do you think should be the course of action taken against BP there Si Modo?

The idiot kid probably thinks that drilling operations and refining are the same thing. :rolleyes:

Nope. However, blatant violations of regulations is blatant violations of regulations. What do you think should be the course of action taken against BP there Si Modo?
Do you have a point to make?

First, your OP is something about trusting corporations. Trusting them to do what? Make a point.

Now, I guess as you have been called out on the lack of any significant relationship between refining operations and drilling, you ask what I think should be done against BP. For what? Their refining? Their drilling?

Make a fucking point or ask some comprehendible question.

Try getting your verb tenses correct while you're at it.

Christ, what an idiot you are.

Last edited:

First, your OP is something about trusting corporations. Trusting them to do what? Make a point.

Now, I guess as you have been called out on the lack of any significant relationship between refining operations and drilling, you ask what I think should be done against BP. For what? Their refining? Their drilling?

Make a fucking point or ask some comprehendable question.

To answer your first question, I suppose you did not read my OP.

Remember everyone! We can trust the corporations! They have our best interests in mind!

I haven't been called out on anything. What I'm wondering is what do you think should be done to BP for everything, the spill and of course the blatant violations of regulations here.

Someone certainly is in a pissy mood today. I would hate to come online everyday, pissed off, and venting my anger on a message board. But hey, that's just me.

This one's for you Modo:

:beer: :party:

P.S: While calling someone out on their typing, probably shouldn't spell words like comprehendible wrong.

Sincerely,

Your Pal Modbert.

:cool:

Make a fucking point or ask some comprehendable question.

To answer your first question, I suppose you did not read my OP.

I haven't been called out on anything. What I'm wondering is what do you think should be done to BP for everything, the spill and of course the blatant violations of regulations here.

Someone certainly is in a pissy mood today. I would hate to come online everyday, pissed off, and venting my anger on a message board. But hey, that's just me.

This one's for you Modo:

:beer: :party:
Actually, you ARE an idiot. You're just too immature to have any insight into that.

You're also a liar. I am not online here every day. Liar.

And, anyone who thinks a corporation has any interest but to make money is a moron.

Christ. You are stupid.

Perhaps you want to tell me to google dogbert's/modbert's/Robert's GPA at some unnamed school, eh? Or, are you just going to copy and paste some image from some database? LMAO.

Moron.

Liar.

Now, quote me correctly, troll.

Last edited:
Actually, you ARE an idiot. You're just too immature to have any insight into that.

And, anyone who thinks a corporation has any interest but to make money is a moron.

Christ. You are stupid.

Perhaps you want to tell me to google dogbert's/modbert's/Robert's GPA at some unnamed school, eh? Or, are you just going to copy and paste some image from some database? LMAO.

Moron.

Liar.

For what I bolded, we agree. Tell that to the people who say we can trust the corporations to have our best interests in mind. :eusa_shhh:

I never said you specifically either, I just said I would hate to live such a life. But hey, if we are going to talk about you, every other day. Better? :)

Funny, I don't think I ever told you to google my GPA, now who's trolling? I think the only one who is lying now is you.

You'll be happy to know ol' pal that I got two A's and a B+ so far back from this recent semester. Still waiting for two other grades. :cool:

Christ. You are stupid.

Moron.

Liar.

For what I bolded, we agree. Tell that to the people who say we can trust the corporations to have our best interests in mind. :eusa_shhh:

Ohhhh! So you started a thread on a strawman?

Another troll thread by Dogbert. :thup:

Strawman? Not quite.

What's got you down pal? Want to talk about it? :)

May this picture brighten your day!

$Cute Picture.jpg

Strawman? Not quite.

What's got you down pal? Want to talk about it? :)

May this picture brighten your day!

View attachment 10314
Yeah, it's a strawman because, gosh...just look at who is the only one in the thread who said corporations have some other interest.

Moron. Look up strawman.

Idiot.

It's another troll thread of yours.

Boring and lacking in any intellectual integrity.

Now whine that it does, kid. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's a strawman because, gosh...just look at who is the only one in the thread who said corporations have some other interest.

Moron. Look up strawman.

Idiot.

It's another troll thread of yours.

Boring and lacking in any intellectual integrity.

Now whine that it does, kid. :rolleyes:

Not quite. It's called trying to start a discussion. I was hoping someone who has such a viewpoint would join us for some nice tea (I'd go to the coffee shop, but no politics, plus not a coffee drinker myself). :eek:

Someone certainly is upset though.

Let's sing!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ogQ0uge06o&feature=related]YouTube - Bare Necessities[/ame]

Besides, this thread doesn't fit the definition of a strawman.

define:strawman - Google Search

A straw man is a fallacy in which an irrelevant topic is presented in order to divert attention from the original issue. The basic idea is to "win" an argument by leading attention away from the argument and to another topic.

This is the original topic, so it's not diverting attention from any original issue. :cool:

AP IMPACT: Fed'l inspections on rig not as claimed - Yahoo! News

snip

Whatever the correct citation total — five or six — the Deepwater Horizon's record was exemplary, according to MMS officials, who said the rig was never on inspectors' informal "watch list" for problem rigs. In fact, last year MMS awarded the rig an award for its safety history.
snip

At first, officials said 83 inspections had been performed since the rig arrived in the Gulf 104 months ago, in September 2001. While being questioned about the once-per-month claim, the officials subsequently revised the total up to 88 inspections. The number of more recent inspections also changed — from 26 to 48 in the 64 months since January 2005.
No explanation was given for the upward revisions. AP granted the officials anonymity because without that condition, communications staff at the Interior Department, which oversees MMS, would not have let them talk.

snip

Whatever the correct citation total — five or six — the Deepwater Horizon's record was exemplary, according to MMS officials, who said the rig was never on inspectors' informal "watch list" for problem rigs. In fact, last year MMS awarded the rig an award for its safety history.
snip

At first, officials said 83 inspections had been performed since the rig arrived in the Gulf 104 months ago, in September 2001. While being questioned about the once-per-month claim, the officials subsequently revised the total up to 88 inspections. The number of more recent inspections also changed — from 26 to 48 in the 64 months since January 2005.
No explanation was given for the upward revisions. AP granted the officials anonymity because without that condition, communications staff at the Interior Department, which oversees MMS, would not have let them talk.

But, doncha know, Fitah? Refining operations and drilling operations are the same thing. :lol:

Christ. You are stupid.

Moron.

Liar.

I never said you specifically either, I just said I would hate to live such a life. But hey, if we are going to talk about you, every other day. Better? :)

Funny, I don't think I ever told you to google my GPA, now who's trolling? I think the only one who is lying now is you.

You'll be happy to know ol' pal that I got two A's and a B+ so far back from this recent semester. Still waiting for two other grades. :cool:

Early in dubya's first term, he was able to gut OHSA and replace regulation with "Voluntary Compliance".

banner.gif

States have a broad array of programs focusing on voluntary compliance with workplace safety and health regulations–including free consultation visits to employers’ worksites, voluntary protection incentives, safety and health conferences, publications and guidelines for model programs. Many innovative solutions developed by the states have been adopted by federal OSHA.

2001 OSHSPA Report - State Incentives: Promoting Voluntary Compliance

I love it. Imagine "suggested speed limits" on freeways while driving cars with "suggested safety recommendations"? This would put Republicans into "hog heaven". How many would put their wallet where their mouth is and put their families into one of those "safety free" autos.

snip

snip

In that case:

LOS ANGELES – The federal agency responsible for ensuring that the Deepwater Horizon was operating safely before it exploded last month fell well short of its own policy that the rig be inspected at least once per month, an Associated Press investigation shows.

Who Watches the Watchmen indeed. Regulations are not going to be worth a grain of salt if the actual tests to make sure they're up to regulation are not done.

Forum List

Back