Oreilly Auto Parts is amazing!

So about 2 weeks ago my Dodge lost it's engine. A quarter million miles of heavy hauling finally ended my trucks life lol

So today I went to Oriellys to get a part for my other truck and I remembered I still had parts I bought FOUR YEARS ago to rebuild the front end suspension on the dodge. I inquired on the best way to sell them as they were never used and they said bring em in and we'll inspect them. I went and retrieved the parts and they gave me a 100% refund.

I was in total shock. The parts were still new but the packaging was trashed after 4 years. I did not expect that to even be a remote possibility.
That is cool!
Agreed and totally unexpected. I was just asking to see if there was some online site I could use to get some value out of them. I ended up getting a new catalytic converter for half off.
Never realized what a catalytic converter could do to a vehicle, till I ruined a nice dang Mazda LX king cab (from back when they were real Mazdas, not Ford) pickup, by not having it properly diagnosed until it was too late. Dumb-Assed move on my part.
Yeah, mine just kicked the code a few days ago.
Was gonna just weld on a straight pipe but found out if I did that the o2 sensor would kick a constant code on the dash cluster. Don't wanna deal with that annoying shit.
Mine came on shortly after after work at dealership. I blew it off and blew it up in about a month and a half, dead on the side of the road, just suddenly started losing power, smoking like crazy. Only thing besides the light had been slight increase on the oil pressure gauge. Mechanic said it had collapsed. Replace it, but it was toast. Continued smoking but not like the day it blew and used oil. Traded a month later with the lesson learned. Another one of those dumb-ass mistakes I wouldn't have to make again.

So about 2 weeks ago my Dodge lost it's engine. A quarter million miles of heavy hauling finally ended my trucks life lol

So today I went to Oriellys to get a part for my other truck and I remembered I still had parts I bought FOUR YEARS ago to rebuild the front end suspension on the dodge. I inquired on the best way to sell them as they were never used and they said bring em in and we'll inspect them. I went and retrieved the parts and they gave me a 100% refund.

I was in total shock. The parts were still new but the packaging was trashed after 4 years. I did not expect that to even be a remote possibility.

What are you gonna do with the Dodge?
Probably part it out then scrap it.
I already have the wheels, tires, grill and a few other parts sold. But I'm not allowing any parts off of it till everyone is ready so I don't have a junk vehicle sitting at my house.

I'm a big fan of Scotty Kilmer youtube video's. He is an old school car mechanic who has made a ton of 5 minute video's on how to fix and maintain your car based on common sense and years of experience. ... :cool:
Yup, some good tips from him.

I am a YouTube licensed auto mechanic lol

So the Negroes in your area didn't burn down the auto parts store?? Great!

I bought one of these jumpers based on Scotty Kilmer's recommendation. Had it in the trunk of my car for about a year. Then one day my daughter's battery bit the dust. Used on her battery and the car started right up.
Sold my old school jumper cables at a garage sale.
I've been buying this new high tech jumper to give as a gift to close friends and relatives. ... :cool:

Was gonna just weld on a straight pipe but found out if I did that the o2 sensor would kick a constant code on the dash cluster. Don't wanna deal with that annoying shit.

“MIL Eliminator”

Illegal, of course, but if you can get away with it…

A modern vehicle has at least two Oxygen sensors, one before the catalytic converter, and one after.

The one before is used to measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust coming out of the engine, in order to adjust the fuel/air mixture. That's crucial to the proper operation of the engine. Too much oxygen means the engine is running lean, and needs more fuel for the amount of air that it's taking in, and not enough oxygen means it's too rich, and needs less fuel.

The one after the cat is just to monitor the cat itself. Of the oxygen remaining in the exhaust before it hist the cat, some of it is used to further react certain pollutants in the exhaust, so the exhaust coming out of the cat should have less oxygen than the exhaust had going into it. The readings from the two oxygen sensors are compared to verify that the cat is using as much oxygen as it should be to reduce pollutants. The P0420 and P0430 codes indicate that a catalytic converter is not using enough oxygen, meaning that it's probably not doing its job.

An MIL eliminator generates a fakes signal, simulating that from a post-cat oxygen sensor reading the output from a properly-working cat.

Now, whether you can get away with it is another thing.

The 1997 V6 Ford Contour that I used to have had a total of three cats. There was one coming off of each bank, built onto the exhaust manifolds, which fed into a Y-pipe that fed into a third catalytic converter. It was the first two, the one off each bank, that has O2 sensors set up to check them. When those cats failed, I installed MIL eliminators. As the exhaust still went through that third cat, my actual emissions were low enough to pass a smog test.

If the only cats in your car are the ones that have the O2 sensors set up to monitor them, then if they are failing, you probably won't be able to pass smog, as my Contour was able to do.

“MIL Eliminator”

Illegal, of course, but if you can get away with it…

A modern vehicle has at least two Oxygen sensors, one before the catalytic converter, and one after.

The one before is used to measure the amount of oxygen in the exhaust coming out of the engine, in order to adjust the fuel/air mixture. That's crucial to the proper operation of the engine. Too much oxygen means the engine is running lean, and needs more fuel for the amount of air that it's taking in, and not enough oxygen means it's too rich, and needs less fuel.

The one after the cat is just to monitor the cat itself. Of the oxygen remaining in the exhaust before it hist the cat, some of it is used to further react certain pollutants in the exhaust, so the exhaust coming out of the cat should have less oxygen than the exhaust had going into it. The readings from the two oxygen sensors are compared to verify that the cat is using as much oxygen as it should be to reduce pollutants. The P0420 and P0430 codes indicate that a catalytic converter is not using enough oxygen, meaning that it's probably not doing its job.

An MIL eliminator generates a fakes signal, simulating that from a post-cat oxygen sensor reading the output from a properly-working cat.

Now, whether you can get away with it is another thing.

The 1997 V6 Ford Contour that I used to have had a total of three cats. There was one coming off of each bank, built onto the exhaust manifolds, which fed into a Y-pipe that fed into a third catalytic converter. It was the first two, the one off each bank, that has O2 sensors set up to check them. When those cats failed, I installed MIL eliminators. As the exhaust still went through that third cat, my actual emissions were low enough to pass a smog test.

If the only cats in your car are the ones that have the O2 sensors set up to monitor them, then if they are failing, you probably won't be able to pass smog, as my Contour was able to do.
20200601_155842.jpg

Turns out what I bought can't be used and what I need will take two weeks to get here so I'm going to cut out both converters and weld in some straight pipe for now.

Forum List

Back