Oregon will allow undocumented immigrants to get licenses

Is there a good reason for providing DLs to people who are in the country without documentation?

• Yes

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Yes, it will make them feel more secure and then perhaps prompt them to become legal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it will prompt others to test the limits of what they can get away with

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Yes, it's a way for the state to make more money

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's a way for the state to make more money

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
I've given up expecting two things, at least in public internet forums - 1) to not be called a racist if I oppose a boneheaded concept and 2) for individuals who support this type of legislation to put emotion aside and try using some brain power but I'm going to trudge ahead nonetheless.

My question is as follows - I was required to provide a birth certificate in order to get my first drivers license and to provide a state issued ID at least, in order to obtain a passport. How is our government going to verify people to whom they are issuing drivers licenses if they are "undocumented" which I presume means they have no documents proving who they are?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Undocumented immigrants in Oregon will legally be able to obtain driver's licenses under a measure sent to the governor's desk.

Senators voted 17-10 Saturday to expand driving privileges to all Oregon residents regardless of their immigration status. Gov. Kate Brown is expected to sign.

The move will make Oregon the 14th state to allow undocumented immigrants to drive. New York approved a similar measure earlier this month.

I moved this last part out of the block above because I don't want to run afoul of any copyright issues

The bill has been a priority for pro-immigration groups who say that undocumented immigrants often live in rural areas which requires having a car. Those without proof of residence say they live in fear that they could be deported over a traffic stop being in the country unlawfully.​

The reasons they do it is so they are legal to drive because they be driving anyway. The Feds have the ability to control immigration violations, other people in state govts. do not have any authority to even ask if they are a citizen or not. Do you see how the law works? Some laws are for the feds, and some laws are for the states and neither the two shall intertwine.
It is also known as jurisdiction.

I've given up expecting two things, at least in public internet forums - 1) to not be called a racist if I oppose a boneheaded concept and 2) for individuals who support this type of legislation to put emotion aside and try using some brain power but I'm going to trudge ahead nonetheless.

My question is as follows - I was required to provide a birth certificate in order to get my first drivers license and to provide a state issued ID at least, in order to obtain a passport. How is our government going to verify people to whom they are issuing drivers licenses if they are "undocumented" which I presume means they have no documents proving who they are?

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Undocumented immigrants in Oregon will legally be able to obtain driver's licenses under a measure sent to the governor's desk.

Senators voted 17-10 Saturday to expand driving privileges to all Oregon residents regardless of their immigration status. Gov. Kate Brown is expected to sign.

The move will make Oregon the 14th state to allow undocumented immigrants to drive. New York approved a similar measure earlier this month.

I moved this last part out of the block above because I don't want to run afoul of any copyright issues

The bill has been a priority for pro-immigration groups who say that undocumented immigrants often live in rural areas which requires having a car. Those without proof of residence say they live in fear that they could be deported over a traffic stop being in the country unlawfully.​
Oregon lefties are feeling guilty about their ban on blacks from 1844 to 1926. I have news for them. They're never going to catch up unless the push their own people aside to make room for more immigrants a major solicitation effort.

Edit: fixed date

The reasons they do it is so they are legal to drive because they be driving anyway. The Feds have the ability to control immigration violations, other people in state govts. do not have any authority to even ask if they are a citizen or not. Do you see how the law works? Some laws are for the feds, and some laws are for the states and neither the two shall intertwine.
Might as well let illegals vote. They will vote anyway.
Might as well allow felons to carry guns around. They are going to anyway.
Might as well allow men to prey on 16 year old girls. They are going to anyway.

See how that works?

See how that works?
Yes, it is better that they are licensed than unlicensed..

Appeasements never work for the good of anyone

Appeasements never work for the good of anyone
Then we should have never bailed out the rich...

See how that works?

Rewarding criminal behavior increases it. They are here illegally and the only benefit they deserve is 3 hots and a cot in a jail cell until they are shipped back.

It will also allow them to vote. You forgot that part.

My state requires (actually, strongly SUGGESTS) you have proof of ID -- a DRIVER'S LICENSE.

Why? The only "advantage" I see is from the state's perspective. It makes them a few extra dollars.

It won't make illegals better or safer drivers. It won't stop their tendency to drive and drink. Impacts of Illegal Immigration: Traffic Accidents
Or to ignore insuring their car, or registering it properly. Sanctuary for Illegal Alien Drunk Drivers?
Or stop them from driving cheap unsafe junkers around that can be easily abandoned in case of accidents...something I have personally witnessed a number of times.
It makes it easier for them to vote illegally.

A license does none of that. It only makes it possible for law breakers to stay in this country more easily.

My state requires (actually, strongly SUGGESTS) you have proof of ID -- a DRIVER'S LICENSE.
They can if the law allows local voting but they have to show proof of citizenship in every state to vote in a federal election.Why does the right continuously need reminding of the law?

Why? The only "advantage" I see is from the state's perspective. It makes them a few extra dollars.

It won't make illegals better or safer drivers. It won't stop their tendency to drive and drink. Impacts of Illegal Immigration: Traffic Accidents
Or to ignore insuring their car, or registering it properly. Sanctuary for Illegal Alien Drunk Drivers?
Or stop them from driving cheap unsafe junkers around that can be easily abandoned in case of accidents...something I have personally witnessed a number of times.

A license does none of that. It only makes it possible for law breakers to stay in this country more easily.
Makes it easier to find them also..

Maybe I didn't ask the right question. If a person is "undocumented" then what documents do they present to the state licensing agency to prove who they are in order to obtain a driver's license or other state ID?

I couldn't wait to get my license when I turned 16 but the state of California damn sure wouldn't allow me to have one without 1) proof that I had taken a driver education course (and passed), 2) proof of who I was (my birth certificate) and maybe even proof of where I lived, probably provided by my parents.

Maybe it's just me but undocumented implies "no documentation" of who you are. Without that, on what basis can any state legally issue a drivers license? Federal immigration law has nothing to do with it at that point, at least not to the extent of merely supplying the required documentation. They refuse to issue licenses to citizens if they don't show up with the proper papers, why are they unable to do the same for those who are in the country unlawfully or did they change the rules and no longer require ANYONE(?) to have to prove who they are or is it only undocumented people who don't have to prove who they are? If it's only the undocumented, on what basis are they allowed to carve out an exception. This seems contrary to basic security protocol.

Same thing for white non-illegal migrants..The state has zero authority to arrest a person for being an illegal without a federal writ.

They can if the law allows local voting but they have to show proof of citizenship in every state to vote in a federal election.Why does the right continuously need reminding of the law?

We do?

We do?

Yes and et al others that don't understand how the law was written.

Maybe I didn't ask the right question. If a person is "undocumented" then what documents do they present to the state licensing agency to prove who they are in order to obtain a driver's license or other state ID?

I couldn't wait to get my license when I turned 16 but the state of California damn sure wouldn't allow me to have one without 1) proof that I had taken a driver education course (and passed), 2) proof of who I was (my birth certificate) and maybe even proof of where I lived, probably provided by my parents.

Maybe it's just me but undocumented implies "no documentation" of who you are. Without that, on what basis can any state legally issue a drivers license? Federal immigration law has nothing to do with it at that point, at least not to the extent of merely supplying the required documentation. They refuse to issue licenses to citizens if they don't show up with the proper papers, why are they unable to do the same for those who are in the country unlawfully or did they change the rules and no longer require ANYONE(?) to have to prove who they are or is it only undocumented people who don't have to prove who they are? If it's only the undocumented, on what basis are they allowed to carve out an exception. This seems contrary to basic security protocol.
You can be undocumented yet have documents on your person which proves your identity. In Missouri you have to prove citizenship to drive in Oregon I guess you do not..

Same thing for white non-illegal migrants..The state has zero authority to arrest a person for being an illegal without a federal writ.
You are dodging the subject, quisling. A driver's license doesn't make it easier for the state to arrest someone
for being here illegally...they won't do that anyway.

There are ZERO advantages for the state to issue driver's licenses to illegals (except for small financial gain) unless you are a sanctuary state, as Oregon is, and then there is great advantage in assisting people in breaking the law.

The only question is are you stupid and completely unaware? Or complicit in helping bring down the US?

You are dodging the subject, quisling. A driver's license doesn't make it easier for the state to arrest someone
for being here illegally...they won't do that anyway.

There are ZERO advantages for the state to issue driver's licenses to illegals (except for small financial gain) unless you are a sanctuary state, as Oregon is, and then there is great advantage in assisting people in breaking the law.

The only question is are you stupid and completely unaware? Or complicit in helping bring down the US?
With a picture the cops at least know what he looks like-duh and fuck your Quisling bullshit this has nothing to do with Nazism..

Forum List

Back